Knees need to be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check to see if any cancellations come up in your doctor's schedule.
If you can do this---if you are flexible in terms of your schedule---this can help.

If the office knows that you are willing to jump at the next opportunity, and they do not have others in dire straits, too, then perhaps you can get moved up!
 
The doctor office called today I got my pre op appointment 12 Jan but they changed my surgery date it moved to 6 Feb. I am getting my dental work done, I should be finished by 17 Dec. I think I am ready to be done.
 
The doctor office called today I got my pre op appointment 12 Jan but they changed my surgery date it moved to 6 Feb. I am getting my dental work done, I should be finished by 17 Dec. I think I am ready to be done.
It is great to have the date! You are getting everything lined up and ready to go!
 
I had my pre op appointment today, I did not realize it would take four hours to get everything done I have to go back on the 5th of February to give blood for type and cross and to get my wrist bands. What type of shoes do I need to get for after surgery. What type of clothes do I need to bring to the hospital. Will they allow me to have my cell phone in the hospital. I am on hormone replacement therapy and the nurse said I have to take my estrogen patch off three days before surgery, do I need to take my gyn about this. Thanks for any input.
 
You should bring comfortable clothes (think stretchy pants with elastic waist) and slip on shoes with non slip soles. I brought Skechers GoWalk and they were great. I think almost all hospitals allow cell phones- bring an extension cord and your charger. You'll have to talk to your doc about the HRT. I am on pills and just skipped a few days with no problems. Good luck!
 
@PuppyLove thanks for the advice, a few more questions. Did you use pillow if so how many or did use a wedge to elevate your knees. Do you think I will be able to go the hair salon two or three weeks after surgery? I have three weeks until surgery and I don't feel nervous yet.
 
I slept in my recliner for several months after my surgery. I tried sleeping in bed but even with pillows I couldn't get comfy. I was fortunate to not have significant swelling and did not use a wedge to elevate. I did have a special ice machine which also did compression, and I used that a lot (like whenever I was sitting in the recliner with the leg part up). My recliner goes fairly flat, but the leg part is not above heart level. Some Bonesmarties have had problems with swelling and bruising- I did not have either.

I would recommend going to the hair salon right before surgery. I would not have been able to sit with my legs down for that long for at least six weeks. I was able to handle 10-15 minutes at the table to eat, then it was back to recliner.

Riding in the car was painful at first. The trip home from the hospital was really bad- bring pillows and put the seat back as far as possible to extend your legs, and ask for pain meds before you discharge (riding in the wheelchair was also painful). I had in-home PT for a month, which was nice because I wouldn't have wanted to ride in a car for the first few weeks at least.

I realize this post sounds negative, but the reality is that recovery from BTKR is a long process, and painful at first. Take your pain meds on schedule and let your doctor know if your pain is not controlled. I tried to cut back and tough it out after a few weeks and it was a big mistake. I am almost 4 months out and still going to PT, still have stiffness when changing position, and I still think about my knee movements all day every day. It is, however, so much better now than it was before surgery, and I know it will continue to improve as long as I work at it. I had a hip replacement in May and I seldom think about it; I know I will get to that point with my knee. Be patient and blessings will come your way!
 
@PuppyLove thank you so much for the advice, pray that I don't have a lot swelling. I will try the bed first if that doesn't work I try the recliner. I hope your recovery continues to well.
 
I think everyone has swelling--it seems to be how fast it goes down that varies.

I didn't really use my recliner until a couple of weeks into my recovery. I found I could elevate much better on the bed with a system of pillows. So I had my laptop in the bedroom to watch videos while I elevated. The nice thing about dvds is if you doze off in the middle you can always find where you left off and start again. :heehee:
I slept ok, though in installments, in bed.
everyone is different.
 
Ice will be your best bet for swelling Huskymama....for swelling and pain or discomfort ...when swelling subsides you can do a great deal more....if you can elevate your toes higher than your nose that works great..


Vinny
 
@kneeper I watch a lot of tv now when I lay down to ice and rest my knees. I am going to try pillows in my bed for elevation and icing. Thanks for your support

@vinny I got some ice pack and plan to buy more before surgery and I have to more pillows for both knees. Thanks for your support
 
If you're adventurous you can make your own ice packs from water and rubbing alcohol- freeze in ziplock baggies or a FoodSaver vacuum sealer. Just google "DIY ice packs." I made mine really big (11x17) with the foodsaver and they were great. They stay really cold for a long time.
 
I made mine really big (11x17) with the foodsaver and they were great. They stay really cold for a long time.
That is great---the bigger the ice pack, the better. You will be icing the entire knee. I used two about the same size during my BTKR.

Remember, the mass of the larger ones will retain the cold longer than the smaller ones, too.
 
Just another thought- I mixed mine in a ziplock and froze it so I could adjust the ratio of alcohol and water to the right consistency for me. Just be sure to measure the ingredients! After I got it right I transferred it to Foodsaver bags.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom