TKR Left TKR On July 15, 2014 And In Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a gentleman in clinic today who'd had a bilateral TKR 5 years ago. I saw him earlier in the year when he was in a LOT of pain in both legs and was totally mystified when I asked him about his exercising during the first 4 weeks! When we finally go down to business I found he had been doing crazy amounts of exercise with very little rest, no icing or elevating and etc. When I pointed this out to him, he said he was gym rat and used to doing all that. But I had to point out to him that while he was used to it, his knees weren't since they'd just had major surgery. Today we discussed that again and he remarked how the physios had told him to do "whatever he found comfortable" little realising what he was normally accustomed to doing. So though it hurt him, he considered it 'normal' and there was no-one there to tell him to stop! Good point there and kind of validates my role on BoneSmart as I AM here to tell you all to stop!
 
@Josephine you are the best nurse/healthcare professional ever!! :yahoo: As patients we need someone to give us those boundaries ...I am really shocked how little information is really provided to patients before or after. With all the money that is spent on healthcare, patient education and the latest buzz words/term in the US is 'patient engagement' .. I am appalled and extremely frustrated since going from nurse to patient. Since I have joined BoneSmart, I have referred everyone I know to this valuable and obviously necessary source of patient engagement! You and the BoneSmarties are changing that one knee/hip at a time.:egypdance:
 
I echo every word you said there, my dear! It is my passion to get this message out there, not only to patients but to professionals as well. I fear I am whistling in the wind sometimes though!
 
@Josephine we shall all whistle the same mantra together ... we shall create hurricane force winds of change to carry the proper information to all healthcare professionals and patients across the globe! All great initiatives come from passionate people . And patient engagement is person empowerment!! :yes!:
 
McPeaches,
Yes I was very active. I gave up racquetball about 4 or 5 years ago because of my knees. I have been a gym rat my whole life. But mostly I hike! About 5 days a week for any where between 3.5 miles to 8-10 miles. Always in hills or mountains. This June I'm walking part of the Camino de Santiago, a 500 mile hike across northern Spain. This is why I want to begin rehabbing (training). This is not like other surgeries where you start with a walk around the block, then twice around the block, then easy, flat hikes, then one short hill, etc. I do something for the first time and it's fine while I'm doing it, but then pay for it for 36-48 hours. GEEZ!!

Oh, and my eating hasn't changed, but no exercise. How did I lose weight?? (I'm a fatty). I walked into the gym for the first time and everyone noticed a weight lose. I guess I lost muscle. I need my muscle!! I've also lost my calluses. I need those too!! Hahaha. This damn knee!! -- Joni
 
@Djbrund my parish priest did that 2 years ago and is taking a group on May 2015. I saw his pictures and heard his journey. I imagined it would be a great experience. You'll have a great time. Don't overdo these early months doing too much ... thinking it'll make it better faster!

I totally lost my appetite for months. I've lost 35+ lbs. it's the one thing people say to me too! Of course I blitz my liver out with all the meds I took when not eating, so definitely not the way too lose weight. I've lost a ton of muscle too. But I will find it again once I heal a bit more. You will too. Muscle memory!!

I am a nurse but I obviously knew nothing about TKR...nothing like the many knee arthroscopic surgery I've had since my 20s. I thought those were tough. That was child's play. I am amazed by what the Doc/PT, literature does NOT tell you about this. I think the world of @Josephine and the other moderators of this Forum. They will help us get thru this journey.

Take care of that baby knee and don't over do!
Mary
 
@Josephine: I hate to keep bothering you but reading some else's journey .. It made me curious ... I had osteoarthritis that was one problem with my knee. If I had it before and other joints are also affected (fingers, right knee) will it recur in the bones of the new knee? The thought never occurred to me and since the Doc's never told me anything worthwhile ...I thought I'd ask the expert...:flwrysmile:
Thank you and have a great Friday!!
 
LOL! That's a new one! It won't because they cut away all the diseased bone and tissue so only healthy bone is left.
 
Hey Everyone!! My Rehab Week#16 began today. Do I still having challenges? Shoot yeah. But I also am working my recovery plan and I know it will all come together. If it weren't for my BoneSmart knee friends, I'd still be feeling alone, confused and lost. Major props to all of you and MyKneeGuide that led me to you all and contributes support and information to my recovery plan! :yahoo: :loveshwr:
 
@Josephine oh challenges like my liver functions (which are getting better now that I use 'food as medicine' -- lots of green leafy veggies, turmeric, celery, lemon..juiced every morning. Broccoli, asparagus, etc), autoimmune stuff I never knew I had until I was tested for why I felt so bad after surgery... Knee challenges like my IT Band biting, tight band around my knee cap when I walk too much .. Stuff like that. I still am working on my gait and cadence. All affected by the IT band...I am told. I must tell you since you identified the IT band issue on me and I really focused on those exercises and found a massage therapist who works just on that ... I rejoice in reporting that whole 'biting pain' is getting less. For me, it really helped knowing what was causing the pain and having a rehab plan to address it. You are definitely one of God's Earth Angels. Bless you for the help you provide! :egypdance:
 
@Josephine I believe in angels..Guardian Angels, Saints, etc but I also believe God uses humans as Angels too. He leads Them to us when we have struggles. Sometimes we don't even know we are struggling or what we need. We often excuse these events as coincidences, happenstance, whatever term...but these special humans provide us what we need most ... exactly when we need it. I have been blessed with a few of these in my life especially with this bad left knee that has has caused me issues since 1980. That is how I know you are one of His Earth Angels! You are my blessing and for that I thank you. :angel:
 
FWIW, I believe in them too! I have no doubt that God has prepared me all of my life to run this forum.
 
@Josephine oh you sweet soul!!! I just saw your YouTube video!! I saw you and heard your story of knee Replacement. You are a kind woman with a sweet face and disposition. Exactly what I knew God's Healing Earth Angel would look and sound like. I wanted to report in to you. I have had 3 massage therapy and e-stim treatments for my IT Band issue. Oh my...what a tremendous difference it's made in 1.5 weeks. And all because you told me what I was suffering from. Bless you my sweet heaven sent Angel. I even walked DOWN 3 steps to my porch today without thinking!!! When I got down on the landing ...I stopped and thought...OMG! I didn't even mean to do it. I just instinctively did it. That hasn't happened in YEARS my dear, Josephine!! :yes!:
 
Sweet face? I always thought I had a face like the back end of a bus! :heehee:

But you are so sweet to me and I don't deserve it - the glory goes to the Lord, yes?

I'm also delighted you have had such improvement. That's wonderful!
You're on your way, girl!
 
@Josephine First and always, Glory to God. He sends us who we need just when we need it. How else would I have found all these BoneSmarties???
Your face is as lovely as your soul.
I am well on my way ...and for that I am ever grateful to all who have helped me (even that dreadful Doc and PT that hurt me and wouldn't tell what was wrong so I could fix it. I must give thanks because they did help me at first!) Love to all my BoneSmarties!!
 
week #17 I finally was able to sleep on both my right and left sides last night. For a side sleeper, it was nirvana!!!!:wowspring:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom