Knees need to be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an appointment with the PA and she asked if I was ready for surgery, I said yes I am ready get my life back. I will see the surgeon on 30 Oct to set a surgery date. I asked about having bilateral knee replacement she said I may me be a good candidate because I got a blood clot after a previous surgery. Has anyone else had a blood clot after a previous surgery and had a BTKR. Will having issues with low B12 and small red blood cell cause problems during recovery.
 
I cant give any imput on the bloodclots but i can tell you i am now pain free in my knee. My knee is 8 months old and the best thing i have ever done. I feel 20 years younger . I work as a butcher for a Costco and after work i workout for 2 hours.... with no pain . Its miraculous . Best of luck , Iceman
 
I can't wait until I can walk my dogs, go shopping and go to the gym all in the same day without pain. @icep707 thank you for the response.
 
@huskymama - something else I tried that might work for you are joint fluid injections. I did Orthovisc twice and Synvisc once, they were not a miracle for me by any means, but they did provide a little relief. I was hoping they would be a bigger help and for longer, and for some people they are. Just something to consider.
 
I had appointment with OS today and we set a date for my BTKR for 27 Jan 2015. He said I will stay in the hospital for 2 or 3 days then I will go a rehab facility to make sure I can take care of my self once I get home, he also gave me prescription for vicodin to help with the pain. I so ready for surgery because me knee have been hurting so much lately.
 
It's a big step forward to actually get on the books for surgery. Now you can start making preparations for your homecoming. The time will be here before you know it!
 
Congrats on getting a date!
 
@huskymama,

Congratulations on setting the date! The first step towards your new life!:happydance:

I tried the shots, lots of different braces and everything including a walker with 4 wheels and a seat while I taught 7th graders my last year.

Since my surgeries, I have lost 191 pounds, am doing many activities, including the Houston a Marathon in January!

Yes, there can be a wonderful pain free life after knee replacements!:):egypdance:
 
@huskymama,

We will be here for you every step of the way!:loveshwr: We had people that got us through the tough times, and stuck by us to celebrate the good times, and we like to "pay it forward!":happydance::friends:
 
Thank you RestAssured for the encouragement, I need it right now because my knees are really hurting and I am having a hard time walking.
 
@huskymama,

As they say "Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt to prove it!":console2: I know the pain you are going through, and although you will have some pain as you rehab, remember you will be getting your life back!

Write a "bucket list" of things you would like to be able to do after you get your new knees! I keep adding to mine! Right now, I have 11 more weeks of training and then the Houston Marathon!:happydance:
 
You have a date, and a plan. Those are all steps in the right direction. Any possibility of it getting moved up? As long as your healthcare team knows of your clotting issues, there's protocols in place to monitor and prevent clots. Follow all of them to a T and you'll do just fine.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
They haven't said anything about an earlier date yet. My OS seems confident I want have a problem with blood clots.
 
I think my knee are getting worse because the pain is keeping me from doing everyday things like house cleaning, shopping or just walking. I was using one cane now I need two or I have start using crutches to get around. I don't know how I am going to manage for more than two more months with this pain.
 
Hang in there---perhaps your OS will have a cancellation and you can get it done earlier!

I can tell you that, after your surgery, you will be amazed at how great you feel! We will help you get through it!
 
@huskymama,

I remember your pain; I had 2 knee braces a 4 wheeled seated walker! Please know that if you can reduce the amount of moving you have to do until surgery only what is absolutely necessary, then you can make it. Check to see if any cancellations come up in your doctor's schedule.

After rehab, the change in your life will be full of happiness and moving towards a pain free life!:friends:

We will be here for you!
 
Thanks @RestAsured my mother told me the same thing, it's just hard to let things go or to do less. I am that person who takes care other people not my self.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom