Guest viewing is limited

THR liberated at last

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only grand is a girl who is 2 & 1/2.... she has some computer skills though!

I am doing really well with my recovery overall - slept so well last night - the best in years.... now just bummed about what might be a setback, though I feel great, and absolutely don't want another surgery...

thanks for the offer of a grandkid loan.... :)
 
liberatedhip How about scrapbooking for that darling granddaughter? Isn't it frightening how early they catch on to all things electronic/digital? I went to a museum special exhibit (Dale Chihuly, WOW) where all the pre-adolescents were using mom's iPhone to take pictures with, and all the adolescents had their own. And the little ones in strollers were using the spare iPhone as a teething ring. Sheesh:rolleyes:
 
The x-rays showed that the femoral stem component has "subsided" or sunk down into the femur about a cm
I've heard of it happening but it shouldn't. One theory is that the stem wasn't correctly sized to the inside of the femur. It should be matched exactly by the reaming out (not by choice of stem size). If the reamer was overworked in the bone, then there is space for the stem to sink down. That's my understanding anyway. One of those "it can happen but it shouldn't" scenarios.
 
thanks, Jo. Do you know what the next step is when this happens? Is it something that works itself out or is revision needed?
 
oh, and also, my doctor said that it probably happened because of my weight - but that doesn't necessarily follow or a lot of overweight THR would have this problem, right?
 
No it doesn't follow. If I were you, I'd get a second opinion.
 
Well, it might settle down and be okay but if it doesn't it needs a revision. (Sorry - I mentioned the "R" word!) Hope you're not really upset by this but there is a possibility that it may be loose and if it isn't the stability of the joint might be compromised. Only time will tell.
 
thanks - I was afraid of that and I am upset at the thought of a revision, but not at you... :)
 
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share an update.... At my last Dr. visit, the x-ray showed that the stem had not moved further than was seen at the 2-ish week checkup. I have really been protective of the leg and haven't done anything to reproduce the "clunking/popping" that happened early on. My OS says that the thinks the parts are all in good alignment and does not recommend a revision. He cleared me for outpatient PT and to see him again in six weeks. I have to say that if it weren't for this littlel bump in the road, I am having a great recovery. I feel stronger every day, am starting to take some steps without a cane, and am only using tylenol for pain during the day - have very little pain at all, actually, though still get tired easily.

I have been following the goings on in Bonesmart land and it gives me a lot of pleasure and comfort to know that others are going through this process too. i am not much for being "online" - I know that in today's world that could be limiting, but that is just what feels right most days. However, I really do appreciate the community here along with the information and support.

Monday will be my six week anniversary and I am hoping for the best. Starting back to work but will be easing into it.

will be checking back....

:)
 
Also, wanted to wish everyone on the journey, at whatever stage, happy healing, good rest, and a pain-free and active future....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom