TKR Left TKR On July 15, 2014 And In Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
After work, I stopped by the gym in my office building. 10 min on the bike, 5 min on the treadmill, stretching exercises, hamstrings/quad machine with no weight. Came home and iced, elevated. Feeling good! So grateful for a positive session.


July 14th, 2014 Left Total Knee Replacement
 
Worked on my stair walking yesterday...now the lateral aspect (outer) of my knee is hurting again. This happened when the PT first had me 'do stairs' in post op weeks 5-7 until I told him, "No" it hurt too bad. I was never to get either the OS or PT to tell me the specific anatomical area that was hurting. OS was vague and said the soft tissue is adjusting to the new bionic knee. Well, it's back again. Is it the lateral collateral ligament? A tight IT band? Do I continue to practice my stairs or back off and go back to the bike, treadmill and stretching? Anyone have a similar experience or suggestions? Thanks! I am so glad I have Bone Smarties to ask.
 
Anyone have a reference of a good PT or OS in Atlanta, GA I can consult? I would just like to talk to another OS or PT about this? Thanks!


July 14th, 2014 Left Total Knee Replacement
 
I would not do anything that causes you to hurt---you will just make it worse that way. (Ask me how I know this oh so well!!!)

I think seeing another PT is a great idea.
 
@skigirl thanks for validating what I know deep down. But it's hard not to feel negative that the stairs and this pain are associated


July 14th, 2014 Left Total Knee Replacement
 
They have developed 'knots (spasms)' the more PT I do ... I have found great relief using a foam and/or stick roller. Followed by a relaxing warm bath...it helps me more than anything..Has anyone else tried this?
Not being able to get out of a bath due to dodgy shoulders, I am unable to do that so I get my chiropractor to do most of that. But areas I can reach I do this Acupressure massage.
Worked on my stair walking yesterday...now the lateral aspect (outer) of my knee is hurting again. This happened when the PT first had me 'do stairs' in post op weeks 5-7 until I told him, "No" it hurt too bad. I was never to get either the OS or PT to tell me the specific anatomical area that was hurting. OS was vague and said the soft tissue is adjusting to the new bionic knee. Well, it's back again. Is it the lateral collateral ligament? A tight IT band? Do I continue to practice my stairs or back off and go back to the bike, treadmill and stretching?
I think you've said it all yourself! But why are you still doing stuff like stairs at 15 weeks? Ordinary activity like walking should be quite sufficient. Get your life back, girl!

As for the surgeon saying it's "the soft tissue is adjusting to the new bionic knee", I find that a real phob-off comment! I think I can do better for you -

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR On July 15, 2014 And In Recovery


[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR On July 15, 2014 And In Recovery
 
@Josephine : my pain is in a very small but specific area of DLF4. Upon my examination, it feel is as if it is just after a bony area. The most lateral potion of the knee. No where near the patella. Almost exactly where the joint flexes between the major bones. It is best described as a 'biting pain' upon knee flexion like walking, stairs, etc. I don't really feel the 'biting' when I do heel slides, etc. It definitely feels better when I have not overused the knee, rolled the quads/hammies, taken a warm soak, etc.

Why did I do the stairs again? I felt like at 15 weeks out, I should try it again. Related to my activities, I feel like I am flying blind because when the OS/PT released me, they told me I was behind in the stairs and the quad/hamstring machine activity. it was on my 'aftercare exercises. Of course, the nurse in me told me there was something 'not quite right' with the exercises. I saw other patients in their OS PT gym complaining of a lot of pain while doing their activities as well. It bothers me at so many levels because this OS is VERY well known in the Atlanta, GA area for his TKR. How could is philosophy for TKR PT be so off??? But I know now it is...

So with all that being stated...#1 any idea of what anatomical area I keep pulling/aggravating? #2 is there a guide of what PT is actually good for me and how I can progress from this point onward?

You and all the BoneSmarties have turned into my lifeline for recovery and I do share this site with all the people I know who are troubled with knees and hips!
Thanks,
Mary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine : you are a Saint! I kept trying to guess but needed someone with experience to tell me straight out. Finally I know and have a name for it. It is such a relief to know and NOT think its all in my head from NOT doing enough. Thanks so much sweet Angel!! I Much love to you and love to my BoneSmart knee friends!!
 
@referee54 I hope I am following the correct procedure for asking to change the title of my thread, please let me know if I am not (I was able to do it once myself but I no longer see the option at the top right of my thread :-( so I am sorry to bother you). Will you please change my thread title to 'Left TKR on July 15, 2014 and in recovery'. Thanks! have a good day!!
 
@referee54 thanks! I plan on staying around here and wanted it to reflect my overall journey!


July 14th, 2014 Left Total Knee Replacement
 
@Josephine aka Earth Angel...I saw my Chiropractor/Massage Therapist today. They are in practice together. They both concurred that it was my ITB. Too early and too much of PT. I started massage and electro-stim treatments. Wow, I didn't realize how 'knotty and painful' my hip, glut, mid thigh area was. All I knew was the side of my knee had a biting/burning pain. I thank you again for helping realize my issue. I am so grateful for your support and all my new knee friends.


July 14th, 2014 Left Total Knee Replacement
 
@Josephine i started with a Massage Therpist today that worked on my ITB. I never realized how 'knotty and painful' my hip and upper tibal region was until she began working the entire length of the band. Thanks again for helping identify the issue. It's allowed me to seek the care I needed. It was a positive experience!
 
Stretching, a little stationary bike (5min), massage therapy yesterday, weather in Atlanta dipped into the 40s overnight = cranky knee today. Ice, elevation, a little Tramadol. Oh, the ebb and flow of recovery. May I have a little cheese with my whining??!!
 
Is it wrong that even though I did too much on Tues and rested most of Wed and today, that I now want to try stairs? What is wrong with me?? I'm only 6+ weeks out but want to do more and more. I'm not going to but it's an almost uncontrollable urge.

I'm so glad you found BoneSmart. I have benefited greatly from reading all the stories.

Thanks for your posts. -- Joni
 
@Djbrund I went from being a gym rat and boxer 5 days a week to this. I am guessing you had a full life and then BAM ... practically nothing but 'the knee'. I was told by my Doc and PT to do the stairs, elliptical at 6 weeks and dutifully did them and ended up with IT Band issues. I am still dealing with it in week 15. Don't be me!! I know its hard but take care of that 'baby knee' .. protect it from your willful desire to stair climb..LOL!!! :bignono: .. I wish they sold patience at WalMart or Target .. I'd buy them out!! Hang in there 'knee friend' we knees will get thru this together!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom