THR Lancs lass recovery thread<

Hi Lancs lass,
I asked my specialist about Pilates and swimming as these are the only activities I’ll do. He said avoid breast stroke which I will definitely avoid and in relation to Pilates he was happy. He just said ‘whenever you do something and there is associated discomfort, stop!’ I guess our body’s will always let us know but we must be prepared to listen xxx.
 
Hi,
I get a little confused with the names of the kicks/strokes. I imagine the flutter kick is when you are doing the breast stroke or is that the crawl - not sure. The thought of doing that makes me shy away from it. Describe that dolphin kick~ I know there is a kick which what I used to call the 'frog kick' - is that the same as the dolphin kick? Just want to be clear.

I just feel like the flutter kick would be too hard on my hip~! I'll google the strokes~

Hi Trudijane, and apologies for such a long gap in replying - at my swimming class we call the leg stroke for front crawl flutterkick, the leg stroke for breastroke EITHER frog kick or we can do flutterkick, or another simpler stroke like frogkick but without putting the legs so wide apart. The leg stroke for butterfly stroke we call dolphin kick.
C
 
Hi Lancs lass,
I asked my specialist about Pilates and swimming as these are the only activities I’ll do. He said avoid breast stroke which I will definitely avoid and in relation to Pilates he was happy. He just said ‘whenever you do something and there is associated discomfort, stop!’ I guess our body’s will always let us know but we must be prepared to listen xxx.

This whole idea about avoiding breast stroke after a hip replacement seems to be fraught with misinformation, or contradictory information, if you will. Once you are healed, it's really difficult to dislocate your hip! Or, so my physio says......There were at least 4 strong guys waiting for me in the operating theatre to help the surgeon dislocate my hip. Admittedly this was my native hip which isn't meant to come apart easily.

If an activity is painful for your new joint, I'd avoid doing that activity, and seek advice. It took me 4 physios (2 x NHS, 2 x private) to find one who had sufficient training and intelligence and interest to work out what was wrong with me, but it is paying off now. A good Pilates/yoga instructor should be trained in working with people with joint replacements....

It can be a bit of a rocky road......
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom