TKR Left TKR 9/16/2024 and Right TKR 12/2/2024

Please don't worry about your ROM, @JGK! At only a few days in, you have lots of inflammation inside that knee -- that's why it won't bend much.

Ice and elevate...elevate and ice. As your swelling goes down, your bend will come back all on its own -- no pushing or forcing needed.
 
Day 7 update-
My situation is positive despite the pain, which still seems more intense than the other knee. PT is challenging and my progress is the opposite of the first knee where as I’m struggling with flexion not extension on this knee. Don’t get me wrong I’m not hung up on the numbers it’s just weird how different the two experiences are. I can walk and stand (with pain) and I can control the pain with medication, looking for progress everyday. My Pico bandage was changed today, less puckering of the scar, I feel like this pico unit isn’t working properly it buzzes every 2 seconds and it’s annoying but no signs of oozing or moisture so I’m not worried about it. Ankle is swollen as well, icing and elevating it now. I WILL SAY MY LEFT KNEE IS SOLID and went from most sensitive to the workhorse, literally overnight.
Good Luck all,
Jim
 
If your pico is buzzing you could disconnect it and turn it back on and see if that corrects it
It can also be a small air leak
Ask your os if you could just turn it off all together.the dressing will still work

As for.the puckering that's normal. It will reshape over the next 2-6 months
And your night a number is meaningless
Hope your pain goes away soon
 
looking for progress everyday
Please try to avoid this, because you will be sorely disappointed. As you know from your September surgery, recovery is not linear and there will be ups and downs, which is normal.

What I found useful was picking a single day of the week, then on that same day each week, write down the improvements I made over the past week. Even though your Left knee feels solid, there is still healing going on and there will be for months to come.

I'll bet you're happy to have both surgeries behind you. One recovery rolled into the next. It's the way to go if you're brave enough. :wink: I can't imagine going back for more so soon, they'd have to drug me to get me back in there, lol.
Sending you peace, love, and joy this holiday season and many blessings in the new year, JGK! :banana-santa:
 
That's the best philosophy. Some days are better than others . And you will find by going by weeks each one brings some improvement even though small it's a step in the right direction
 
:wave: Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you have a good week.
@JGK
 
Day 18-knee #2
I was released from "in home" PT and started "offsite" PT today. Evaluation was positive, close to 100 flexion and -3 on extension. Way ahead of the game on strengthening now that pain is under control. Working on getting off the pain meds so I can drive is next on the list. I made it back to work this week "light duty" and short days but I'm back at it, just in time for the Christmas Party today. It stinks for my wife as she has to drive me everywhere right now. Big thank you to all the care givers for sure!

Good Luck to all and Merry Christmas,

Jim
 
Great update!

I want to caution you against letting PT push you into stregthening mode this early in recovery. We have seen (and I experienced with my first knee) some overly enthusiastic PTs figure "well, the range of motion isn't a problem, so the next step is working on strength!"

The problem is, good flexion and extension don't indicate healing! On a cellular level your muscles, tendons, and ligaments have not yet healed and are unprepared for the stress of strengthening (things like like quad exercises with ankle weights, repeated sets of stepping up and down, full or semi squats, leg presses, etc.). At best doing reps and sets will create temporary setbacks in your healing. For some it leads to acute tendonitis.

Walking, quad sets, heel slides are safe. Note that tendons and ligaments need a good 12 weeks to heal.

1705510297746.png
 
Happy New Year to ALL!

Yesterday was my 1 month anniversary for righty. Pain has substantially subsided. I am off the pain meds (except before PT). I am back at work and started driving yesterday. PT spends half our time on flexing and half on strengthening, the formula appears to be working. Still stiff but I'm moving forward.

Jim
 
PT spends half our time on flexing and half on strengthening,
I want to repeat what's been said before -- you are much too early in recovery to be doing strength work. At one month post-op, your bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons are not yet healed from the surgery. Please be cautious -- you don't want to risk doing damage to those healing tissues.
 
Some American PTs believe that to establish "progress" once we have good flexion and extension it's time to move on to strengthening, regardless of how many weeks post op we are.
WRONG.
Muscles take a good 6 weeks to heal; tendons and ligaments 12 weeks for minimum basic healing. It's very easy to overdo - especially taking pain med before PT which isn't a recommended plan! Save it for after! - and end up with acute tendonitis.
I caution against anything involving ankle weights, resistance, or squats this early.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Jim!
Happy New Year too! Heading into 2025 with two new knees. :walking:
I hope it's one of your best years ever! :thumb:
@JGK
 
Moving "right" along, lol.
I asked that all the strengthening exercises I am assigned at PT include the left knee as well as I feel my right knee is stronger than the left. Monster walks, stationary bike, step up/down exercises, stretches and leg lifts with 2 lb. ankle weights and finally 60 lb. leg presses. I am NOT straining to perform any of these exercises and constantly evaluate my progress or lack of. While I appreciate the advice on taking it easy, I have faith in the path I'm on. I see the Dr on 1/15 and I'm pretty sure he will release me from PT, my flexion was 120 yesterday and extension is 0. No pain, ish and no pain killers!

Have a great Day!
Jim
 
I'm glad your regimen in working for you @JGK . It's true that in both directions - more active, less active - "one size fits all" doesn't fit everyone. As long as you're mindful of a good muscle ache post-exercise vs pulling at tendons or increased swelling, keep going!

BTW my own strength regimen on 18 month/almost 2 year knees is going great. I recently increased my leg presses to 200# and my quad extensions and hamstring curls to 95#. Making sure to get good protein intake, especially in the first meal after each gym session!
 
Last edited:
I am NOT straining to perform any of these exercises and constantly evaluate my progress or lack of. While I appreciate the advice on taking it easy, I have faith in the path I'm on
This is good!
Each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you. Sounds like you're doing this and doing well. May it only get better, JGK!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you're doing well, Jim.
Enjoy the week! :)
@JGK
 
  • Like
Reactions: JGK
Hey Jim :wave:
How is your recovery going? You're three months in to date. Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Guessing you're feeling stronger and more energized these days? Consider leaving an update next time you stop by, we'd love to hear from you.
I hope you have a good week!
@JGK
 
Progress update... I stopped PT at the end of January. I (and my doctor) felt that the extension and flexion achieved were sufficient. Since then, I have resumed all my pre surgery activities, work, recreation etc. Some days I suffer with some pain, seems to corelate with the weather but for the most part everything is going great, TBTG. I still walk downstairs awkwardly and I do experience stiffness when I am immobile for long periods of time, but I will not be deterred. No pain medication, no PT and my follow up visits have been positive. Everyone has a different experience, for me losing 30 pounds prior to the surgeries, keeping it off and keeping moving has served me well. Good luck to all!

Jim
 
Awesome report! :yes!:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom