THR Kritterkiddo's L THR recovery

Three months and a bit

It never gets old to wake up because nature calls instead of the stabbing pain in my hip joint. And my first thought is 'my hip feels so good.' What a gift. No more having all my thoughts being about terrible pain.
The joy continues throughout the day as I think gosh I can go here & there & up on one step of the step stool. I get up two hrs before anyone else so I can take care of things around the house and can do it so much better then before my surgery. Even started to clean a couple of windows every morning.
Our fav things to do includes kayaking but not till it warms up so I get to do much needed chores. Very very happy.

Not taking for granted feeling good.

I wish everyone who is having issues a full & speedy recovery.

All the best!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great update]! It won't be long before you "forget" that you have a replacement hip!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
what a wonderful update, I'm so happy to hear this. You are definitely getting around well, kayaking and cleaning a couple windows every morning!?! Wow, you are a super star! :egypdance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Elf1. I can explain the window cleaning... i had a moment of truth today.
I had a Secret that made my heart sink.
It is stting in a folder on the counter. Not taking up space but just laying there. I'd catch it in the corner of my eye and immediately think 'OH Those Windows! Better clean them.'
Or next time I see the folder, I think 'OH That thingamajig should be moved outta here into the studio.'
Or I happily did the annual taxes!
Then the next time I wiped the counter when I might actually have to pick up the folder instead I would think 'I should go see my husband (who, btw, was probably happily doing something in the garage) and see if he needs help.'
You may see a pattern here. Definite avoidance syndrome. This has gone on every day since mid January & it is Feb 12th.
So here's the deal. Mid January I got quotes to do dental work. :scary:They are in that folder. They cover the differing costs depending on how much work I chose to have done on an old root canal. Like, I not only have to get work done I have to pay this much, or I have to pay this much?
Dental work makes window cleaning look like a favorite hobby!!
Correct me if I am wrong!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, well yes, that's deep into "better than a poke in the eye" territory for sure!
Well, may your windows be clean AND may you one day soon take a deep breath, read the folder, and pick up the phone....
 
Oh my, well yes, that's deep into "better than a poke in the eye" territory for sure!
Well, may your windows be clean AND may you one day soon take a deep breath, read the folder, and pick up the phone....
I did just that today, and am on the calendar!! So brave!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Almost certainly facing something similar soon. I’ve always hated the dentist but since having children and having to be brave in front of them, I have managed to reduce the phobic anxiety to some extent. I’ve always thought it must be a horrible job where most of your patients/customers hate coming to see you. :kickedout:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel badly, I get mild sedation for pretty much anything more than a cleaning!
 
I'm so there with you! Was actually at my dentist today for a cleaning and exam. Had a good discussion with the doc about the different options I have for the way ahead. Even with decent, if that's really a thing, dental insurance treatment is just so expensive. Wishing you the best with your upcoming appointment and hopefully they don't break the bank. :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Almost Four Months

Phhhfff. Yesterday I played for five hours with 18 other musicians at a jam and had the best time. Instruments included a plethora of electric acoustic guitars, a dobro, a bass, a fiddler, a mandolin and a keyboard. Songs ranged from country to swing, gospel, pop and mostly bluegrass.
I mention this because while it is the so darned fun, it marks my aging. It has become difficult to schlepp all my gear. I mean, it is like moving day when I pack up my little wheeled cart with music stand, mic stand, music books, cables and all the little things that I simply cannot live without and tote it from the car to the venue with stuff hanging off my shoulders and guitar gig bag on my back all while balancing my special tea wi honey in one spare hand. I don't mean to be insensitive, but I look like a bag lady with a big smile.
While my hip is a big help, my overall conditioning is less still. I do upper body exercises, walk, and all my PT every day. Gave up sugar last year. I don't have a problem with it in my blood tests but just decided to quit for my teeth. (And my motto used to be 'don't get between me and my chocolate' but it hasn't been a struggle.)
Usually when I diet & exercise I see immediate results. Aging, however, seems to make this harder to achieve. I have to work harder and longer and be patient.
I see a recurring pattern about this patience stuff.
My shiney new hip is a really huge gift and is a second chance, so I am off for a walk because motion is lotion!

All the best!
 
your session with musician friends sounds wonderful! Now, given what you said about schlepping all the gear .... maybe it's time to get your own roadie -- a young apprentice, who wants to learn and carry on the musical traditions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like a wonderful day of music!!!

Hmmm... if you can't get a roadie, maybe a set of panniers for a dog? THAT would be quite a sight!

Kidding aside, even with increased dietary protein I find it hard to gain back muscle mass and tone, and my low stamina is more limiting than my newer knee. Yep. It really is harder at our age. But.... doing the best we can is what we can do!
 
It sounds like a wonderful day of music!!!

Hmmm... if you can't get a roadie, maybe a set of panniers for a dog? THAT would be quite a sight!

Kidding aside, even with increased dietary protein I find it hard to gain back muscle mass and tone, and my low stamina is more limiting than my newer knee. Yep. It really is harder at our age. But.... doing the best we can is what we can do!
That's a funny picture!!
And I, too, eat so much protein.
Thanks for your comment, I feel better!!

Not giving up!
 
Four and a half months

I wonder how long we need to massage the incision area to break up the scar tissue. My scar is a thin smooth line with no lumps. It gets daily BioOil or Mederma Scar lotion.
As temps have gone up I have transitioned back into normal cotton undies and my regular jeans without any incision discomfort. Thankful!

All the best.
 
If there's no lumps or ropes and everything feels fine, let it go unless you think you want to try to help the scar fade.
 
I’ll post this in my own thread but my scar is still quite red and feels bump. So not there yet and I’m six months out from the op so you are doing well.
 
I've read the scar is fully matured at six months, if that helps you while considering the length of time you want to devote to massaging the area. It does eventually fade to a thin white line for most. Yay for the day our comfiest jeans no longer cause irritation. You're doing great! I hope this week is a good one for you. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom