Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left One Done 7/31/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Nashville---what a fun town! Congratulations on your great progress.
 
Josephine this info was in my xray report from Oct. Can you tell me what it means and if I should be in touch with my OS?

"The patient is status post right total knee arthroplasty. The
individual prosthetic components appear to be normally related to
each other. There is some minimal lucency developing with regard to
the tibial stem. This could represent very early loosening of this
component although this component still is anatomically seated.
Periarticular soft tissues are notable for some mild diffuse soft
tissue swelling about the knee. There may be a small joint effusion
present.

Thanks!
 
There is some minimal lucency developing with regard to the tibial stem. This could represent very early loosening of this component although this component still is anatomically seated.
'Lucency' means there is a space where it's not expected to be. The second sentence states the facts. The space seen is the separation between the bone and the stem. It also says its very early meaning the movement - as there will be some micro-movement - has not yet caused any shifting of the implant.
Periarticular soft tissues are notable for some mild diffuse soft tissue swelling about the knee. There may be a small joint effusion present.
'Periarticular' means around the joint. Seems there is some swelling probably with some fluid in the joint which can occur when there is a loosening.

All in all, looks like you need a revision. Have you seen your surgeon yet?
 
I saw him on Jan 25 but he did not mention this report and did not take an xray. Looks like I will be calling him on Monday. Thank!!
 
Had a great weekend last week! Daughter and I went to Nashville for the weekend. Went to a couple of great shows, saw some old friends and walked all over. Knee did great!!

Congratulations on doing so well with all of that walking. That is spectacular! :yes:
 
Can anyone out there give me any advise or relate their experiences with a TKR revision? I know i have read some posts regarding this but any help would be greatly appreciated:)
 
Krynn, I have some posts under "Open lysis of adhesions" where I had surgery to remove adhesions and replace a liner. That is a revison of sorts. Try going into search and see what you find. Kelly
 
Called OS on Monday. He was not worried. He assured me that I was doing fine. Trouble is...since I talked to him I have had some pain in the kneecap area. I don't think it is related to the implant but not sure what it might be. I have some pain and discomfort when walking. I have iced and elevated and been good to the knee today. I will admit that Thursday I did a lot of walking, a short Curves workout, and my aquatics class. That probably aggravated the situation.:sad: If it continues, Doc may get another call on Monday. Any thoughts, Josephine?
 
I remember getting aches and pains for months after the op if I did anything like a long day of retail therapy or something. I dislike walking intensely so that was never a problem for me but a day at the shops - oh boy! that could be a real killer! But no more, eventually it did stop.

So take heart, Krynn, this may still be part of the recovery process and so my best advice is to try and pace yourself a bit more.
 
:iagree: It is important to find out where your limits are--- and, of course, you find out by doing too much sometimes!! But, you are still relatively new at recovery and it really does take some time. Also, my stamina was slow to come back, take care of yourself---you still have a ways to go. K
 
These aches and pains show up in different places and then go away---they seem to migrate around the knee and surgical leg---I know that I had many "ouchies" that would pop up for no reason and then disappear. It is all fine and normal---all part of the healing process.
 
Just wanted to share a bit of info I got at my GP's office. I told him that I was having trouble falling asleep at night. I think my sleep patterns were again messed up by my retirement and not having a regular wake up time. I mentioned to him that I was taking an occasional Benadryl to help. He told me that regular use of that can cause memory problems and could affect driving. He suggested I use an otc vitamin supplement "Glycine" . It seems to have a good effect on my getting to sleep. Will see about the memory problems:)

I am 7 months out and still trying to find that happy medium. Some days I have lots of energy and hardly any discomfort. Other days, I just don't want to do anything but gentle stretches and ice. I guess I have a ways to go to get there but it seems like(and i know we should not compare ourselves to others) I will never get there. But I will keep trying!:)

This board has been a tremendous help to me in my recovery. Thank you to all:thankyou:
 
I guess I am a little stressed out. It has been 7 mos and I still have the tight bands around my knee. I can climb stairs fairly well ..going down another matter. I ice every evening after my exercises. Alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen 4-6 hrs
I also have this rash/patch on the outside area by my knee, It comes and goes but tonight it is red and itchy. GP said to put hydrocortisone cream on it but it still concerns me being so close to the new knee and all:what:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Left One Done 7/31/14
Those tight bands are aggravating, but at least they're not really painful. And they last as long as they last. Mine were gone by 9 months. So hopefully yours will not be around too much longer now. And I am not 16 months post op and going down steps is still not really very comfortable---I guess I should practice more---I have a ramp here at home---and don't go many places where I have to climb stairs, thank goodness. I don't let it worry me as I can do most things I want to do with no problems. And we weren't promised perfect knees just much better ones.


Rashes on the surface of the skin are annoying, but you really do not need to be worried as far as your knee is concerned. Infections that affect the implants are really quite rare.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Left One Done 7/31/14
 
Pretty bummed:sad: ! I have to stop aquatics wellness class for a while. I have developed a rash which I think is from the bromine in the pool(different from the one I posted about earlier). I will really miss it! Hopefully. I can go back after a couple of weeks. Just have to ride my bike and walk more :bicycle1:
 
First of all, thanks for all your post Krynn. What you have expressed is helping many others with similar issues. There are nights that i have some crazy muscle contractions and it has been 5+years. There are so many little issues that pop up and no one really has an answer. When we step back and view the whole forest, our quality of life has improved. We will not be 30years old again, but we are making strides to have a better quality of life.
You are getting there both mentally and physically. I know everyone that reads your posts are pullling for you.
Best of life,
David
 
Just an update..
I have joined the "Y" and taking aqua classes and working out gently in the gym area. My first day in the gym, a really nice staff member showed me how to use the machines and was very helpful with showing me the machines and how to use that would benefit my TKR . The pool is nice but it is not well heated:shrug: Guess that will be good with the summer coming:)
I still have the tightness but not as bad. Icing helps, of course:) I have an appointment with my OS next week to get an injection in my unoperated knee. I, also, have a concern to bring up with him. I am having some pain when I am laying in bed and bend my knee(the tkr one). It is mostly on the outer side of my knee by the kneecap. I am thinking this is more tendon or maybe IB problem. Josephine do you have any thoughts on this?

Other than all this, I am doing well. No more cane, walking more and getting ready for my trip to Nashville:dancy:
 
The pain on the outside of your knee is most likely the IT Band giving you grief.

While your quad muscles were weak, the band tighened up---now, the quad muscles will have to take control again, but they have to be strong to do so. The IT band can pull the kneecap a little to the side, which does cause some pain too. I will give you the two library articles on the IT band. I sometimes go to my pt and he stretches my kneecap and massages the IT band, which does help.
Ilio-tibial band (ITB) issues and pain: exercises
Ilio-tibial (ITB) band information
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom