Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

Well, Dr. McPherson seems like a revision specialist who understands the potential metal issues.
 
He really isn't a revision specialist per se. I can't find anyone in the Los Angeles area who claims to be a revision specialist. He told me that Dr Penenberg and he are the only two who will take on revisions in the Los Angeles area. He said most doctors don't want to deal with it. I did find a doctor who advertises online that he is a specialist but he is located in Orange, CA, at least 100 miles away. It would be difficult getting back and forth for followup appointments after my surgery. I am going to check him out anyway but I am concerned that I won't be able to get back to see him after the surgery. Cedars was a third of that distance and it about did me in in the beginning after my first surgery.
 
If an OS is doing more than 50+ revisions a year, he should have the skill and experience you are looking for.
The OS's also may list that they do complex joint reconstruction.
Hope you find some answers to your questions.
 
Pumpkin, Does this sound like he is a revision specialist? I changed the name to "He" because I don't know if it is legal to copy his site.
"He has published numerous articles on his specialty interests and has authored chapters on periprosthetic total knee infection and adult reconstruction in medical textbooks. He has also co-authored book chapters on hydroxyapatite coatings in orthopaedic surgery and cemented total knee replacement. He is also very active in broken link removed: https://laoi.org/research.htm. He has served as either principal investigator or co-investigator in 19 studies, several of which are still in progress. He is also a clinical investigator for the ceramic-on-ceramic acetabular system, which is an FDA investigational device.

He has been an invited lecturer to national and international medical conferences and symposia, speaking on his specialty interests. He is also one of the designers of the Vanguard Knee System and the Medallion Revision Hip System.

He is a member of The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, The American College of Surgeons, The Musculoskeletal Infection Society, The Societe Internationale Chirgue and Orthopaedic Traumatologie (SICOT), The Charleston County Medical Society, and The Association of Military Surgeons of the United State"
 
uscbgal1971,
It would be best if you delete the text and just leave the link, you can copy no more than 20% of the text from an article or web site.. He sounds like an OS who does lots of revisions.
I would call his office and ask about how many revisions he does in a year.
 
You can leave the link to his website, others may be interested.
 
I undeleted it because I wanted to comment on it. Fact is, all surgeons have a similar CV. It's required if they have any qualifications like being board certified. They have to write articles and give presentations, be involved in research and have membership of all those institutions. So essentially, it just means he has complied with all the requirements of his position.
The Aesculap implant has a 7-layer multilayer coating designed for performance and potentially reduces metal ion release.
This is the Aesculap Advanced Surface coating

[Bonesmart.org] Lesions caused by metal sensitivity
 
So Joesphine does that mean he might not be a revision specialist? He does say that he has authored chapters on periprosthetic total knee infection and adult reconstruction in medical textbooks so that would lead one to think he has had quite a bit of experience in reconstruction wouldn't it? Is reconstruction the same as revision?
 
Josephone, Thanks for posting the info regarding the Aesculap implant. I was wondering if anyone on Bonesmart has had experience with this implant? Are there any Germans here who might have had the implant? I understand it has been used in Germany for about ten years.
 
Los Angeles is a pretty big area. I'd be very surprised if only two docs were doing revisions there.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
"He is also one of the designers of the Vanguard Knee System and the Medallion Revision Hip System."
Since he's into resigning revision systems, he is obviously interested in this topic. I just didn't want you or any readers to be so impressed with this profile as it's pretty standard.
So does that mean he might not be a revision specialist?
And the Vanguard system which he has been involved with also includes revisions stuff so yes, I would imagine that does infer a degree of expertise!
regarding the Aesculap implant. I was wondering if anyone on Bonesmart has had experience with this implant?
Possibly but not that I can recall off hand. Actually not a lot of people mention the type of implants they've had. A lot don't even know! But you might pop it into the search tool and see what comes up.
Mind you untick the "titles only" box though.
 
Diana and Jean, I thought the same thing. There must be more doctors who do revisions. I question when the doctor tells me something that seems not likely truthful. I contacted Aesculap and they gave me Dr McPherson as one of the people who has used the implant in Los Angeles. The question remains, however, how much has he used it and has he done a revision with their revision implant? If it has only been out a year or two he probably hasn't used it much. I am pretty sold on this implant from watching all of the Youtube videos but I have a problem with it being so new. The doctor who participated in the design is located in Memphis, Tennessee. His name is William M Mihalko, MD PHD. He works out of the Campbell Clinic. I am considering going to Tennessee unless I can find someone out here who has used the implant more than a time or two. Maybe I should just wait for a couple of years until it has a little more of a track record but then I will lose a couple years of my life to pain and inability to funcition. The woman in the Youtube video was able to cross her legs only two weeks after surgery. To me that is a miracle. I can barely lift my foot off the ground to get my pants on and it has been 1 year almost eight months. I can't even lift my foot to wash it. It is a real pain being this limited.
 
That is an interesting article Diana. I have been wondering if I am having a reaction to my implant because I have developed a strange ringing and swishing sound in my ears. I thought it might be from my blood pressure pills because the manufacturer has changed and the pill is different than the one I have been taking for years, but after reading that article, I am wondering if I am developing an allergy to my implant and if it is manifesting itself by ringing ans swishing in the ears. I have the Oxynium knee but I was told by the rep at Aesculap that not all parts of the implant have the protective zirconium covering like the Aesculap implant does, so it could be possible that I am having an allergic reaction to my Oxynium knee.
 
I hope not. :( But if you are, I hope you're able to get it diagnosed and treated quickly.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks Jean. If it is the cause, I am pretty sure that it will be an uphill battle trying to convince a doctor that I am having an allergy to the inplant. My cardiologist didn't want to consider that my blood pressure pills may have caused the ringing and my surgeon the same. I think that he is not convinced that people can have allergies to implants. I wonder why doctors are so reluctant to acknowlege allergies since 10-15% of patients have allergies to nickel. I have now changed to a third blood pressure pill and the ringing and swishing in my ears has not gone away. That leads me to believe it is the implant since there is nothing else that has changed.
 
Back
Top Bottom