Guest viewing is limited

Amputation Left Above-Knee Amputation, 22 April 2025

I’m so sorry.

I would want a second opinion, also, just to be sure you have the best information, and the best option.
 
@WFD reading some of your posts and boy have you had a rough road !! I wanted to let you know that I have 4 years experience with a skin graft surgery that occurred because of shingles !!! It was/is on my neck and shoulder area and it’s been 4 years and I’m still not completely healed from my partially failed skin graft surgery. But don’t lose hope for some healing tissue to come along in the graft area. But be forewarned that this skin will become very tight as it heals(I’m still dealing with this on my neck). Not sure what you’ve been told to keep on the area but I find Aquaphor is gold!! Good luck in your journey. I will be reading along as I continue to recover from my baby surgery compared to yours !! Lisa
 
@WFD …. Boy, this was not the update I expected or wanted to see. I’m so sorry about the infection appearing. Given that you are on those heavy duty antibiotics, I can see why the amputation was discussed and recommended by your surgeon. I do think you’re wise for that second opinion, though. My heart goes out to you for having to face this after all you’ve been through. We will be here for support no matter what happens.
 
So sorry to hear of this but it sounds like you may end up with a shorter recovery road and more function (with a prosthetic) than I your native knee. I’m following your thread closely as my son had an infection that caused his hip to have to be replaced. He developed a new infection (or continuation of the old) and is now on IV Antibx with an antibiotic spacer implanted. We are praying we eventually get to stage 2 of his 2 stage hip revision.

Wishing you peace during these hard next steps and decisions to be made.
 
WFD,
My heart goes out to you as you face this difficult decision. I can't imagine how overwhelming this must feel for you and your loved ones standing beside you. Your strength throughout this has been amazing and while this is not the desired option, should you choose it, I pray it leads to relief, healing and a better quality of life for you. Please know that we're here for support and encouragement if / when you need it. Sending love, a hug and lifting you in prayer. :prayer:
@WFD
 
@WFD
I am so sorry to read your infection has returned and you are facing some difficult choices.
Wishing you all the best as you proceed during this difficult time. (((HUGS)))
 
@WFD I know this has to be terribly hard to deal with, sending healing thoughts and prayers. We're here and sending all our good mojo your way to help you make the right decision and heal once and for all. :console2:
 
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I pray that you and your team make the correct decision and that your outcome will be successful. God bless you.
 
So sorry to hear this, and you have had such a great attitude throughout it all. I hope I am like you if my infection comes back (am month four of six oral doxy after 6 weeks Iv antibiotics and a debridement). Thinking of you and hoping things get better.
 
We now have the final or almost final results of the cultures that were taken during that last surgery.

The infection that caused the fever and the green goo is enterobacter cloacae, an anaerobic gram negative bacteria, and I am now on the appropriate antibiotics for it. This is a new infection and I probably caught it after the hematoma destroyed the skin graft. The hospital ID doc said that hematomas are a leading cause of infections in these kinds of situations because it destroys the barrier to infection created by the skin graft, and bacterial spores are everywhere.

Tuesday I get discharged and will go straight to see another surgeon for a second opinion. At this point I fully expect an above-knee amputation. Honestly, it will be a relief just to make this all stop and for the infection to go away.
 
While I’m glad you know more details about the infection and are now on an appropriate antibiotic, I can understand your feeling that you just want this over with and to be able to move on with your life.

This is a new type of infection to me, so I had to do some reading on what it may involve. I can see that it’s quite complex to treat and not particularly common. What your surgeon told you about the hematoma contributing to an environment where it could take hold makes sense. Have you received any guidance from your infectious disease doctor?

We’ll all be waiting for the outcome from your Tuesday meeting. This has been such a long journey for you and I’m certainly hopeful for some means to let you get on a better path.
 
The non aerobic bacterias often call for specialized heavy duty antibiotics; it's good the culture and sensitivities were clear and specific.

Through everything you've been through, while we've often been impressed and deeply moved by your resilience and outlook, I don't think I've ever also explicitly cheered for your various medical and nursing professionals. It sounds like you've gathered a fine team around you. Hopefully this new consult is the right one at the right time.
 
Have you received any guidance from your infectious disease doctor?
As I mentioned before, the ID doc thinks there is very roughly 20% chance that we could kill the infection and save the leg, but I would be on abx the rest of my life, and the knee would probably have very little bend, especially given my history of arthrofibrosis. Given all this, amputation may be the better choice.
 
You know, that makes sense to me too, @WFD. I agree with mendogal that you’ve done a fantastic job of recruiting good minds together on your medical team. Sometimes we don’t get the outcome we’d hoped for, but there is some comfort in the fact that we made the best decision possible to move forward.

I am humbled by your strength through all of this and honored that you chose to share your experience on BoneSmart. I can promise you that it will help others who might be going through a similar situation. Thank you.
 
Pretty scary stuff to be dealing with. I had never heard of that type of bacteria. But as I said last week and you also stated above, the AKA may give you way more motion in the long run once you are able to get a prosthetic device. Good luck w everything!!
 
Hope your discharge and second opinion went well.
It went OK but it was a long day only 6 days out from the surgery.

The new surgeon is convinced he can salvage the limb but admits it will all be for nought if the infection comes back (75% chance according to the ID doc) and even if it works out, I would be on antibiotics the rest of my life and might have very little bend.

The alternative is an amputation, with a much better chance of killing the infection but with all the difficulties of an above-knee amputation.

The limb salvage would be another two stage revision with three months in between, and the armputation would be three procedures over four weeks.

If the limb salvage fails (75% chance) then I would have to get the amputation anyway, totaling five more surgeries.

I’m going to make my decision over the weekend and let the doctors know on Monday and we’ll start scheduling things.
 
WFD,
Holding you in thought and lifting you in prayer for clarity, peace and strength. We're with you no matter what comes next. :console2: :prayer:
@WFD
 
Back
Top Bottom