Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR done

Status
Not open for further replies.
:shrug: @Gingiebot
Hi,have no answers /suggestions about the tendon and previous foot surgery for you.
But, here to listen & support whenever you need it.
Take care and you are in my thoughts.
Cathie
 
Ok...I'm trying again.
Gee wizz, Gingie - only 7 hours between tags - can a girl not get a good night's sleep anymore? :mcoffee:
(I'm kidding - you know I'm kidding!)

My left foot posterior tibial tendon is still way popped out with swelling, and quite painful. @Josephine is this something you have seen before? How could my TKR cause this?
Well, I should think that the chances of someone have both a posterior tibialis transfer and a TKR are pretty small so I don't think I've seen one, no. However, it's entirely possibly that the imbalance in wieght bearing and gait has caused it. After all, you are only 7 weeks out yet.

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR done
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.



btw, would you do an old lady a kindness and knock that bold off your text? It's straining my eyes.
 
Good luck with this. I don't have the same thing but I do have posterior tibial tendinitis and it was a bit aggravated after the tkr, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some connection. I hope Josephine and maybe your OS will be of help.:console2:
 
@Josephine. I'm in a bit if a rush but will do my best to answer. Leaving to drive home to Tucson soon.

Pain....average is 3, but have spikes to 5-6.

Meds...15 mg extended release morphine 2x day. 2mg. Dilaudid every 4 hours for breakthrough pain...not doing this much.

Ice multiple times daily for an hour or more.

Elevate most of the time...not always above heart. Have a recliner and am in it, with feet up, pretty much round the clock.

At last measurement my knee was pretty swollen, so I think I can do better...my measurement was 1 extension and 103 flex.

I do some light cooking, walk the dog on short walks, go out to eat. When I shop I use electric scooter in store.

Exercise...PT and OT were coming 2x a week. I do heel slides and foot flexes (point toes, flex toes, etc) off and on all day. Hold on to bar and do toe lifts (raise heels) 3 sets of 10. Kick foot forward. 3 sets of ten. Squats. 2sets of 10. From sitting position...leg lifts. 3 sets of 10. Standing in corner...balance exercises including bouncing balloon off wall, bouncing balloon overhead. Holding on to bar...back kicks, 3 sets of 10.

There are others I can't remember. Have a bunch of arm exercises with theraband.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope this is helpful. The tendon has actually swollen into a hard lump, visible from a distance. My OT looked at it and tried to massage but it was way too sore.

Thanks for any input.
 
Pain....average is 3, but have spikes to 5-6.
On the tendon, I take it?
Meds...15 mg extended release morphine 2x day. 2mg. Dilaudid every 4 hours for breakthrough pain...not doing this much.
okay
Ice multiple times daily for an hour or more.
Elevate most of the time...not always above heart. Have a recliner and am in it, with feet up, pretty much round the clock.
good
1 extension and 103 flex.
That would be 103/3. Not bad for 7 weeks out.
I do some light cooking, walk the dog on short walks, go out to eat. When I shop I use electric scooter in store.
good

My comments in bold
Exercise PT and OT were coming 2 x a week

These are what you do on your own, yes? So how many times a day?
heel slides and foot flexes (point toes, flex toes, etc) off and on all day - okay so long as you are not causing yourself pain - NO PAIN, okay?
toe lifts 3 sets of 10 - don't do these, they'll mess up your tendon
kick foot forward 3 sets of 10 - again do less, 15 maximum
squats 2 sets of 10 - squats are bad, do 5 only, preferable none! They also will mess up your tendon
from sitting position leg lifts 3 sets of 10 - do 10 total
holding on to bar back kicks, 3 sets of 10 - this is a new one on me. I think it's unnecessary
balance exercises including bouncing balloon off wall, bouncing balloon overhead - not good for this stage, perhaps week 12

there are others I can't remember, have a bunch of arm exercises with theraband - well that's helpful because they're often the worst ones.
 
@Josephine, do you think the exercises could be the problem? And no, those are the PT recommended exercises which I was doing with her and also on my own (but not often). I will be starting outpatient PT soon. Maybe I should use just the BoneSmart list of recommended exercises? And the theraband ones were all to work biceps and triceps. Only did them a few times.
 
Do I think the exercises are causing the problem? I thought I'd already said as much
toe lifts 3 sets of 10 - don't do these, they'll mess up your tendon
squats 2 sets of 10 - squats are bad, do 5 only, preferable none! They also will mess up your tendon
And I think if you'd been able to remember all the other stuff you'd been doing, I might have been able to highlight a few in there too.
 
@Gingiebot ,
Read about your A-fib on Nana Moon27's thread. You have really been through the ringer.
Sending healing wishes your way for your heart, and your TKR.
I hope your tendon is better, they are a real pain to deal with.
 
@Gingiebot
Thinking of you with warm wishes and all that you have gone through and now with the Atrial Fib problems.
Know that you are held in warm and good wishes.
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Gingiebot

I'm wishing you well today. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

I do hope that you are starting to feel better. Make sure they look after you in that hospital!
 
@Gingiebot

You'll soon getting tired of my posts, but just found your own Gingiebot Thread again, so will use this to send posts directly to you.

Again, you are being sent warm thoughts for your recovery during this difficult time for you.

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Gingiebot
This has been quite the awful year for you. So sorry that you've had to deal with yet another problem. Thank goodness you managed to get off the floor. I think the first alert button is a great idea. Have the doctors given you any idea of lifestyle changes that will help? I am praying for a full recovery for you. You are incredible in your strength. Love, Christie
 
@Gingiebot

I'm thinking of you today and hoping that you are starting to feel better. :console2::angel:

Are you having physiotherapy to strengthen the weak side of your body?

Post when you can, so we know how you are getting on.

We're here and we care!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom