oh2sew
junior member
I have several other friends who had a THRs done and they have all been very active right after. Fortunately, they didn't have a leg length discrepancy, so they had no problem. I know everyone is different, so I just have to do what works best for me.
I never really had "bad hips". My hips never hurt. I had a labral tear and the groin pain I would have occasionally over the years is why I went to the Dr. But it was due to the labral tear. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the Dr fixed it during my surgery. I will find out in the next couple of days. So, my case is a bit different because I just wanted the groin pain fixed. Other than that, my hips were fine.
Oh my! @Bellydansr this sounds so much like my situation with the labral tear and groin pain. When I first started going to the doctor about the groin pain, I had an MRI done in which it was determined that I had a torn labrum in my left hip. I could ride bikes, etc. and nothing would bother me, but then about an hour later, the groin pain was pretty bad. Due to my age (55 at the time) my doctor said that having the torn labrum repaired would open me up to arthritis in my hip and he recommended a hip replacement. I put it off for over a year and had it done in December 2016. Just like you, I wanted the groin pain fixed and gone... My hips never really hurt even though on the x-ray you could see that the joint space was getting pretty narrow.
My left leg (hip replacement side) was also longer so he shortened it by about 1/2 inch.
My question I'm trying to figure out is (and my doctor hasn't/won't answer) is the labrum removed during hip replacement surgery, or if it is torn, is it fixed?
I know I am only 9 weeks out, but I have the same symptoms now as I did before hip replacement!
United States
I went by my doctors office today bc they had not called me back to answer this exact question. I also got a call back from them about 4 hours later, not knowing that I had stopped by their other office. They DO remove the whole labrum during surgery. So, now I have no idea why my groin hurts so bad unless it's just referred pain or something. Of course, I have only used ice on my thigh, not my groin area, so that might have something to do with it.
They did say I would be lucky if the muscles etc tightened back up which would pull it up a little, but it wouldn't help a full inch. I have my followup on the 27th and I will be talking with the Dr. then about a bunch of stuff. 

