THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Meant dougie
Spell check quicker that this ole dog


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Checking in at almost 20-months post-surgery and things are good. I am back to all of my pre-surgery activities with the exception of running.
I have been enjoying all of the outdoor activities associated with living on 3/4-acre. Installing pavers, moving dirt, mowing, weed-eating, weeding, watering and grilling.
We went to a family reunion last month which was a 780-mile round-trip in a car. No issues.
We brought two grand-kids back and they stayed with us a week. No issues.
We had to return them home and did the entire 782-mile, round-trip on a Sunday. No Issues.
I could lie and say I was completely pain-free, but it is usually brief and nothing compared to what it was. I could not even stand the thought of being in a car more than an hour.
I just bought a WRX that has a standard (manual) transmission. Six speeds. My clutch foot is on my left leg and I had a LTHR:cool:
I could not even conceive of swimming or floating in a pool. Getting in the pool, getting on a float and even the act of floating was excruciatingly painful.
None of that hurts anymore.
I started WW again and am just about back down to my pre-surgery weight. My suits even fit again.
Life is good.
The hip replacement literally changed my life.
 
Hi @dougie0216 - congratulations! We're both the same. I had surgery in April and have also returned to all my activities except running: Driving, work, cycling, swimming, yard work - and travelling. We're in Australia at the moment.
Warm regards from the Southern hemisphere
Constanze
 
I was cooking dinner and watering the yard simultaneously one-day earlier this week. I suddenly remembered I needed to make some garlic toast before the pasta was done and I ran across the back yard tot he porch. I did not even think about it until I got in. After I got inside and started slicing the bread, I realized what had happened. A genuine "Wow" moment.

I would have to say at 22-months, I am healed up. I am having these nagging thoughts about running again...
 
I am having these nagging thoughts about running again...
I think running (jogging) on appropriate surfaces is probably fine. We have many members who returned to this following THR. Well done on such great progress! Glad you are seeing the benefits of this great surgery.
 
Thank you.

Unfortunately I promised my wife my running days were over :fingersx:

I feel good enough to run. I am within 7-pounds of my Half Marathon weight so the fat that accumulated after surgery is almost gone. My legs feel good. I have even put my weight set back together and have been working on all parts including legs.

The left leg still does not quite have the strength of the right, but they are fairly close, only a couple of reps apart now. I do the extensions with both legs, but the way the unit is configured I can only do curls one leg at a time. I can do 12 curls with the right, but only 8 or 9 on the left on the last set. So, they are close.

I should invest in a road bike, but my guitar habit takes all my money.

And do I want the surgery again in 10 or 12 years, or in 20 or 22... so I would definitely stay off concrete or cement.
 
Thanks for that great encouraging summary. It comes at a perfect time for me, I needed an uplift myself. Congratulations on how well you have healed. I really appreciate when we rookies hear from all you old pro's.
 
Hi @dougie0216 , I agree with lalo. You provided a very encouraging summary. Well done with your recovery!

I did run (jog) actually. First I started very carefully - just 1 Km, slowly then walked another Km and so on (alternately). I can now manage to do my usual 11 km, which I used to do in the lunch hour in the near-by forest next to my work. I browsed around a lot on this website www.hiprunner.com. A website where people with hip replacements exchange their running experiences, and it contains warning etc. and what you must watch out for if you run with a hip replacement. There is this Japanese girl who participated in various races in the UK including the Exeter half Marathon etc. and she inspired me. She looks so happy in one of the photos. Her only issue was muddy shoes :). No worry - there is no evidence that you would wear out the device more quickly. Just listen to your body in order not to overstrain your soft parts. Another good method of getting back to running is the Galloway Method (run-walk-run) (cf. www.jeffgalloway.com). I received this tip from one of our bonesmart friends - Sheryl alias Canuktrimum who has a recovery thread and has taken part in several half Ironmen in Canada.

Is that you and your car in your Avatar photo. You look great. I also drive a car with manual transmission - an Audi A3 from 2004. I'm satisfied. My clutch leg is the operated leg. Changing gear is excellent leg press practice :). Enjoy your new hip and - many more nice family get togethers - Best wishes from the other side of the water (not fence hihihi). - Constanze
 
Hi @dougie0216 , Sorry I sounded a little bit daft. I've realized you've already had lively correspondence with Canuktrimum from Canada and probably know about hiprunner and galloway already. I should have read your thread first which I'm doing now. Always read first (for example before you sign things). You look phantastic on the photo with the guitar. I also like music but I played the acoustic guitar not the electric one when I was a teenager. It's an option as a hobby when I'm retired and/or when I can no longer run. All the best! Constanze
 
Two words: I Ran

It wasn't much, just 1.6k or one mile. No stopwatch, no HRM and no GPS. It was great. Sweating now, time to hit the weights while I am warm ttyl.

And yes Constanze, six speeds, 0-60mph/100kph in under six-seconds. Top speed is 144mph.


Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm going to be a wet blanket but, if you have a knee that is starting to give you trouble , I would think twice about running again. I swear that the replaced knee ( which had been excellent prior to my THR ) is giving me a harder time than my hip.
May I suggest an alternate hobby that will consume every free minute of your time to where you'll never think of running. Take up playing banjo. I had played guitar since I was a teen and had always wanted to, but was hesitant to attempt to learn banjo. Anyway have been at it for over 10 years and still loving it. It will complement your guitar playing and give you a reason to buy a new toy .
 
Hah, I want an accordion but my wife said no. The next toy I get will be a lap steel guitar. My wife is getting a bass for her bday next Feb. I am going to lay it away at a local store and go by and put 20 bucks on it every couple of weeks, she will never see it coming. She actually played around with one a couple of weeks ago at a GC in Dallas.

As for my knee, I had it X-rayed, bent and checked out last time I was at the orthopedic clinic. It does not hurt to run. As a matter of fact the only time it does not hurt is when I am running or walking briskly. It does not hurt afterwards for 8-10 hours. Any type of cardio including weights alleviates the pain. The doc said I was good to run if I so choose. No more HM's or ten K's, just an occasional 5k. I am only going to run 5 or ten miles a week and only on dirt, grass, gravel or the local track.


Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I like both the accordion and the lap steel guitar. Is that the same thing as a Dobro? I tried to get my wife to take an interest in an instrument. For a while I thought she may take to a mandolín but she didn't stick with it. I hope the bass works out you two.
I can't quite make sense of why the knee would only feel good after brisk activity. I hope running works out.
 
Good evening or morning depending on your hemisphere. Two-years ago at this time, I was in a hotel room in OKC wondering just what I had got myself into? My surgery was scheduled for 0730hrs on 20131121.

I am not going to sweat a few hours, so I can officially declare that it has been two-years and I am completely healed IMHO.

I do have my two-year follow up in Oklahoma City on December 14.

I have no complaints, and had I known it was bone on bone, I would have done this many years earlier.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the information and encouragement over the past two-years.

Life is good and I can now go an entire day without thinking about my hip or the surgery. My let hip is a non-issue.:phone:

Peace,

Doug
 
Thanks for the update; it's encouraging to hear about good outcomes.
Did you get the lap steel guitar?
 
Hi @dougie0216, I was very pleased to read your update the other day. Enjoy your music and your sport. Peace to you, too!
Constanze
 
Happy Holidays everyone!

I had my two-year LTHR check-up this past Monday. All is well with the left hip and I don't have to see the surgeon again for two years. I also no longer have to take handfuls of antibiotics to get my teeth cleaned!
My right hip has begun to bother me (of course) but is not bone-on-bone yet so I wont need it replaced for a few years.
Both of my knees have chondromalacia but that is not really news at all, since I was told that when I had knee problems running track in the 1970's... The left one will need to be scoped eventually. Replacement is a long way off... Some of us grew faster than others and our cartilage production lagged behind. The surgeon says it looks like mine never caught up:sigh:

So, all is good with the left hip, and the other joints are hanging in there for now.

Our annual family hunting trip was last weekend and I spent four-days hauling corn, hauling deer, riding ATV's, driving various 4WD vehicles and running around the woods with my 13 and 16 year-old great-nephews. We also had to push a jeep several hundred meters because the battery went dead. We ended up having to tow it...

I am definitely better-off after the surgery. We did not even make the trip in 2013.

I hope Santa brings everyone what they want for Christmas.
 
Hi @dougie0216 ,
Many thanks for the good holiday wishes. Same to you and your family.

Guess what: I ran, too. Started slowly in the forest at my work in the lunch hour where a group of colleagues used to run with me, but they no longer do but I kept it up. The running route in the lunch hour always takes us to the lake where you can go swimming in summer and where the Ironman Germany swim takes place - it's near Frankfurt.

So I slowly increased the distance first 1 km running (and 1 km walking - alternately), then 2 km running until I managed 12. Did a practice half marathon about 5 weeks ago at a week-end (no race, just for fun). It took me 2 3/4 but I did the whole 21 Km. My legs feel fine. In fact, even though, only my left leg was operated on and had to do all the recovery work, both my legs actually feel stronger now.

I think I'm now ready for the traditional 31st December run in my home village, and so I'll sign up for it.

Let's see what the new year will bring for us. I wish you and your family all the best.

Constanze
 
Guess who is ba-ack. I knew the right one was going south. Just before Xmas it started biting me. While on a trip over Xmas it went into full revolt.
Anyway got X-rays yesterday and when they called with results today, I was not surprised. Severe OA right hip. We need to refer you to an orthopedic surgeon. I said, "I Know." Anyway, I am about to be a double hippie[emoji106][emoji16] All good , can't wait.
I was told 3-5 years after my LTHR I would need an me on the right. It was 3yrs, 1mo and 20 days.
Peace out, I will be back and I am happy. Let's do this.


Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart[emoji768]
 
Back
Top Bottom