THR Lancs lass recovery thread<

Thanks for your responses folks - Jaycey - I have done away with the crutches (my physio said to do this) but use a walking pole. I have ordered a proper walking stick as this will provide more support. He recommended the clam because I cant lift my right leg to drive. He thought it would strengthen it I think but the message does not get through from brain to leg yet.
Delphi, how do you garden, out of interest. Do you use the Golfers Lunge (bad leg straight out behind you) while good leg bends? I've tried weeding using this method of bending but even half an hour leaves me sore the next day. Its quite frustrating. The dog is being very protective and walks along very closely to me. Sweet.

Sorry, slight exaggeration!! Not proper gardening yet - no using fork or spade, just pruning and long handle tools. Have used golfer's reach but as you say, it is very tiring. Actually, I got a gardener to come in for a few hours to weed as I thought that if I didn't tackle the weeds now, it would all get away from me. Unfortunately have the double whammy of ground elder and bindweed, so no slacking!! Normally do lots of pots and baskets about now but thinking of scaling it back a bit this year as the bending down is a problem for my back if I do too much of it. I also had an allotment until last year but had to give it up as I couldn't dig due to my hip problems. Grateful that I don't have to worry about that too...!
Diane

Ah sounds like my compromise. I can use long handled pruners as long as I remember not to brace them with my hips, and a hoe as long as I stand on my good leg only. I can bend to weed but its not easy, I tend to use my crutches in the garden for support. I have bindweed too, lots of dandelions and herb bennett. A colleague came into garden last week which was very nice of here and she could tackle some of the nettle patches! I slept for 4 or more hours in a row last night! Still VERY stiff this morning though - its a toss up between waking up all the time, moving and being less stiff or sleeping more and feeling like a board in the morning. hey ho.

I also have turfed over much of veg plot as i just don't have the time or energy to dig it all over.....

Hello,
I'm just wondering how to kneel and get up from the ground safely? I'm 7 weeks post op and would like to do some gardening at ground level. is this possible? And if so, how do I get down, and get back up again without damaging the surgeon's, and Nature's good work?
Thanks,
Claire

@Lancs Lass I have again merged your 2 recovery threads. Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread.

If you are having any difficulty getting down and up from the ground it is too early for you to be doing this. You are not going to damage any of the surgeon's work. But kneeling puts a good bit of pressure on the new joint. Start slow and do only a few minutes to see how you get on. You can get kneeling pads with arms to help you raise and lower.

@Lancs Lass I practiced kneeling and getting up on the third step of my stairs using both handrails to steady myself. If you cannot yet get up, you can quite easily stand up on the first step! Also stretched my quads this way, leaning backwards while kneeling and holding onto the rails.

You can also get a gardening bench on amazon/garden supply store that works great too.

@Jaycey I started a new thread with a new question as I couldn't see how anyone would notice it otherwise! I haven't attempted to kneel at all yet. Just wondered how I would do it. I'll try the stairs method - sounds doable.
Thanks both,
Claire

Last edited by a moderator:
Claire, when you post something to someone else in your own thread, you need to put @Jaycey . That will give her an alert (see Alerts at top right of the page near your user name) and she will come to your thread to see what you posted. Otherwise, you are right. Your post could sort of ge t lost in the mix. This forum isnvolves a whole new learning thing for me as well so I, too, have been learning as the days go on.

Now, I have been quiet for a while as I have been pottering along, getting more sleep, walking 1.4 miles with the dog every day. But now, I have a pain. I'm sure I can feel this implant. It feels like a big, stiff thing inside my leg along where the line of my underwear goes (no lewd jokes please). Its just not very comfy at all. I have taken to sitting on my ordinary chair in my sitting room and sitting at the table to use my PC but I try not to lean forward. I'm a bit fed up. I want to get better! Not worse. Any ideas, dear friends.....

Lancs.
I'm afraid it just takes time. There are still the odd occasions that I can feel "something" is the best way to describe it. You are at the I'm getting better but I want to be more better stage and its frustrating. Your restrictions are lifted at this stage and I can tell you that your hip will put up with a lot. Post restrictions its normal to feel nervous when trying new movements out. I practiced kneeling first with supports either side to get me down and up. There really is no difference in hip position when kneeling. You'll get more confident then as time goes on.
All the regular daily life movements return naturally in the passage of time.
Best Wishes. Your actually on track.
Joe......

Sorry you are still hurt. What is your activity level during the day? Besides the walking what exercises are you doing. Gardening, chores or heavy lifting? Does this ease when you rest?

Hello both and thank you for your responses.... @Jaycey - its the leaning forward at the laptop and sewing machine that does it I think. Even as I sit at the table and lean forward to look at the screen I am uncomfortable in my joint. Sitting in general isn't that comfy. I am better leaning slightly backwards than upright or slightly forwards.

Otherwise my daily activities are not much. I walk the dog 1.4 miles, do the housework, do light gardening (mow lawn, empty compost bins (slowly, bit by bit), make bread, do sewing. I don't get much exercise other than the dog walk to be honest. I lie on my good side with a pillow from crotch to knee, get dressed but still using device to get my socks on and long shoe horn for shoes. Driving is still very uncomfortable (so I don't do much) as there is little strength in my leg to raise it to brake and accelerate. When walking I still can't straighten my bad leg. I couldn't before the op and still cant though I'm trying. Physio said to walk heel down first which I am trying to do. This leg is longer so I feel as though I run out of space to stretch the leg out. I do have less backache after walking now. I do very little physio now. I'm not using a stick much unless I'm on public transport or going across fields, or somewhere I don't know what I will encounter.
I am nervous to try new things as it is so easy to dislocate the new joint for at least 90 days post-op....

Sitting for any length of time for new hippies is always a challenge. If you are leaning forward straining to see things I would do whatever you can to correct this. I did this for years and have the bad back to prove it. Increase the text size, wear reading glasses or use a magnifying glass. It's not worth ruining your back.
I am nervous to try new things as it is so easy to dislocate the new joint for at least 90 days post-op.
Sounds like you have no restrictions - correct? If so, please don't worry about your hip. Try things - it will tell you very quickly if you are doing too much.

yes, the OS said I 'can do whatever I want' though the physio looked a bit askance when I repeated this to him 15 minutes later! Walking up steepish slopes is also quite painful (afterwards), steps put less strain on things as I can favour my good leg. Well, I'm glad you are sanguine @Jaycey, it will help me be more confident. Yesterday a friedn drove me to Formby beach with our dogs - how lovely is that?!
Interestingly, as I increase my activity levels, my hot flushes creep back too. I thought they were in recession - it appears not!
And I've taken on board your suggestion about not leaning forward, it's certainly not good for my back. I'm 10 weeks into the healing process in 2 days time, still not long I guess.....
Thank you.

Hello again!
I've not made much progress since I last posted but I can drive a little way now. I find though that this makes my hip joint click when I walk afterwards. Is this serious? It clicked when it was arthritic but now all those parts are gone. Thoughts anyone???

Glad you're feeling a bit better. I don't have any noises but there is a place on the forum right near the top where noises are discussed.
I don't like sitting either or at least leaning forward as I do. I wonder about bread making too. Are you making a no-knead sourdough or do you have a machine. I sure couldn't knead but luckily my fella is the bread maker.

I'm not driving yet though I'm cleared because when I went to St. Anthony to have my surgery my engine was shipped to Quebec to be rebuilt,

I had all sorts of clicking and clunking post both THRs. In both cases this just faded away.

@labanan I do knead the bread but its only for around 10 seconds then its left for 10 mins and I knead it again (repeating this 3 times) so not very physical! I'm a month further on than you so maybe slightly more comfy? I mustnit underestimate the tiredness though. Its easy to do too much, especially when you've got wheels again!
@Jaycey, interesting to hear that you had clicking and even clunking. I shall ignore it then!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88