Guest viewing is limited

THR LaKarune's Journey Back to the Dance Floor - Recovery Thread

I’ve been mentally prepping for Days 3-6, which seem to be everyone’s worst days (based on my copious Recovery Thread reading).

If I'm remembering correctly, you had Exparel injected into the hip joint during surgery? I also had this and was sweating bullets as t-minus 78 hours loomed and it was due to wear off, as well as any of the other pain relief I may have had from surgery that was clearing my system. I'd been told at the surgical center to definitely start taking the narcotic after 78 hours to head off any breakthrough pain resulting from the Exparel clearing, so I took the max dose the night before as instructed and....good news! I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have breakthrough pain. After that one max dose of painkillers, I took single doses at night and that was more for prevention than need. So, just to let you know that days 4-6 don't always mean instant, agonizing pain for everyone. You've been icing and elevating and taking pain meds as prescribed, so you're certainly doing everything you can to prepare for the worst, but just wanted to share that day 4 isn't always a guaranteed doomsday. ;)
Yes to the Exparel, which is why I've been thinking my relatively chill first 3 days might have been sort of a honeymoon moment. Well, just a few hours ago I got intense pains in my lower back on the non-operative side (my friend, the overcompensator) and I'm feeling quite a lot more hobbly than I have in the last 90-ish hours... and then I noticed edema in my operative knee that hadn't been there before... so I think I've turned into a pumpkin. Or I rather feel a bit like the girl in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory who blew up like a balloon after drinking fizzypop... or maybe the other one with the gumballs. Either way, I'm definitely swelling more this evening and I'm going to bed early with my legs in extreme wedge elevation and maybe an extra Oxy. Boo. This is less crazy breakthrough pain and more edema and weird pains on my "good" side, so maybe it's less to do with the Exparel and more just what happens when we're healing. I'm sure Layla would tell me it's normal and to be patient. Patience not my best quality, unfortunately. :tantrum:
I seriously thought you were posting a picture from the wrap on the pillow showing a model comfortably reclined, in perfect position. And then I realized that was actually you! Maybe you have a second career in modelling wedge pillows? And now, after reading your description of using the cane, I'm stuck with the picture of Debbie Allen in "Fame" thunking her cane on the floor as she said, "you've got big dreams? You want fame? Well fame costs!" :heehee:
Debbie Allen in the "Fame" series is truly iconic. Thrilled to even be mentioned with her, though not quite ready to bring on the final part of that iconic sentence: "--and this is where you pay: in SWEAT". Maybe in another six months, Miss Allen!!!

And hopefully the wedge pillow people will find your comment and license my photos... ah the thrill of modeling medical equipment... make the dream come true, wedge pillow people.
You're doing really, really well - so good to see you making the most of the time and recovery!
Thank you for the encouragement! Hopefully some of this yelling in my "good" side will calm down overnight.

Good night!
 
Hi friends. Day 7! This time last Thursday I was in my hospital room feeling the incredible effects of post-surgery RELIEF. I want to make sure I never forget that feeling, because that was as real a milestone for me as actually getting this THR was.

My first three days were relatively easy, all things considered, I think thanks in good part to the Exparel, but I don't want to discount the skill of my surgeon, my prehab, and my overall good health and strength as contributing factors. Day 4-6 were harder, more swollen and just...weird. I have had pretty intense muscle contractions in my operative leg, and learned from the home PT that just doing little things like going to get food in the kitchen 11x a day was doing too much. I got a lot louder with my family about needing active, constant, dedicated support for all the little things. Probably I'm feeling better today in large part because I insisted they show up so I could rest and elevate and ice like it's my job. Now they get strict with me when I want to take a break from elevating. :heehee:

The loudest emotion I'm having at the moment is boredom. Every day is the same and it's just tedious as heck. There are moments of fun: my older daughter (20) has been alternating with my hubs as caretaker in chief, and she and I have been watching Lisa Kudrow's show THE COMEBACK together. I watched some episodes when it came out years and years ago, but never started from S1, Ep1 until now. My god, this woman is a comedy genius. It's the most incredible send-up of terrible reality shows maybe ever made. If you like cringe-comedy, I highly recommend.

I get dizzy being in front of screens too long (Gabapentin??) and can only do 1-2 episodes at a time, so I have to think of other stuff to do while my lymphatic system is still working this hard. The upper quad and hip flexor area of my operative leg is downright squishy with fluid...it's gross and I pee constantly. When does all this swelling and lymphatic drainage start to slow down?? Is it a noticeable decline at some point, or does it just gradually slow down as the healing happens?

I haven't needed a walker since the first day I got home, and I've gotten better about using the cane effectively...trying to make sure I don't create a weird skew in my gait, though my proprioception is pretty off, so I'm still a bit unsure of how I'm doing. I'm looking forward to the heat around the incision calming down so I can get a better feel for my new hip. All in due time I guess...

:bored:
 
LaKarue, I hear you boredom/cabin fever. I found that getting out to go to PT was nice as was getting back to work today. Fortunate I can work remotely from home. That, and just getting outside in the yard fir 10 minutes- but yeah, the boredom is a grind. I’m trying to see at as delayed gratification - an investment with a payoff in the not to distant future.
 
It was very clear when my muscles cramped up in my last PT visit that I was going to have to resign myself to some boredom @tanvat but that doesn’t mean I can’t complain about it. Lol. Tomorrow Im going to ask PT for outside walking permission. She really just wants me to do six laps 3x a day up and down my little hallway and then lay back down. Dullllll
 
I’m walking outdoors now and it has made a tremendous difference in my mood. Fingers crossed you get cleared for outside time.

Yes, cleared for outside walks!! As long as they are short enough and slow enough. I got so excited about being outside that I walked faster than my PT and she made the rules clear. Lol
 
Day 10. Got hit with an increase in pain yesterday evening. Was ok earlier in the day (Day 9) and very happy to see my nail artist (she comes to me)… clean fresh toes and a new set of nails certainly makes a girl feel more human. But I hadn’t managed much sleep the night before and felt very low energy and increased pain later in the day. Sometime near bedtime I also unthinkingly reached down and did a sock adjustment across midline that totally broke my restrictions and made me yelp. Maybe soft tissue strain? Got really freaked out by that. I have a relatively low pain tolerance so feeling increased pain is really torture for my brain and now I have increased anxiety.

Been struggling with intense muscle contractions in the upper leg. Does anyone have tips for gentle muscle release? Everything from my hip flexors to my hamstrings need help relaxing. They are SEIZED.

And I need sleep. I can’t get comfortable. I end up sleeping on my back but wake up frequently and my incision complains. I want to give my incision a break from getting sat and laid on but I have such intense muscle guarding around the “No crossing midline” rule that no side position is ever comfortable anymore. (I’m naturally a side sleeper.) In order to side sleep Id need a pillow mountain to prevent me from rolling backwards and twisting my torso away from my hip illegally. Plus I can’t get the pillow positioning right between my knees that also supports my calves and ankles.

Achy, tired, anxious. That’s where I’m at this Day 10 morning. Gonna try to go back to sleep for a bit.
 
@LaKarune - I also made a stupid move early on, crossed the midline, broke the 90 degree rule and lifted something heavy all in one movement. I had a shooting pain through my buttock into the lower back. I went for a walk around the house, took some painkillers and took to my bed anxiously wondering if I’d done anything serious. I hadn’t but I totally understand your anxiety and I hope you haven’t either.
I’ve luckily managed to get used to sleeping on my back. Fear of rolling around in my sleep made me focus on it and in the end I have got used to it although I never thought I would. I hope you manage to get comfortable. We need all the sleep we can get. I know I napped a lot in the early days to make up for a lack of sleep at night.
Take care.
 
I’m sorry to read things are so difficult right now. I had a similar experience with my body just aching a lot from lying around on my back. For me, things began to improve after day 10. I hope the same for you. :loveshwr:
 
Sounds about right for Day 10 or recovery. Sometimes the slightest increase in activity can bump up the discomfort, hopefully you will feel better as the day continues.
Its a necessary stage to go through. But it will pass.
Are you elevation for your swelling? I post this occasionally for members who are sloshing around, and I apologize if you've already seen it or read it on other threads, but here is my tips for moving more of the excess lymph fluid. The key part for you would be the deep breathing and massage of your abdomen.
Maybe give it a whirl and see how you feel. :) :-) (:

If you want to do something extra to help move the swelling, try some deep, diaphragmatic breathing while laying on your back with your legs elevated. All of the edema and lymph fluid needs to go back to the trunk of your body to get processed and eventually pass (urine). Deep breaths early on can make a big difference.
This helped me a lot with both hips I tried to do it 2-3 times a day, especially at bedtime.
Remember that phrase " go with the flow"? Well that's what you want :heehee:
I still had swelling- my hip this time was apparently producing quite a bit- but after a few days of doing this it started responding well to the breathing exercises. I remember one day in particular, I propped up my legs with extra pillows, got nice and comfy in bed and did the breathing with hand compressions, drifted off to sleep and awakened to a much better looking leg, what a relief.
The hand compressions are easy too. Just place one of your hands flat on top of your navel area and press firmly down and upwards towards your diaphragm as you completely breath out.
 
I don’t know if you can get your hands on one but I really really got a lot of relief out of the “GameReady” ice/compression system I rented. Between the pain and the swelling I don’t know how I would have survived the first 3 weeks without it.

“Seized” muscles - not sure if the same thing but for the first several weeks I’d often get an intense burning in my quads after fully extending my legs. It went away, slowly, over a few weeks. So hopefully everything is temporary, good luck w recovery!
 
LaKarune, hang in there. I imagine a couple days of rest will alleviate the pain from the soft tissues that were strained.
 
Quick update - pain has diminished some and therefor so has my anxiety. Also got a nice treat - my daughter brought my little friend over, and it always cheers me up a bit to have pup time.
[Bonesmart.org] LaKarune's Journey Back to the Dance Floor - Recovery Thread
 
Random healing question:
Is it normal for the incision and an area directly adjacent to it to feel hot to the touch compared to the rest of my leg? I don’t feel like I have an infection. Just weirded out by how hot that are feels.
 
@LaKarune - gorgeous puppy. I had that feeling around my incision site too and it’s also been the area that’s most tender. The incision isn’t just superficial and I guess cuts through all sorts in that area and I suppose the swelling and healing are all deep seated. I also ‘spat a stitch’ a few weeks ago. You’re not alone and personally, having regularly asked my physio about it, I’m not worried. If you are concerned, get it checked out.
 
Thank you @Gloucestergal65 - I figure it’s normal, it’s just so intense. Maybe a reminder of how major this surgery really is…

I have my first post-op visit this Thursday with the Physician’s Assistant, so she’ll check the incision and I’ll ask her then for sure.

I also ‘spat a stitch’ a few weeks ago.

What does this mean? Sounds slightly terrifying.
 
@LaKarune ’spat a stitch’ - sometimes the deeper stitches come to the surface, it felt like a cactus thorn and caught on my clothes and made me go ‘Ow’ when I brushed my hand over it. It was barely visible. I didn’t swim that week but one day it was there and then it had gone. I don’t know if it fell off or was reabsorbed. I think it’s quite common.
 
@LaKarune ’spat a stitch’ - sometimes the deeper stitches come to the surface, it felt like a cactus thorn and caught on my clothes and made me go ‘Ow’ when I brushed my hand over it. It was barely visible. I didn’t swim that week but one day it was there and then it had gone. I don’t know if it fell off or was reabsorbed. I think it’s quite common.

I am so glad you told me about this possibility!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom