Guest viewing is limited

THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Yeah Cheryl, I am a big fan of wearing things out. I don't want to hit 70 and have a long bucket list. I still have not jumped out of a perfectly good airplane, but that is about it. I have to lose a few more pounds to start running, and lately, I haven't been losing any. C'est la vie. I might be on the road to maturity, mellowing-out and everything. Actually, it is a busy time of year at work and I have just been eating whatever, and will get back to stressing over not working out once I am not so busy.
 
Another joy in getting old, is in addition to our joints failing us, teeth that have failed us previously will do so again. I have to have a filling replaced in about an hour. My antibiotics just went down-the-hatch. Remember to take your antibiotics if required before visiting the dentist. Fortunately, my dentist has a receptionist who reminds me because my rememberer is also failing:groan:
 
The dentist visit went great, aside from having a filing replaced. The next day, we went on our annual family hunting trip to the ranch (it is a Texas thing). I had to miss the trip last year because there was no way I was travelling 400-miles in a car on that hip. I drove a side-by-side, trekked up hills, waded across creeks, and acted like my inner 15 year-old.

On the antibiotics front, my degrees are in communications and education, not medicine, so I do what my doctor says. I don't have the qualifications to enter the debating society on that one. I suspect it is unnecessary, but I am not going to let four amoxycillins ruin my day. I would prefer not to get cut open again on that side, again.

This Friday is a year, I plan to update my battle scar pic:cool:
 
I agree wholeheartedly! My degrees aren't in medicine nor pharmacology for that matter, so I will go with the doc on this on as it is better safe than sorry. Also I take antibiotics maybe once every 5 years, so I don't feel as though I have built up a tolerance to them. Hey I read @Vetgirl s thread on infection and I don't want to go down her road at all. Now my doctor said I only have to take them for two years as opposed to the rest of my life. He filled out a form provided by the dentist.

Still I am no hurry to run back to the dentist anytime soon though!
 
I made it through the first year. I am already doing many things I could not do in 2013. I actually went in the attic and brought down boxes of Christmas decorations on Sunday after working out which included a set of squats. We will be able to travel to be with family members over the Thanksgiving holiday and Christmas holidays. We went to a concert last month. I am able to sleep all night. I haven't had any narcotics since February. And finally, I am coming to terms with not being able to run anymore...or is it yet? I can still do this-
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right



Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hello-

I had first my yearly checkup at McBride Clinic this morning. Everything is satisfactory with my left hip. Motion and flexibility are excellent. I was telling the doctor that I now refer to it as my good hip, because it is.

The X-rays of my knees and other hip looked good, surprisingly. The pictures look better than they feel. I could possibly have a cartilage issue in my left knee (which is not a new thing) that is causing the pain and swelling. I will put up with it for a little while longer then check into getting it scoped. The right hip has a narrowed space, but no bone on bone, yet. We are going up a grade in NSAIDS. Arthrotec is now generic:praying: and Mobic is not working.

All is well post surgery,

Happy Holidays,

Doug
 
Don't wait too long to get it scoped......no reason you cannot jog when the knee is better...just no marathons and stretch. If it hurts stop, if it doesn't hurt slowly work up to longer run/walks......life is too short and you are too smart to be in pain or wonder if you could have......

Merry Christmas my friend!

Cheryl
 
Doug

Just stopping by to wish a wonderful holiday season! Hope Santa was good to you!:box::santawave:

Cheryl
 
Good afternoon everyone,

this is sort-of my fourteen-month report. We just got back from an awesome three-day weekend in Dallas. 15-months ago I did not even want to get in a car to drive across town, much less hit Dallas. TX in full attack-mode.
Here is what my new hip allowed me to do over the weekend:

Friday, awoke at 0545, got ready and commuted the 22-miles to work.
  • Worked four hours.
  • Drove the 40-miles over to pick-up my wife and drop the extra car off at a friends.
  • Drove the 180-miles to Dallas
  • Checked into the hotel in North Dallas.
  • Went to a movie grill for dinner and a movie.
  • Went to bed.
Saturday, slept in!
  • Continental breakfast had already ceased so we went and grabbed a bite.
  • I went to a Guitar Center while my wife went and had something waxed.
  • Wife is driving on Saturday because it is her turn, so we went downtown to some consignment stores looking for barstools or whatever else hopped in the car.
  • At 2:45 pm we met son #2 and daughter -in-law in Irving for lunch.
  • At four, we drove out to Plano to see a store with impressive bar stool collection.
  • At five we drove back to hotel to freshen up and drive to the nearest DART train stop (which was across the freeway so walking was not an option.)
  • At 5:39 we hopped the train and went down to the American Airlines Center for a Dallas Stars hockey game.
  • 9:30 pm, Stars Win! we head back to the train stop.
  • 10:00 we catch the Red Line Special Events train heading north.
  • 11:00 we realize we are fifty something and scratch any plans for dessert.
Sunday 0800 the alarm goes off.

  • We pack up and research bar stools on Craigs List.
  • 10:00 we check out of hotel and head to Richardson to meet kids for brunch.
  • After brunch, we head out to Rockwall (about 20-miles east) to purchase two bar stools.
  • At 1pm, I find myself re-arranging vehicle so bar stools will fit. They did.
  • At 1:30, we begin to drive the now 200-mile distance home.
  • After stopping to retrieve extra vehicle and picking up some fajitas to go, we get home around 5:30
I am not going to lie and claim I was not a hurting unit Monday morning. My entire lower body was in rebellion from the travel, the strange chairs and all the walking. We probably walked a couple of miles checking out the arena Saturday night alone. Don't get me started on Arena seats, but they were good seats and it was hockey, so a little pain is all part of the deal. I did set off a hand held metal detector.

The important thing is, I was able to participate in family activities and not have my arthritis holding me back.
If no one has told you yet, Happy New Year.
 
My Warranty has Expired?!?
I managed to catch sinusitis just after returning from a weekend in Dallas. While visiting with my doctor (primary care physician) I commented that this was the third upper respiratory malady I had contracted since LTHR. He looked at me with a straight face and said, "Oh, that is because your warranty has expired."
I laughed at that one for most of the 25-miles home. He was laughing too but did say if it got worse to come back in immediately. He thought I might still might be at a little higher risk of bronchitis or pneumonia even at 14-months post surgery. He prescribed antibiotics and steroids and bed rest.
When I return to work on Monday, I am going to have to tell everyone my warranty has expired.


Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @dougie0216 that was funny about being out of warranty now.

I had bronchitis about at month 4 I think, and it took a more powerful antibiotic than my usual one, plus prednisone and cough syrup with codeine to knock this one out. Stay healthy!
 
I'd like to thank you all on behalf of the group and myself and I certainly hope we passed the audition.
I felt like poop but laughed all morning over that one. And, actually my warranty went for 55-years so not bad.
Thanks for the certificates


Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
What a wonderful report of all you were able to do with your new hip. Time is going to make things even better, so you'll have more trips to look forward to. Don't worry about that warranty....you have a lot of good years left!!!
 
My equivalent reply from a physician was when I told him how scared I was. He asked what was I scared about and I said "dying under anaesthetic". He said "I haven't had anyone one die yet and I am not going to let you spoil my statistics" This made me laugh at a time when I needed it!
 
Hello all! I have picked up my exercise regimen to help shed the winter fat. I went for my morning walk and felt really good. I ran the last 200m to the end of my driveway

So, I can obviously still run if I so choose. My spouse was not to happy about it. She told me I can only run if a fire or a tornado is involved.

Things are excellent at almost 16-months post-LTHR. I feel good and hope you all feel the same.

Peace Out. Doug


Sent from dougie0216's iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Good to hear Doug :-)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Doggie
Enjoyed your posts
Headin in for a hip riv on 3/18
One of my biggest concern if I'm gonna be able to watch my Blackhawks on the tv at the hospital
Paydro


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom