THR Kritterkiddo's L THR recovery

Check over in the Social Room (under the Community link above). There is a stickied thread for our bike riders with excellent tips on how to get back to riding after having a joint replaced.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Week 7
Something dawned on me while walking this morning.
I am having pain now and then. More specifically an ache or a discomfort, nothing like the seering burn PO.

But it is in the exact same spot in the joint.

It is unpredictable and not attached to a specific movement or sitting. At PT and in the doc's office I always say no pain but there is always something else to pay attention to in those places.
I can be easily distracted from noticing it, but when I wake up, there it is. Or walking alone, there it is. And then it is not there!
Is this new hip gaslighting me?!
Is it all in my head?
Or, since it is raining out, is it my own personal weatherforcaster?
Humph.
I am at the same stage as you ( now 8 weeks) and I can relate to what you are describing. It’s something I have been worrying about (I seem to be doing a lot of worrying!). Like you, it’s not exactly pain, more of a “ feeling” if that makes sense, like you can feel the metal inside.
Mine is also like yours in that I’m not conscious of it all the time, it comes and goes.
I’m hoping that all this is temporary because it’s still early days, and that one day we can go about our day without even thinking of “ the hip”.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@EssexGirl boy, I was distracted today by my distressed pet and did not notice my hip one bit!!
And that is wonderful because before, the pain would not have stopped!
Lots to be thankful for.
All the best!!
 
Glad to hear you didn’t notice your hip hurting today but sorry it was because you had a distressed pet . When I’ve got a distressed or poorly pet it’s literally all I can think about, it’s so stressful. Hope they’re ok now and you can go back to concentrating on your hip!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You know @benne68 today, with the worry over my distressed cat, searching for a vet, relief when one is found, then having to search for the cat right when it was time to leave [How  do they know it is time to go to the vet], driving in the rain, carrying the crate... not once did I think about my hip. And not once did it complain. It stepped up.
Merry Christmas!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
yep, those weird unexplained feelings can really make you shake your head. Especially when they come and go with no reason or rhyme! I know I had some that would drive me nuts and I was ok, going to see the OS next week, we'll get to the bottom of this. Yep the day I go see him I have absolutely no pain, weird feelings, twitches, zips, zaps you name it! My hip was behaving like a superstar. And of course when I'm trying to explain to the OS he looks at me like I'm crazy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Sunday before Christmas 2023

The cat and my hip were attached today and we had no stressful situations.

I reached a really good milestone in that after my shower, I was finally able to dry my entire leg with the towel!

Next goal: drying between my toes. I mean compared to that putting on a sock is easy. Ya just kind o lasso the toes & pull.

Peace, joy & love! :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Haha! We do become rather resourceful in recovery. :wink:
Merry Christmas! Hope you have a nice day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Christmas Afternoon

What is the tendonitis issue which comes later on from over doing the PT in the beginning?
How does it manifest itself?

Thanks y'all!
 
not sure exactly what tendinitis you're referring to. I know overdoing PT or other activities can really agitate the trochanteric bursitis as I'm sure it can do to any form of bursitis.

An exercise the PA shared with me is, while standing you raise your leg straight out to the side and bring it back down. Repeat on other side, do a few reps here and there throughout the day. You can always use the countertop to balance yourself if you feel a little wobbly.

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Cheers to a great 2024 with your new hip. :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Two Months
Thank you for remembering @Layla!
I think that I am in better shape than pre Op and feel steady.
The positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

I have so much to be grateful for.

Peace this New Year. :prayer:
 
Yesterday was a Thursday, so it must be that another week has passed. They are going by faster since my surgery, and I am getting back into the stream of our life, stronger and more able. What a huge blessing.

My steps are increasing a bit. What used to be the maximum number of steps, 2,200, is now the minimum taken in a day. I looked at 2,900 without a care in the world because there were no nasty-grams from my hip about it!

I love my PT exercises, especially the isometric ones where you lay down and squeeze & hold the muscle groups one at a time: butt, thigh, knee calves, straighten leg, and also do arms and abs.

I get vertigo so crunches are out. A sudden violent head movement can be nothing, or can cause me to have to clear the calendar that day. It is BPPV which comes with age.

Does anyone have a favorite type of trekking or hiking poles that you would recommend to me for our daily walk?
Thanks.

All the best!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Leki walking staffs as needed in lieu of canes for over 20 years ( currently their super micro single staff to replace a lost one). Were I in the market for trekking or hiking poles, it's definitely the brand I'd buy.

I like their sturdiness, the secure locking mechanism on the telescoping parts, and the option of covering the pointy trail tip with a wider rubbery street/sidewalk tip.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom