THR LaKarune's Journey Back to the Dance Floor - Recovery Thread

You are correct about it not being warm here @CricketHip! It’s pretty cold by LA standards, 50s to low 60s. We have messed up seasons here, and are in the “May Gray” part of our year, which is typically followed by “June Gloom”. Not the Spring and early Summer of my dreams, that’s for sure. But of course the houses here are built to a totally false idea that it’s always 72° and sunny, so most don’t even have insulation, and it feels really cold at night. I’m loving my heating pad/ice pack combo in bed… nice that you found that combo too. I do think it’s helping me sleep! Hopefully helping soften some of the clenched muscles around the hip too.

Last edited:
@LaKarune, glad the 10-day bump is turning out to be true for you, too! One of my colleagues who has also had both hips replaced (like me) agreed. Those first 10 days can be rather hellish, but often things start to improve after that. With my first recovery, I thought I might begin to start feeling a little better every day at around day 3. Oh no, that’s when the misery just really gets started!

I got that post-op restlessness and down feeling you are describing, too. I don’t even consider myself particularly social (friendly introvert), but I was so tired of sitting at home with limited mobility. The days felt endless. I think that will start to improve for you now, too, as you get outside more for walks and maybe take short car trips when you feel up to it. That is, if your recovery continues to be similar to mine. These feelings and restlessness are the hardest part imo. I can do the physical pain—I have ways to control that—but the mental game is tough. Hang in there! It does get better!

@Layla, I counted utility poles and pushed myself to a new, more distant one every couple days!

Two weeks today! Just back from my first Post Op visit with the PA. She removed my dressings (I had two -- a big one for the surgical incision and a smaller one for the robot.) The robot wounds are totally healed and I can start using Vitamin E oil on the scar. The incision is apparently healing well. There are some skin flaps that look a bit lifted but PA was unconcerned about them. I can shower without covering it (yay) and just pat dry. She also said I can now sleep on the op side if it's comfortable; non-op side sleeping I still need a pillow between my knees.

The most annoying thing about this visit was the news that they want me to keep up the posterior restrictions for another six weeks. Arrrrggghhhhhhh this is the where I tantrum about not being able to test my ROM.

She said they actually aren't worried about dislocation; they want all the tissue they repaired to heal. Hearing they aren't worried about dislocation calmed me down a bit, but it's still annoying as heck.

Another week until I'm officially cleared to drive, apparently, but I feel like I'd be fine... I have an automatic and the op side isn't my braking leg. We didn't talk about it, just read the boilerplate in my post visit report. Seeking clarification.

She also gave me another two weeks of Gabapentin, but lowered the dose by 100mg and I'm to take it at night, hopefully to help me sleep. She also recommended a Tylenol PM at night. Isn't that the one that basically has the same drug as Benedryl? Not crazy about the Benedryl hangover so a little tentative about that recco, but considering it since I still haven't been sleeping well.

About to head out on a little walk and see if it feels different with the bulky dressing removed... and then a freedom shower.

Another milestone achieved! Between you and me (and everyone reading), I began driving when I felt comfortable with it. The PA who did my 2-week checkup said, “You can start driving now if it’s comfortable.” I sheepishly said, “I drove myself to this appointment.” She laughed and said, “You’re cleared to drive home.”

Enjoy the luscious feeling of unbandaged skin! :flwrysmile:

Day 15 things:
  • Discharged from home health (start with my regular PT on Monday)
  • Told to walk short distances without my cane (bring for longer walks)
  • Permitted to drive
  • Can bend down for socks, shoes, pants, etc as long as my op hip is in external rotation (no knee to chin for another six weeks)
  • Can bridge
  • Can use mat on floor for exercises as desired
  • Can increase to longer walks, climb stairs and hills, etc (cautioned to build endurance slowly)
  • Told I can basically just live my life
  • Feeling extremely hopeful for the first time in 9 months!
And the weather decided to be beautiful today, so I tested out a slightly longer route - .57 miles (vs .3 miles), 19-20 min instead of 13-15 - included little steep bridges. Icing now, but that walk in the sun was so good for my overall outlook. I think this is going really well???

I did get a bit more sleep last night, too. Took the advice of the PA and swallowed two Gabapentin before bed. It took over an hour but did make me feel very very sleepy and I managed 7 hours, which is pretty close to my normal. Still taking Tylenol and Tramadol every four hours... will see how increased activity feels before I start to stretch out the Tramadol to six hours. Still have noticeable muscle tension around the op area, so listening to that and taking things easy when the muscles get grippy. Incision looks like it's doing a fine job healing. It's about 3.5 inches long, which I think is pretty small considering all the carpentry and sewing that happened in there!

Grateful every day that I was picky about my surgeon, and that I had many fine choices. Realizing how lucky I am. Glad I didn't wait any longer (especially after reading the pathology report on the femur head... yikes). HOPE is a wonderful feeling to have.

And that's where I'm at! Been doing my standing PT exercises in my ballet slippers, and cleared to relevée today @AllieBucks (home PT was a ballerina), tiny tendus, teeny ronde-de-jambe. Will talk to my regular PT on Monday about a staged plan back to Pilates... still have plenty of tissue to heal, so will need to be careful, but I am really excited to even be able to make a plan that feels actionable. Won't be able to test full ROM until after my 2 month visit with my surgeon but at least I can start getting more movement going in the joint. Light stretches, etc.

I'm excited. Happy update today!

Told I can basically just live my life

Well! Holy go to the front of the class, Batman! 3 weeks out and you get the clear to live your life blessing! That is fantastic. Well done.

It really does feel amazing when you feel good enough to start thinking about plans for next steps (literally...ha!). It just helps so much with confidence and feeling like you're getting your life back, bit by bit.

I think it's cool that you're doing your PT in your ballet slippers. Kind of makes those exercises your own and more organic. Thanks to reading your posts and some others that described mind-body meditations and awareness, I made PT an invitation to connect with my body and check in and it felt really weird at first but now I'm kind of uncentered and "off" if I don't do it. All that to say keep posting --- your story is going to be very helpful! Looking forward to reading more progress -

Definitely not a "graduate" yet but that green light from the home PT gave me so much optimism @thepuckhead!

Day 17. Just back from a much longer walk - went a mile (30ish minutes so I was going at a chill pace). I've been having an aching pain in the op leg buttock, ongoing tightness in quads, lower back, and a hip flexor, some of which I know is just muscle tightness, but some of which is unfamiliar. I heard today that the reason doctors prescribe exercise for this kind of recovery is for nerve regeneration, which really motivated me to get moving.

My hip flexor and glute seemed to like the longer walk (icing as I write). I was hoping some of my tight muscles would release on their own with walking, which my one flexor seemed to do, but my quad is still really tight and slightly throbbing. Lower back is meh but not worrying me. Nothing's really worrying me, actually, but I'm curious how you differentiate muscle or tissue repair pain from nerve pain. Can anyone with experience with both offer any ways to differentiate?

I looked at a couple articles about nerve pain and heard it described as sharp and stabbing; that's not matching what I'm feeling (thank goodness...had enough of that pre-op). I'm feeling an angry little throb, which gets worse when I sit or lay on it for extended periods of time. I described it to my mother as feeling like having Jack-Jack's (from The Incredibles, lol) baby fist inside my glute. My outer glute muscle (what's left of it with all the pre-op muscle loss I sustained) is soft, so this is something inside. Best guess is that this area is one of the places they repaired with stitches and that the tissue is sorting itself out, but since there is some low back pain as well, I'd love to rule out sciatica.

My surgeon made a point of writing "sciatic nerve was protected posterially throughout the procedure" on my op report (which I suspect may have been bc I expressed fear about nerve pain right before I got wheeled into the OR, and he's what we call a mensch, but maybe this is common to see on these reports?). I believe him, but still curious about what the baby fist is.

Would love some recommendations for gentle quad releases and stretches as well, if you have them.

Thank you!!

As someone who suffered from sciatica (not hip related- was many many moons ago), I can offer some reassurance that, at least in my experience, sciatica is pretty unmistakable. Nerve pain tends to radiate or travel instead of a throbbing in one particular spot. It also tends to be constant. Also associated with nerve pain:

Burning
Cold
Feeling like the back of your leg has a guitar string that gets plucked when you stand or walk (and the music ain't pretty)
Tingling/pins and needles
Weakness/loss of reflexes

Nerve pain just feels dramatically different from muscle pain, at least to me. If you've ever had a dentist hit a nerve while working on your teeth....imagine that pain except in your leg or back.

I grilled my surgeon about sciatica before the surgery and it was one of my main hesitations about posterior approach. I told him that, bad as the hip was, I would ALMOST rather live with that than go through sciatica again. He explained that the sciatic nerve is pretty deep and not exposed during surgery. What can happen is that, if the muscles are retracted too fast, that can cause nerve pain. Also, if you are experiencing sciatica when you have the surgery, it can get exacerbated. So, I'd take the surgeon's extra love note to heart and I don't think, in my layperson's opinion, sciatica is going to be a concern.

I remember, at my two week post op with the physician's assistant, asking him whether he could ID the various achy breakies I was experiencing. Bone? Muscle? Tendon? Nerve? Skin? Other? He pointed to my x-ray, circled his hand around my hip area and said, "This." Oh. Right. Okay, then!

For the quad - my PT showed me a stretch that I found really helpful. Stand against a wall with toes on the wall and hands on the wall. Move affected leg about eight inches back. Balance on both feet and then shift your weight onto the front leg, bending back leg knee until you can feel a stretch, which you should feel primarily at the top of your quad. You know the rules, of course: go slow, go gentle. I was 6 weeks post op before I attempted this, but I was having problems with the top of my quad and wanted to do something that didn't involve getting on the floor or doing any kind of grabbing my foot and pulling like you usually do with quad stretches.

. I heard today that the reason doctors prescribe exercise for this kind of recovery is for nerve regeneration, which really motivated me to get moving.
Interesting - this makes me think of the recovery timelines for each soft tissue type I've seen here frequently. Almost every other type of tissue heals faster than nerves. I think 6-8 weeks is the general time for muscles, etc. Nerves, though, are up to several months. I wonder if that gap in healing time is what lands people in the ODIC. The muscles are healed and feel good but the nerves can't yet recover from more intense activity. I did notice that when I started to move more, that's when I felt the tingles and zaps typically associated with nerve healing/regeneration. I was really happy about that, actually, because it meant things were coming back online in response to the exercises.

Always something to think about and learn here!

As someone who suffered from sciatica (not hip related- was many many moons ago), I can offer some reassurance that, at least in my experience, sciatica is pretty unmistakable. Nerve pain tends to radiate or travel instead of a throbbing in one particular spot. It also tends to be constant. Also associated with nerve pain:

Burning
Cold
Feeling like the back of your leg has a guitar string that gets plucked when you stand or walk (and the music ain't pretty)
Tingling/pins and needles
Weakness/loss of reflexes
Thank you! This is definitely reassuring, because this isn't the sensation of the Jack-Jack baby fist in my deep glute at all.
Nerve pain just feels dramatically different from muscle pain, at least to me. If you've ever had a dentist hit a nerve while working on your teeth....imagine that pain except in your leg or back.
UGH I've had too many root canals not to understand this comparison. Horrible. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this.
I remember, at my two week post op with the physician's assistant, asking him whether he could ID the various achy breakies I was experiencing. Bone? Muscle? Tendon? Nerve? Skin? Other? He pointed to my x-ray, circled his hand around my hip area and said, "This." Oh. Right. Okay, then!
HA! This sort of tracks with my suspicion about what I'm feeling.
For the quad - my PT showed me a stretch that I found really helpful. Stand against a wall with toes on the wall and hands on the wall. Move affected leg about eight inches back. Balance on both feet and then shift your weight onto the front leg, bending back leg knee until you can feel a stretch, which you should feel primarily at the top of your quad. You know the rules, of course: go slow, go gentle. I was 6 weeks post op before I attempted this, but I was having problems with the top of my quad and wanted to do something that didn't involve getting on the floor or doing any kind of grabbing my foot and pulling like you usually do with quad stretches.
Will try this - though my quad pain is more belly of quad and knee attachment area. Maybe I need a really solid massage.
. I heard today that the reason doctors prescribe exercise for this kind of recovery is for nerve regeneration, which really motivated me to get moving.
Interesting - this makes me think of the recovery timelines for each soft tissue type I've seen here frequently. Almost every other type of tissue heals faster than nerves. I think 6-8 weeks is the general time for muscles, etc.
Thus the dumb restrictions being 2 months long probably not being so dumb after all, as annoyed as I am by them at the moment....
Nerves, though, are up to several months.
Hmmm, what I heard today (in a podcast about stem cells, actually) is that you want to get exercising sooner FOR the nerves to regenerate in whatever window you have for them, because when the window closes, it's closed basically permanently, whereas that's not the case with muscles and presumably fascia. I may need to do a little more Googling about this because admittedly I don't know much about nerves! (Also learned from this podcast that "stem cell" injections for joint pain are pseudoscience... not sure if that's controversial here on Bonesmart or not. My PT didn't think it was worth my pursuing when I asked her about it back in December.)

Thanks for this feedback @thepuckhead, all super helpful.

Day 18. Did two 1-mile walks yesterday. Brought my cane, didn't use except to cross a busy street, and that was mostly for signaling to drivers to chill out and let me cross the street without rushing. 7,961 steps yesterday in total according to my phone, which also tells me "Your average steps each day are up this month compared to last month." Well that's what all this is for, isn't it?!

Funnily enough, I now have a tiny Jack-Jack baby fist forming in my non-op glute. Dawning realization that the baby fist might actually be... muscles responding to more activity? and nothing more scary than that? If this is the case, in my book this is "good" pain, not scary pain at all.

I'll be excited about this once I can shake off the Gabapentin haze. Per my PA I'm taking 200 mg at night to help me sleep through the night and I need to adjust the time I take it, because it seems to be leaving me with a foggy hangover. Assessing my meds daily and learned this AM that I'm down to 4 Tylenol and 3 Tramadol as of yesterday (my schedule was initially 6 and 6). Icing less, hardly any swelling...feels like progress.

I start back with my regular PT today. This means I'll be driving for the first time as well. Milestones!

You're making awesome progress!
Regaining that independence behind the wheel is a great feeling. :driver:
I hope you have a good PT session and enjoy the rest of the day!
@LaKarune

Hmmm, what I heard today (in a podcast about stem cells, actually) is that you want to get exercising sooner FOR the nerves to regenerate in whatever window you have for them, because when the window closes, it's closed basically permanently, whereas that's not the case with muscles and presumably fascia.
I think this might be a misunderstanding because it’s not usually a case of “use it or lose it” with a nerve injury.
Injured nerves are well known for their slow and steady recovery times, something like 1 cm a month for their regeneration. It’s not a race where the recovery window can close permanently. There are many examples of our joint replacement members seeing marked improvements for a year or more, including myself.

If the podcast was about a limited timeframe for recovery, maybe it was for some specific type of injury/illness? Especially since it was apparently in regards to using stem cells.

The problem with overdoing things related to exercise is the risk of developing tendinitis, which is painful and can really slow a recovery down.

You are doing so well with your recovery, and I worry that you may try to push extra hard, thinking that you are losing your window of opportunity when that is not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @LaKarune everything you describe, including the aches and pains in various places and the gradual improvements after week one, sounds very similar to me except my recover was at a much slower pace and with shorter distances. I'm at 4 months today and aiming for 2000+ steps per day but then I was unfit pre-op and had been for years. Working to improve now that both hips have been replaced!

Well it's EOD on my Day 21 - three full weeks of healing under my belt.

I re-read this thread last night from the beginning, and wow, what a journey it has been already. I feel so far away from "Day 0", and yet so tender and close to that moment of waking up from surgery. It's extraordinary that I just had such intense surgery three weeks ago, and yet today I can walk well enough that an untrained eye wouldn't be able to tell. (My PT can tell though, lol.)

This week has been an emotional rollercoaster. I was SO excited and even felt energetic at the beginning of the week. Yesterday I felt exhausted all day, and today I've been extremely emotional and am going to try to go to bed early (I'm a night owl so this may be wishful thinking, but can't hurt to try.) My Mom went back home today, which is making me a little more blue than normal. Hoping I wake up feeling refreshed tomorrow, bc I'm tired of feeling tired.

I increased my walking distance this week fairly significantly (I'm still within the realm of reason, promise I'm not doing marathons), which is undoubtedly contributing to my feeling that I'm always tired. But it feels good in my body to walk, so I don't think I'm overdoing it. Sometimes I take two walks a day, sometimes just one. I figured out this neighborhood a bit better, and with just a little more mileage, I can be at the beach, which is a balm for my spirit. Tuesday was my first walk to the beach, and I started to cry when I touched the sand - happy tears mixed with grief, for sure. The beach is my place, and I was so debilitated with pain before the surgery that I haven't been able to go to a beach since last September. Being able to get there again, on my own and without wrenching pain, was liberating for my heart.

Weird aches and pains are still all around me, but also some things I expect to hurt don't. Everything is weird, everything. If ever my ego even has a moment of thinking "I'm KILLING this recovery!!", my body has been quick with reminders that we are in the early days of healing, still. My hip feels cyborgian. It's stiff and has wonky clicks and thunks and feels heavy. At certain ranges and angles of motion I SWEAR I can feel fibrous tissue growing around the acetabular cup. With my dysplasia, a good portion of the cup is exposed in there, uncovered by bone, so I figure something has to grow to cover it? We do grow new tissue around the implants, don't we? Bc I swear I feel it! My mind envisions it growing like fairy tale rose brambles, fast and thick and messy. It's fascinating actually, like observing my body accepting and integrating this new foreign hardware and trying to make it ours. Work In Progress.

Quad, hip flexor, abductor, and lower back tightness on op leg. I had really restless legs earlier in the week and had hubs pick me up a bottle of my favorite calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement, which seems to help. Had my second outpatient PT appointment today and boy is she helpful. Felt a lot looser in all the tight spots after she got done with a combo of "claw", ultrasound, manual joint therapy for my back, etc. Combo ice and heating pad now, and once I post this I'll either go straight to bed or get in one last shorter walk before bed.

Usually taking a Tramadol in the evening, as well as the two Gabapentin my PA suggested I keep taking. Kind of want to ditch the Gabapentin but it might be helping me sleep. I'm not getting a ton but 5-7 hours isn't bad either. I have it for max one more week and looking forward to coming off all the extra meds this surgery brought with it. 9 more days of Aspirin. Almost there!

Thanks for sticking it out with me over these last five months (!). The journey continues...

Happy 3 weeks to you! I enjoyed your eloquent description of the ups and downs, joys and frustrations of this recovery. Happy to read you made it to the beach and how that soothes your soul. Sorry to read your mom’s leaving—it must have been wonderful to have her there by your side. Take care! I hope the weeks to come bring you a lot to celebrate!

Sounds like you are doing quite well for just three weeks post-op. And, yes, it IS a roller coaster!

Yesterday I felt exhausted all day, and today I've been extremely emotional
What you describe is completely normal! Our bodies use up a LOT of energy while we are healing and that's why we tend to "run out of steam" much faster than usual. Scroll down to the second post in this link to see why you feel exhausted some days:
Energy drain for THRs

Also, you may have read this already, but here's a great article from our library about the post-op blues.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Wishing you continued progress on your recovery journey. Keep us posted!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom