Lateral release with medial reefing<

Don't worry about how soon you give up crutches. I was still using them at 6 weeks after all of my TKRs. You'll know when you're ready to manage with just one, or a cane. It happens gradually and it's much safer to keep using them than to risk a fall.

The problem with many people (probably that includes your mother) is that they don't realise that recovery from an orthopaedic operation is often a slow process. They expect you to be "all better" by about 6 weeks, possibly as they have felt after an abdominal operation. Bones, ligaments and muscles take longer to recover than your skin does.

Try not to let it get you down. Good things take time.
[Bonesmart.org] Lateral release with medial reefing<
 
I did forget to mention that I am still in the brace. I just need to be patient and let my knee run its course. Thanks for all your kind words and support. It's this forum that gets me through the day!!
 
Hi guys!! Been in bed all day. My husband insisted I go to a graduation party yesterday. He thought it would be good for me to get out of the house besides PT. I reluctantly agreed. It went as I expected... every person there asking what happened, how long has it been, I feel so bad for you, looks painful, you look so uncomfortable...and so on!

There was a picnic table to put my leg up so I had that going for me and an ice bag. But the outing and the car ride there and back just physically exhausted me. Not to mention emotionally exhausted from telling the story about 25 times!! I've only been getting up for bathroom and meds.

It's my husband's birthday today as well and don't have any energy to even want to cook dinner or even sit in living room by him. I'm staying in my pillow fort in my bed and hoping for a better day tomorrow.

I thought about starting a journal but anything I think about writing just brings me down. I'm not having any positive vibes today.

Hope you all are having a wonderful Sunday...be well!
 
I know not to compare but I don't understand how TKRs can walk out of the hospital and 6 weeks later I'm still crutching along.
But you haven't HAD a TKR! Not in any way, shape or form! You've had serious ligament repair and reconstruction and that DOES take ages to recover from. And added to that, you are only 6½ weeks out which is very, very early.
My husband insisted I go to a graduation party yesterday.
Oh how thoughtful of him! And of your mother rolling her eyes and tut-tutting that you're not getting better more quickly! Sheesh!

Would you give this post to them to read please:
This surgery is major, serious, very disabling and takes along time to recovery from, probably about 4-5 months at least.
You are wearing a brace and have been told to wear it for several weeks. Only after that will your real recovery begin and THAT will take months more.
In the meantime, you should be doing almost nothing: no house work, no cooking, no shopping, nothing. All you can cope with just now is your PT and little else.
Definitely no crazy outings such as your husband just made you go to. You cannot cope with things like that yet.
 
After resting all day today, tomorrow should be a much better day. Take it as easy can and tell your husband to leave you alone and let you heal.

Anytime tendons are messed with, it takes ages for them to heal. I know, I've been there 4 times with the lateral releases. I can't imagine how much the medial reefing adds to your pain and healing time. We care and we are here to listen. Those who haven't had this surgery shouldn't judge the recovery of someone who has!
 
@BrokenMaMa, sending you some cyber flowers....you need 'em!:flwrysmile:I really wish your family had a better understanding of your recovery issues and recovery time frame; aarrggh! What will it take to get through to them? Perhaps your OS or PT could write something up for you to hand them, explaining in simple terms what your recovery will look like. They all need their unrealistic expectations adjusted, and right now, you're vulnerable, so that's a very difficult place for you to be in. I honestly think your husband and mother should accompany you to the OS office for a recovery chat. Maybe they will believe him/her. In the interim, just stay behind your pillow fort!
 
Thank You ladies for these encouraging posts. All of your kind words mean so much to me. I'm trying very hard to not let this get to me. None of us had any idea the recovery would be this long and difficult. My OS did not make it clear to me before the surgery...he made it sound like a simple procedure with a 4-6 week recovery... months was never mentioned and still hasn't been mentioned at the 2 follow up appointments I've been to. He didn't even speak to me or my husband after surgery...I didn't know what was done until a week after and then was told a week after that from PT that it is an invasive surgery.... nothing from the surgeon. My next appointment is July 8 and will think about asking my mom to join since she or my dad will most likely be my ride. Does any of you have any suggestion questions that I need to bring up to my OS? I'm so terrible at this and when I get in office I turn into a blubbering mess! As always... Thank You!!
 
Start writing down all the things you want to ask your surgeon. You'll have a lot of questions by the time you have your appointment with him.
That way, you won't forget anything and, if you do start crying, you can hand your list to the surgeon and say you would like your questions answered.
 
Making a list is a great idea! Most phones now have a 'memo' app that you can make lists on. More than likely your phone will always be with you. It's pretty easy to forget a paper list, at least it is for me!
 
@BrokenMaMa, you're getting great tips on ways to remind your family that you need recovery time. I had a similar issue going into my surgery: a big extended family with what I feared were unrealistic expectations of how quickly I would recover. I asked about it here, pre-op, and got great advice. One Family Saturday (every week, without fail, this family gets together) I sat them all down, showed them the progression of recovery chart from here on BoneSmart, and talked about how I wouldn't be able to do anything for maybe MONTHS. I would need to rest, ice, not travel to family Saturdays, cook meals, play games, etc. for three months.

It was a serious talk. In my case, they got it. They worked with me, better than I expected they would. And wouldn't you know... my recovery has been faster than most people. But I didn't know it would be going in. It's important to let the family know what to expect from you, and best to put forth the worst case scenario--three months instead of six weeks--so they don't have unrealistic expectations. Then you can pleasantly surprise them if you happen to recover faster than the timeline.
 
@SusieShoes thanks for the post!! I'm trying to think of an effective way to get this through to my family.

I'm wondering if I need to call the Dr.
I woke up twice last night with terrible heel pain and it's still here this morning. I haven't slacked on meds... still every 5 hours. Feels better if I put pressure on it while walking but when I elevate it starts as a tingling in foot and then just pain in heel!!

I also have a lump by one of my incisions that wasn't there yesterday. It doesn't hurt...it's not hard. I took a picture but cannot figure out how to get it on here from my Android phone... that's all I have...no computer.
 
I would call your doctor, if I were you. It's better to be safe. It might not be anything, but then again, it might be something. You need to know. Are your incisions completely closed? Any drainage? Are they still hot?
 
Yes, call your surgeon. It's better to be told it's nothing than to worry about it for ages. And if it is something, it can be dealt with.
 
I have an appointment on Thursday...they moved it up a week. They didn't seem concerned since it didn't hurt. :shrug:
Incisions are closed...no drainage. The knee occasionally gets hot.
 
It's pretty common for people to get a case of plantar fasciitis following joint surgery. The fact that you're not walking with a normal gait really can contribute to soft tissue problems that result in heel pain.

Try doing this stretch several times a day....get in position and stretch your leg for a count of 20. Keep your back straight or even arched backwards a little and lean into the wall with both hands until you feel the pull in the back of your leg. You may want to do both legs just because it feels good! This is a great stretch for anytime!
[Bonesmart.org] Lateral release with medial reefing<
 
@Jamie Thank You!!! I will definitely try that stretch in the morning!! Well... later in the morning..not at 2:30 am! This time is reserved for a frozen water bottle exchange in the ice machine!
 
Hi, I hope you're feeling a little better! I had the same surgery in January, except mine was an open lateral release and medial reefing, so I had a large incision made along the length of my knee.

I had 6 weeks locked in extension. The first week I was non weight bearing and the following 5 weeks I was toe touch weight bearing only.

I've had a slow recovery but I'm much better now.

Had the same pulling sensation on the medial side and still do from time to time.

I had the exact same surgery on my other knee, with the same post surgery treatment, done by the same surgeon, when I was much younger and I made a full recovery in 3-4 months.

For this knee, I'm 6 months out and nowhere near fully recovered but I'm making steady progress. I don't have full ROM yet (115 degrees) and my quads are still weak. When I had any improvements in ROM they were very small improvements. I often went weeks without any increase in ROM. Then when I'd be getting really frustrated I might gain 5 degrees, and stay at that ROM for a few more weeks.

Don't rush yourself to get back to normal if you're not ready. I barely left my house for the first 2 months. I couldn't even get in and out of bed by myself, I was compelety reliant on my family for weeks.

I had people telling me about other people who recovered quickly from knee surgery " this guy had the EXACT SAME surgery as you and he's out walking around town now, I saw him today." Hmmm I doubt he had the same surgery then!

Or "my neighbour had her knee replaced and she can bend to 90 degrees, how many degrees can you bend to? Why can't you bend as much as her?"

My boss told me his wife had the "exact same surgery" and was swimming and cycling two weeks later... I was off work for 2 and a half months before I went back on light duties and it was 3.5 months before I resumed my full post.

People can be really insensitive and say daft things. Or they can be cruel like one of my colleagues who told me i would never recover and i just needed to accept it. Don't listen, tune it all out. Listen to your doctor and just focus on your improvements, however small they are. I know it's hard to be patient when you are in pain but you will get there in the end!
 
Even more important than listening to your doctor is to listen to your knee! It knows what's best.
 
Lawd. The swimming one. You know that is rubbish bc no surgeon would OK swimming with a 2 week old incision.

Why do people feel this need to lie? Reading here, it's so universal.
 
Back
Top Bottom