Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

Praying that you reach the correct decision.
 
We’re here for you with whatever you decide. This is tough, for sure. :console2:
 
I have a feeling you'll be on our mind and most definitely in our hearts waiting - and you know we'll fully support any decision.
@WFD
 
So I've decided to go ahead with the above-knee amputation. I am scheduled to go in next Tuesday 4/22 for the amp, a washout on 4/24 or 4/25, then a final washout and closure on 4/29. Some number of days after that I transfer to an intensive rehab facility (not a skilled nursing facility). At some point in mid-May I go to a different hospital to have a TMR procedure done by a plastic surgeon - this procedure takes all the severed nerves that used to connect to the muscles that aren't there anymore and connects them to muscles that can't do anything because of how they are now anchored. By giving every nerve something to do, the incidence of phantom pain is sharply reduced.

Then home for something like three months of healing and PT, getting around on crutches and a wheelchair. If all goes well, sometime in August I will get fitted for my first prosthetic leg
 
Sending best wishes that all will go as planned and that your adjustment will go well. We’ll be thinking of you.
 
@WFD
Wishing you all the best on Tuesday, and for your recovery as you regain your mobility. Interesting about the TMR to reduce phantom pain, a great improvement over past procedures.
 
You've fought so hard, WFD. This next step, though heavy and life changing, is also a turning point toward freedom from the pain and constant battle both physical and emotional. I hope you're feeling confident that you will heal and be at peace without the weight of the struggle you've endured. You are brave and never alone here. Please allow us to support you as you adjust to this new chapter. We'll be here for you every step of the way.
Will be thinking of you on Tuesday and lifting prayer on your behalf.
God Bless.
@WFD
 
We’ve been so involved with your battle and we’ll be here for you throughout this next stage. I hope you’re feeling a renewed sense of hope with what is to come. The way prosthetics work nowadays is so different from the past and it will be wonderful to see you regain your mobility and live life without the constant stress you’ve been living under. You and your family are in my prayers. For any other folks out there who are in a similar position, it will be priceless to have your updates so they can see that life can be good even in a situation like this. Thank you for your willingness to share this journey with BoneSmart.
 
Best of luck to you, I’m so sorry this has happened and you have been an inspiration. I look forward to hearing about your finally pain free life!
 
I'm glad you have a plan and that it includes TMR. Rooting for you!
 
Having made your decision has got to be a relief. Not knowing what to do is mind-boggling. Now, that is settled, and you can get on with your preparations for next week. We will be with you all the way. Please know that there are lots of people praying for you and for a successful outcome. God bless you!

Please let us know how you are doing every chance you get.
 
Thinking of you this morning and understand it has to be difficult as you begin this new chapter. We're here for you, you're never alone here. I'm sure the path feels uncertain, but step by step you'll get there. Your strength has amazed me WFD. Sending love and best wishes your way today.
@WFD
 
Thanks @Layla .

I had the amputation yesterday and am in very little pain today due no doubt to the two nerve blocks, one of which has a catheter and a continuous flow pump.

The surgeon said the knee was full of pus despite all the abx I had been taking, and that amputation was absolutely the right course.

The lower leg that doesn’t exist anymore does bother me a little - it feels like the ankle is extended, pointing my toes. When I try to stretch it by flexing the ankle, of course nothing happens.

If I am not looking at it, it mostly feels like a normal leg, even though it is not there.
 
…hit Post too early.

Tomorrow back to the OR for a washout and then the 29th for another washout and final close out.

And a picture:


[Bonesmart.org] Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025
 
@WFD …. It’s so good to hear from you and to know you made it through this huge step. Your surgeon’s comments about your knee definitely reinforce your decision, so I hope that is some comfort to you as you begin this new stage of your life.

I’m so thankful you’ve decided to share your very personal story with your fellow BoneSmarties. You will probably never know how important your words are to someone out there who is experiencing something similar and is uncertain about what the future might hold for them. You have a strong will and your positive approach to this procedure will help you through whatever challenges may lie ahead. Please know we care about you and will be with you through whatever is next.
 
Sending best wishes as you heal and adjust. :flwrysmile:
 
A heartfelt hug winging eastward to you.
 
Happy to hear from you and that you are doing well. Keep us posted on how you are doing after all your upcoming surgeries.
Hope you are feeling better with the infection being knocked down.
 
This big step is over, and it sounds like you made the very best decision. The next little steps should be easy compared to this huge one! God bless you and know that you are in many of our prayers!
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom