Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

The washout I had yesterday went so well, the surgeon closed it up for good, so the final washout scheduled for the 29th is canceled. I’m still on a mini wound-vac that looks like it was made by a toy company, and of course my ever-present PICC line delivering IV abx 3 times a day.

Early next week I head over to a rehab facility, in preparation for my TMR procedure.
 
I’ve been doing some reading about the Targeted Muscle Reinnervation (TMR) procedure and it is truly miraculous! The science behind the idea that you attach severed nerves to muscles that still remain in your leg so that they have a “job” to do is an amazing concept. And from what I read, it greatly reduces the main thing people complain about following an amputation….phantom nerve pain. This procedure has allowed many of our injured service members to go back to a very active lifestyle.

It sounds like you are well on your way with all this and I’m happy for you. It’s good news that your surgeon is so pleased with the way things look. Are your pain levels staying manageable?
 
Thank you for sharing what has been a very difficult journey and decision. Such good news about the washout you had yesterday. You made me giggle a little when you said your mini wound vac looks like it was made by a toy company.

Keep your chin up. We love hearing about your recovery.
 
What good news that you are ahead of schedule for your healing and don't have to have another washout!
 
Great to read the first washout went so well they skipped the second, that's a win, WFD!
Will be following your journey with interest and of course to support you through it all. Jamie inspired me to read about the TMR to familiarize myself with what you'll be experiencing. We're here for you always!
@WFD

When you're feeling up to it, let us know if you'd like to update your thread title.
 
And from what I read, it greatly reduces the main thing people complain about following an amputation….phantom nerve pain
The interesting thing is that it was originally invented to provide nerve signals to control an electrically driven prosthesis, and in fact is successfully used for that purpose today, especially for upper extremity amputations.

I’ve read that that its benefits in terms of reducing phantom pain were just a happy accident.
 
Good Morning WFD, I hope you had some decent sleep overnight. Not always easy in hospitals.

I’ve read that that its benefits in terms of reducing phantom pain were just a happy accident
Interesting and thankfully so!
Is the phantom pain constant, or sporadic? I hope its not constant for your sake.
 
From what the surgeon told me, the real serious effects, when they happen, occur months down the road, and the seriousness varies greatly from patient to patient, and over time.

What I do have already is known as phantom limb. I can still feel, with perfect clarity, the missing lower leg. Right now I am laying flat on a hospital bed but the phantom limb is bent down at a right angle and is actually *inside* the mattress. Sometimes the foot is extended and the calf feels tight, so I automatically try to flex the ankle but nothing happens - it feels completely paralyzed. It will itch in different places and without thinking I will go to scratch that spot but my hand only hits empty air. It’s very weird.

One danger is that because I can feel that a leg seems to be present I may try to stand on it, and fall badly. I have to be really careful at this point in my recovery.
 
I can only imagine how strange and even frustrating it must feel to have your leg still seem so real. I do hope you're one of the luckier ones who doesn't experience the more serious effects months down the road.
It sounds like staying safe right now is just as important as healing.

You're doing something incredibly hard and your bravery is inspiring. You are in my prayers for healing, strength and steady steps forward, both physically and emotionally as you navigate this challenging journey.
:prayer:
@WFD
 
I know you'll be glad to get those nerves rerouted. Next week can't come soon enough for you, I'm sure! Thank you for keeping us posted about your journey.
 
This is such a helpful account of your experience, @WFD! If someone is schedule for an amputation, these little things like your feelings will be so incredibly helpful and even comforting to know ahead of time. We can deal with a lot of challenges in life if we have knowledge about what to expect. Don’t hesitate to write about even the most minor experience you have. Your information is priceless.

I agree those feelings of your missing limb in different positions would be strange and possible unsettling until you get used to it. And….dangerous if you accidentally tried to stand without stopping to think. I could see that happening to someone if they woke up at night to use the bathroom and were kind of groggy. It’s probably not as much of an issue in a hospital environment because of the safety rails on the bed. But if that continued once a person was at home, it could cause a bad fall.
 
Just been catching up @WFD with all you have been through. I am so sorry to hear of your difficult journey but it seems there really was no alternative and you are getting very specialist care. It is so helpful to hear of your experiences and the planned TMR treatment.
Wishing you all the best in the coming days and weeks.
 
Your most recent post reminds me of a lesser known book by the late great Oliver Sacks. It's titled A Leg To Stand On.

It describes his personal experience, following an accident, with a temporary psychogenic paralysis and the sense of his own leg as The Other.- it's the opposite side of the coin from phantom limb and his exloration and analysis of it is fascinating.
 
Hello, I hope it's a beautiful Spring day in your neck of the woods.
How are things going for you these past days since you last updated us?
@WFD
 
Hi @Layla , thanks for checking in on me. Today is my last full day at the rehab hospital - tomorrow I am going home. I am deemed competent to get around on a wheelchair, walker, and crutches and take care of myself despite missing a leg

May 23 I go in for my TMR surgery and to some extent the recovery begins again. Then after enough time I start the process of getting fitted for a prosthesis, maybe in August, earlier if I’m lucky.
 
It’s a slow process, but it definitely sounds like you’re doing well with everything. Hopefully the recovery from the TMR surgery won’t be too bad. I have no idea about that as you’re our first BoneSmartie to go through this. But we’ll be with you every step to learn and to do whatever we can to lighten your load. How are your pain levels at this point? Are you able to get around okay to do your normal daily needs? What type of things did you learn in the rehab process?
 
Great to hear you’re leaving the rehab hospital and heading for home tomorrow. I hope you’re able to rest comfortably at home for the next 2.5 weeks before your TMR surgery, your next step toward a stronger more comfortable future. You’re courageous, WFD. Just know we’re here for all of the days, the good ones, the tough ones and everything in between. Cheering you on toward that first step with your new leg…and beyond! Safe travels home tomorrow.
@WFD
 
Thank you for your update. If it was a good acute rehab/physical medicine facility, your preparation for home should have been very thorough!
 
It's great to hear that you're going home tomorrow. I know you'll be glad. I know I would be. It sounds like you're pretty independent and able to get around OK. Please keep us updated. We care!
 
Really rooting for you.
Keep us posted.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom