THR Lancs lass recovery thread<

@Josephine..
2. I take 1 x 500mg paracetamol about every other day first thing. And the same for roomy ibruprofen. One in the morning.
3. My pain level when worst is maybe a 3.
Hope this helps.
Thank you
Claire
 
what are your pain levels right now?Low but constant. I have nagging pain. I feel bruised from the back of my waist down to my iliac crest and around the side over the iliac crest. My pain level when worst is maybe a 3.
Okay
I take 1 x 500mg paracetamol about every other day first thing. And the same for roomy ibruprofen. One in the morning.
You should take two paracetamols. That is the effective dose. And stop taking ibuprofen. It's an ineffective pain med and had some serious side effects. Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
elevating in the evenings, for around 3 hours
Okay
activity level?
I'm doing everything now, but some of it carefully. I'm not lifting anything heavy - dog, full bags of hen food (20kg). I do all the housework (not turning mattresses), all the cooking and shopping, all driving - though not over 90 minutes continuously. I've just started work slowly (up to 3 days a week) which may involve climbing over gates, walking over uneven ground, bending over to look at plants, sitting on the ground.

I've started at the PC again which makes me very stiff though I have enlarged the font so I'm not leaning forward. I do light DIY (putting a water butt together/collecting and delivering pallets).
Okay
I'm trying to walk 10000 steps a day
Those blasted Fitbits! I wish they'd never been invented! 10,000 steps is 4-5 miles which is rather a lot, I think.
No exercises at home.
PT said that once my activity levels got up I wouldn't need to. I'm feeling I should be doing something as the leg is weak and getting stiff. The worst thing generally is this 'tied' feeling at the top of my leg, and specifically this new pain in my side. Generally the implant feels huge.
You jest, surely? All that activity you just described, not to mention 10,000 steps a day and you 'feel like' you should be doing something? And then you complain of the "tied feeling at the top of my leg, and specifically this new pain in my side". Not to mention the implant feeling huge!

These problems are caused by far too much activity. Plain and simple. And the 'huge implant' is nothing more than swelling at the surgery site. I know you're 16 weeks out but this is the result of an extended period of abuse (yes, I use that word advisedly) and you must stop it else it's never going to settle down and be normal.
 
Blimey! Thank you Josephine. I didn't realise I was doing too much!
 
Hello everyone again and @Jaycey ! I am 2.5 years post surgery for a new hip and socket. My recovery has been OK as long as I accept that I am no longer the person I once was, and that I have limitations physically. I'm not sure that this is the correct attitude, so here are my queries.......

My queries are around exercise and especially anything involving bending and stretching - there's too much contradictory info out there, and I'm not sure how much of it is 'just' opinion anyway.

Sooooooo, my first query is about swimming breaststroke - are hippies allowed to do this stroke, or not? My swimming teachers oooed and ahhhed over whether I should be learning it or not. They say I can dislocate my hip. I haven't been able to do it before as I didn't have the range of movement required in my right hip, I could only do a screw kick. It is hard to learn this stroke (for me). The last session I had made my hip sore and 24 hours later I was very sore (both sides). When I googled whether hippies should do this stroke or not, 56% of healthcare practitioners say not to, and 100% of orthopaedic surgeons say it will be fine. So, do I keep going in shorter lessons (rather than 45 minutes), or give up?

My second question is, should I go back to doing physio? I don't lift my leg, knee and foot as much on the operated on side, which leads to me tripping over things. It's a real nuisance. I have pain in the hip joint when I raise my knee above it's normal height, so I'm still going up stairs and up slopes using my good leg leading, the other following. Is it normal to still have pain the hip joint this long after surgery, and how do I get rid of it and increase the range of upward movement? It almost feels as though the joint is tied, or a ligament is in the wrong place, across the front of the joint. It's more effort to raise that leg than the good one.

My next question is, Pilates, yes or no? My surgeon said, no bending over 90 degrees, no crossing legs. My physio said, no yoga. It all seems a bit restrictive, but Pilates would help with the swimming (especially butterfly).

For background, I'm tall, 4 stone over my maximum BMI (I have lost a stone), but no couch potato. I swim 3 times a week (at least 400m a time) and walk my dogs every day for an hour (on the flat mostly). I undertake fieldwork all summer, though I use a stick for rough ground (something I find really hard to walk over because I can't raise my leg very high).

Many thanks to anyone who is able to help. It's a bit mysterious how these guidelines are arrived at; I do understand that every patient is different so its hard to generalise, but I don't want to live my life so worried about dislocation that I can't do the activities I want to!!

Claire (sorry for the essay)
 
Last edited:
my first query is about swimming breaststroke - are hippies allowed to do this stroke, or not?
I was instructed to avoid doing a frog kick with the breast stroke. Flutter kick is fine. New hips do not like a frog kick and your hip is telling you this.
My second question is, should I go back to doing physio?
Sounds like you might benefit from some focused physio but you need to find someone who will give you exercises that are specific to your need. I found most physios just work through a checklist giving patients exercises that are often not even specific to the hip. That said, your activity level sounds great. All that swimming and walking should be enough exercise. Does the stiffness ease when you are active?
My next question is, Pilates, yes or no?
I did modified Pilates. Tell any instructor that you have had THR. They will work with you to stay within any restrictions. Sounds like your surgeon is ultra conservative. A lifetime 90 degree restriction is not really realistic in my opinion.

My colleague @alexthecat has done Pilates and all kinds of personal training. I've tagged her so she can come and chat with you about her experience.
 
my first query is about swimming breaststroke - are hippies allowed to do this stroke, or not?

I have been doing breaststroke regularly since my THR progressing to 2km and my new hip doesn't complain. I started with the whip kick and only more recently moved to the frog kick. You mention butterfly - wow that is ambitious. I can only do short distances.

My next question is, Pilates, yes or no?

I do Pilates classes twice a week and find the classes very helpful - they work the muscles around the hip and are good for balance. Good instructors will ask new attendees about any conditions and issues and should modify exercises if necessary. Three Pilates instructors at my club have THRs (one has two) and often several of the attendees have hip or knee replacements.

I don't have any long term restrictions other than jumping from heights and have no problem with Pilates although my THR hip moves rather better than the other hip now!
 
At more than 2 years post-THR, you shouldn't have any movement restrictions on that hip. I don't swim regularly, but I do swim and have no problem with breaststroke. I think the discomfort you have with the frog kick is more related to your body not being used to it. None of us are as young as we used to be and new activities can be a challenge if we don't ease into them slowly enough.

I started taking a mat Pilates class about 3 months after my THR. Initially, I made a lot of modifications, based on what felt comfortable to me. By the end of my first year post-THR, I was able to do everything, without any modifications. I still do Pilates regularly and I am one of the more advanced people in my class. No one knows I have an artificial hip unless I choose tell them and I don't.
 
Thank you sooo much responders! That's all good news I think.

So, Pilates is OK, I just need to tell them I've had a THR.
Breaststroke should be OK - maybe take it more slowly.
And some focussed physio - I know it's hard to fond someone who really listens and 'gets' it. I tried NHS and private physios but haven't sourced anything useful yet - as you say, they just go through some excercises, not necessarily related to your problem. And I do feel that so many of them are judgemental if you're carrying more weight than the BMI tables show is acceptable for your height.

Thanks again. I'm going to find a Pilates class now and take it s...l...o...w.......

Claire
 
You mention butterfly - wow that is ambitious. I can only do short distances.

ahem, yes, when I mentioned butterfly, its an aim, not a reality yet!! It IS fun though - we tried it with fins on this week - brilliant!!
 
Does the stiffness ease when you are active?

I'm rarely stiff Jaycey - except when I have been sitting for too long. I can't drive for longer than a few hours (who would want to though, really?), and generally try to stay upright rather than sitting when I can. The tied feeling across the front of the top of my thigh is always there. I love swimming because it eases it. I do exercises in the water when I am floating as it is less painful.
 
Hi,
I am only 6-months post-op and a friend suggested I go back to swimming - I used to swim a mile day. However, just the thought of “kicking” the way I used to makes me feel as if it would not be good for me. Not talking about the frog kick, but even the flutter kick feels like it may be too difficult for my new hip! I hope I can back to it someday.

The only exercise I’m doing lately, is walking. I have increased the distance very slowly and my new physcial therapist gave me a hint as to how to walk that lessens the stiffness in my back that I have been feeling (If I walk to much).

There is only one exercise that my surgeon contraindicated and that’s ‘running’. Luckily, I was never a runner so don’t miss it.. wish I could do more but for now walking for me is best.
 
Hi Trudijane,
I've only recently started to use my legs when swimming - I stopped a few years ago to build up my upper body strength. You're right, you have to be careful when swimming. The resistance the water offers can make my hip ache even doing the flutter kick. My teachers are keen for me to use my legs so I can do the whole stroke correctly. I also thought it would help me lose weight and maybe make my legs more shapely??
Anyway, the dolphin kick is by far the bet for my hip, then the flutter kick as in crawl, then the kick used in breaststroke. I'll keep going.......
C
 
Hi Claire

I have returned to swimming and it is helping. But I was getting groin pain the day after. I now do breaststroke with arms and flutter kick with legs. No more pain. So my hip is trying to tell me something I think. Will try again after another month but tbh the frog kick is not as important to me as strenghthening legs in prep for scuba so I will listen to my body. Frontcrawl going really well now. I average about 40 minutes and trying to build on that. I do a bit of pool walking too. I like you had a private lesson to help me after not swimming properly for years!
 
Hi,
I get a little confused with the names of the kicks/strokes. I imagine the flutter kick is when you are doing the breast stroke or is that the crawl - not sure. The thought of doing that makes me shy away from it. Describe that dolphin kick~ I know there is a kick which what I used to call the 'frog kick' - is that the same as the dolphin kick? Just want to be clear.

I just feel like the flutter kick would be too hard on my hip~! I'll google the strokes~
 
Hurrah! ...just a very quick update - one of my swimming teachers recommended I see a physio as I am 'protecting' my new hip. The new physio is FABULOUS! Finally, someone who gets it! She thinks I have a shortened and very tight and tender iliopsoas muscle. It's the muscle that goes around the inside of the pelvis and is what is giving me the 'tied' feeling in front of my groin/top of my thigh. So, I have some very focussed physio and pilates to do, five days out of seven. Already it is starting to feel more mobile and less tender. This is he fourth physio I have seen. Disgraceful really, but I am so pleased!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ps I've now lost 18lbs too, so well pleased, though it has taken a loooong time to come off! If I can maintain this weight over Xmas, can start again on losing weight in the New Year.
 
Hello @Lancs Lass
Thanks for the update. It's good to hear you're seeing a positive result from the Pyhsio and Pilates. May it long continue. Congrats on the weight loss also. Hopefully you can maintain over the holidays and shed whatever you have your mind set on in 2020. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom