Knee Replacements Not Harmed by Most Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bindings hold the boot onto the ski. They are connected to the ski.

On downhill skis, the boot is held onto the ski at both the toe and heel end of the boot, and when you fall, you can give yourself a nasty injury (eg broken leg or horrible knee injury) because you are rigidly connected to the skis. To avoid this the bindings are set to release the boot from the ski when you fall.

If you set your bindings on a loose setting to ensure they release you when they should, they may sometimes release when you are skiing, but if you set them tight, there is a risk that they may not release when they should.

On cross country skis, the bindings are much simpler and only hold you in at the toe, so you don't need the quick release.
 
I would think that there really wouldn't be much risk of damage to the implants due to the very low impact when skiing. The primary risk is to the ligaments and tendons when you fall. Twisting or hyperextending are the main concerns.
I am not worried about the skiing part. But I'm sure I'll be sweating bullets when I have that first fall.
 
Do what you want, but use some common sense. Stick to the fun but lower impact activities. You'll be happier in the end. With any luck, both you and your knees will exit this life at the same time...that's my plan.
 
Vibram five finger shoes seem to be the new answer to what you talked about when running. "Soft cushy shoes could actually be causing more harm than good by allowing folks to run in a way the body was never really meant to."
Supposedly, these types of shoes directly address that issue. Anyone out there tried them post TKR? would be interesting to see if they are worth getting.
 
My husband and I have just purchased the recumbent bikes. I can't wait to be able to get back on those. I think that will be just what the Doctor ordered.
 
The Vibram Five Fingers look cool, but not sure I want to spend that sort of money for shoes I'm not going to like. Minimalist type shoes are sold by almost every major shoe company now
 
oops, just saw this post, lol. Too late and already taken nighttime meds, lol. We just found them on sale, and paid $50 bucks for them. Let your fingers do the the shopping, and try a pair.
 
Fila offers lesser shoe called Skeletoes, with bones in the tread. I regularly see them advertised locally for $40 and less. Reviews of them aren't horrible, but then i'm reading from the standpoint of running. Some shoes I will be ordering shortly, https://zemgear.shptron.com/products/productdetail/Ninja Low/part_number=7000/6944.0.1.1.0.0.0.0.0?
they are unique and minimalist running folks like them for the gym and other activities. They do offer a running version of this shoe. I want them for therapy, the gym and just knocking around in. Now which vibrant color striping should I choose?
 
I've been wearing VFFs for a couple of years and love them for training, but don't find them suitable for general wear, just too strange looking. My wife has a pair of Skeletoes and likes them. As mentioned, many shoe companies are offering minimalist shoes these days and I've tried some of them. My favorites are Merrel Tough Gloves. They look pretty conventional and are suitable for casual dress, but provide most of the benefit of the Five Fingers.

I advise caution on transitioning from cushy to minimalist shoes. Wear them for short periods initially and increase the duration gradually. This is especially for runners. Runners World has a forum on this and the consensus seems to be that it's best to practice running barefoot for short distances on flat grassy surfaces like soccer fields before transitioning to longer runs on mixed surfaces with the minimal footwear.
 
I attended Killington Ski Race Camp for six full days of non-stop ski drills and racing. Four months after TKR, I had no problem with my knee whatsosever. Getting off some low ending chair lifts requires flexation, but skiing not not feel like it is at all hard on the knee joint.
 
Enjoy Killington. There is cetainly no snow in my woods. I found that skiing put very little awkward pressure on my knee. It was my damaged ankle that bothered my style.
I did fall 3 times, once releasing bindings and sennding skii striaght up in the air as I slid down upside down. Great binding check.
Yoga and dancing both give me more trouble than skiing. 129deg flexation is not quite enough to grab my ankle. Just need a few more degrees for yoga standing postures. Hot tub stretches every night.
 
Joggers-- I snowshoe jog around the lake and woods by my house, 2 1/2 miles. Very low impact and quite a workout, esp when deep snow has a crust. Just keep your dog off the heels and spray Pam on your shoes. You can sweat when it is below zero.
 
Here's another good sport for new knees: Scuba.

Just got back a few weeks ago from Jamaica where I got 4 dives in. Would've had 6 dives but rough seas prevented being able to go out one day. I would tell you my knee felt great after every single dive and the only assistance I had was removing my tank and BC so I could climb the ladder back into the boat... it was a great dive trip and a wonderful way to celebrate my two month old knees
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Knee Replacements Not Harmed by Most Sports
    PICT0093.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 196
  • [Bonesmart.org] Knee Replacements Not Harmed by Most Sports
    PICT0123.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 192
The Vibram Five Fingers look cool, but not sure I want to spend that sort of money for shoes I'm not going to like. Minimalist type shoes are sold by almost every major shoe company now

Ahh the benefits of my job. Vibram Five Fingers has given me two pair...that being said, I would NEVER go out running in them! Very good for the gym though and walking around the hot pool decking in the summer time. My new running shoe of choice is Newton. www.newtonrunning.com :thumb:
 
Bonnie, I worked in a store that sold the five fingers and decided to try a pair on. My little toes which I realized sort of tucked into my next to little toes did not want to go into their own little slot. I walked around and my toes went Oh, no, ouch, ouch. When I finally allowed my little toe to go back into it's little slot, they were very happy. Kel
 
broken link removed: https://www.superknee.com/ is a new forum from a group studying the limits of knee replacement technology and ways to push them back. They're looking for input from those pursuing athletic lifestyles post TKR.
 
It has now been 8 months since TKR and though tenacious work, I have good flexation. I was stuck at 129 when I left physical therapy. That was a little short of what I needed for yoga. Now that has seemed to improve.
The increased range I now have is very significant to anyone practicing yoga. I can now do BOW, PIGEON, DANCER, CRANE postures. These and a few more require one to reach to hand back to grab the foot. It is a real big deal.

Off to ski Stratton Mtn VT for the weekend. The knee works great for downhill skiing.
 
Hi Josaphine, I'm back on your site after having my left knee replaced 18 months ago. I am doing fantatic I have to say, I didn't think I was ever going to say that 9 months ago !!
6 weeks ago I started Body Combat (due to lots of weight gain with knee) I feel fantastic since starting it my knee feels more like it belongs to me now and I'm alot happier. I was concerned like others on this thread to wether I should be doing it or not the only thing I'm finding is that the knee clunks alot more now! but it makes me feel so much happier...so do your sport!!!! Karen:dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom