Knee Replacements Not Harmed by Most Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this discussion because we talk all the time at the gym about new studies contradicting older studies and not knowing what to believe. Medically or about exercise techniques.

It's true all the longer, bigger studies about knee replacements were done on older, more sedentary people. of course. The materials and the techniques for better outcomes have only been in use for a relatively few years. If I am looking at longevity studies on TKR's of 20 years --- those are older materials, perhaps older surgical techniques as well. And people who do not spend 5 days a week lifting at the gym and the 6th and 7th day hiking the huts in the White Mountains ( New Hampshire for those who don't know New England). Only because most TKR patients simply DIDN'T do this stuff then.

We who are running or skiing or mountain biking or climbing or whatever -- are pushing the envelope. But as Jo says -- why not? You can worry about tomorrow or you can live in the moment. Do you save all your money for a rainy day which may never come? Or do you spend some of it on the life you want -- and keep just enough to get you to the grave at 100???

I for one am going to live til I die ---- to quote a favorite song title. But it's a life each of us will chose for her/himself. Which is as it should be. Some of us are more into risk-taking than others.

I figure if my knee holds out for - say 10 years - and then I need some additional surgery -- the technology and the surgical techniques will be 10 years better. Now if only one could get a brain transplant as well :)
 
First, have never been a smoker, but understand why you would include that group. I've never been one to back down from a challenge or sit back and watch everyone else enjoy life. I just don't want to look back in a bunch of years and wonder why didn't I do "blank" when I had the chance...:DOH:

When my doc first mentioned replacement 2 years ago, I had a brief moment of ,"well, thats it"... And then started looking for answers. What I saw first was that yes, mainly older patients were getting them. In fact, I have 2 uncles and an aunt with replacements, and my grandfather had his replaced as well. So I likely have a genetic issue to keep an eye on... (yea!) But next I saw folks about my age, though older, and not a one of them was slowing down after replacement. Then I started looking at the younger folks than myself. Good luck telling them to slow down...:hysterical:

Shortening the storyline, I realized I was getting a second chance at living my life on my terms, not in pain. If I screw it up, well, I'll either live with it for a bit, or get it fixed. There is a competitive runner back running after Bilateral TKR. And a surfer girl that is competitive after losing an arm to a shark. My life isn't as much of a challenge as they have had, so I'll strap on my bike helmet and go for a ride, or lace up the running shoes and go for a jog (when I'm not hurting some other part of my body!!). I can't run the mountain trails like I did when I was skydiving and hang gliding and all, but I can sure have a good time doing other stuff. And I work outdoors, so I need to climb ladders and towers and into and on heavy equipment. I just won't jump off them like I used to.:biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being reckless. I have limits. And sure I'll find more. I've asked my doc and PT and my friend thats a PT about everything I want to do. My doc's official answer was, "If it hurts, back off, if it doesn't, go for it!":yahoo:

So, in 20 years I'll be 68 and will probably have plenty other things making me slow down. In 30 I'll be 78. I don't see myself as being on borrowed time, or running out of time. I see a lot of things I still want to do and should be able to do them.:yes 4:
 
Everyone's personal philosophy is different, but just for the avoidance of doubt you can be very active and still keep to sports and activities that are considered acceptable for knee replacements - it isn't a case of either taking risks with your knee or being inactive.

The allowed list is quite long these days. Allowed activities according to knee society include : cycling (which presumably includes mountain biking), swimming, rowing, walking, hiking, low-resistance weight lifting, dancing, golf, doubles tennis, table tennis,downhill skiing, scuba diving, in-line skating, ice skating, softball, volleyball, speed walking, horse riding, and low-impact aerobics.

Although we don't agree in this thread, it is clear that everyone has thought hard about their personal decision, which the right approach.

It is also great that people's knees function so well that they have all these choices..:thumb:
 
A very interesting read this thread, there's no right or wrong answer it's all about what you want out of life I guess. For me I want too have my life back, one where I can get outdoors hiking and Mountain Biking, the latter I haven't been able to do for a number of years, it's not about being reckless but quality of life.

I'm already excited at the prospects of life changing surgery, and I'm going to make sure I make up for lost time over the coming years. You only live twice, as Nancy Sinatra said!:thumb:
 
I have read a lot of these studies and not only are they conflicting, but the data is so often questionable. Some of them are paid for by the folks who make the knees!!

For me, common sense is the answer. I have a muscular and heavier body---have never been a runner because of that. However, if I were one of the little, small boned people who run easily and lightly, I might have a different opinion. I have no desire to run, but I did ski almost 100 days this winter. Skiing is easy on my knees--I am an expert skier and I don't feel tension on my knees when I ski.

I cycle a lot too--in the summer, about 100 miles per week. The thing that really kills my knees is golf!! which is on the allowable sport lists---probably because most docs are golfers!! I only play once or twice per week since this game definitely makes my knees sore.

I have never smoked and would hardly put the choice to ski bump runs (a choice) in the category with smoking which causes cancer, pollutes the environnment and hurts others around the smokers (second hand smoke).(also a choice)

I don't see anyone on this forum making a decision which completely goes against ALL medical advice--like smoking does. So many of the docs give different advice--often based on their own age and where they live. Here in Montana, hiking, biking, skiing and golf are all a part of the normal life---my doc told me from day one that he would expect me to ski again---if I had had to quit skiing, I would not have bothered with this operation.

I can see where a doctor from say Alabama might thing that skiing was too risky for knees. But, there are four ski instructors in my school with tkrs--so, obviously, that is not an unrealistic goal---but, I would not want to LEARN to ski with a tkr---especially if I were not in good shape.

I think that conditioning is the bottom line. If you are not in good shape, then, of course, many sports will be risky for you. So, if I were sedetary and did not do any sports but, was 100 lbs overweight would I be saving my knees? Of course not. I would like to see a study about sports with a group of folks who are in excellant condition and not carrying any extra pounds. And a study of people who return to sports that they have done for years and are in great condition. those are studies I would like to read.
 
I just attended a conference at the Wrightington Hospital (which you may not know but is the birth place of hip replacement surgery!). There was a discussion about this and the general consensus was that you could lay down all the rules you wanted but in the end patients will do what they want regardless!

One said he was constantly getting emails and texts from some of his patients, with photos attached, saying "hahaha - you'll never guess where I am/what I am doing at the moment!" but he admitted that he never looked at the pictures because to be perfectly honest, he'd really rather not know! :th_heehee: He also added that some of them had been operated on years ago and yet they seemed to be getting away with this 'recklessness' remarkably well.
 
Well, to throw my two cents in...
If it feels good, do it!!
Leave the "studies" to the Doctors.
I work out 5-7 days per week. My Doctor said that if I wanted to continue practicing martial arts to have at it.
His opinion is we need to enjoy life, do what we like, and if needed, he'll slip a revision in there and scoot us back out.
You can't keep the ole heart healthy sitting around in the recliner with the t.v. control.
 
Excellent post, Doug! My thoughts exactly! :thumb:
 
Saw this link in my news this morning, thought it might be quite relavent. I find it really interesting that I'm in the group that tripled the number of replacements in the last 10 years... Boomeritis.
 
I love this discussion. For my part, I am 46. For the last 8 years, I have become less and less active and really didn't realize how much until now. I have survived off cortisone shots and a knee brace. My knee doctor would always advise that I put off knee replacement until I'm older and reminded me that there would be things I wouldn't be able to do if I had it replaced. As my children reminded me recently, I had already stopped doing most activities because of my knee.

After moving to a new state, and getting a new knee doctor, I am now having my right knee replaced.

I used to be a runner and I loved it. I also love playing volleyball. I don't know if I will run again, but it will certainly be nice to be able to chase down my dog if I need to without paying for it in days of pain. Actually, at this point I'd be happy to be able to walk my dogs!

My plan is to do what I enjoy and what I can handle. After 8 years of not doing things, I am not going to spend any more time avoiding normal healthy activities because of fear.

I agree that people are going to do what they want to. I want to spend time being active with my family at least while my kids are still at home. :thumb:
 
What an interesting form - a revelation of philosophy of life and personality. Just before I read all the posts, I read an article from a link on this site on activities to avoid in order not to damage the implant and was dismayed -and rather shocked - to see kneeling included. Does anyone have information about this? I love to garden and do yoga and one of my recovery aims has been to be able to achieve the child pose in yoga which requires you to sit back on your heels. Is anyone out there able to do that with a tkr?
Ahmo
 
Heaps of us! I garden and Jamie builds decks and so on! It's an old philosophy, Armo. No longer applies.
 
Yep....we have a whole group of BoneSmarties who can kneel, sit on their heels, and just be flexible in general. It may require some effort on your part to slowly stretch and adjust your body to the activity. But your implant shouldn't hold you back.
 
Hurray for we can get back to all the fun activities, I was planning to leave trekking forever, but now I realized I can do it for ever. But of course I would have to start slowly and gradually. I would start with brisk walk and cycling.
 
Okay, well here's something a little different.... I have been a participant in a relatively new sport commonly referred to as "bocking" or "powerbocking", which incorporates fiberglass shock absorbing springs strapped to one's legs -- giving a person the super-human ability to run up to 23 mph and jump 9 ft high. The springs softened the impact on my tender knees for years and had allowing me to continue with running/jumping cardio workouts (along with knee braces for added protection) until my OA progressed to the point 2 years ago where my knees couldn't even take the soft impacts anymore. My knee surgeon has given me a preliminary okay to return to this fun activity after I fully recover from my bilateral TKRs. The bocking experience is very similar to jumping on a trampoline or diving pool spring board.

Interestingly, NASA actually conducted a study in 1979 comparing joint impact while jumping on a trampoline versus jumping on the ground. The study concluded that, while ground jumping impact was mostly absorbed by the lower joints of the body like ankles and knees, the smooth deceleration G-force of of a trampoline allowed the force to be distributed and absorbed more evenly throughout the body. This suggests that trampolining (as well as bocking) is a safe post-TKR cardio activity. Many of the small trampoline (a.k.a. rebounder) sellers refer to this study to hype the benefits of their product and a brief synopsis of NASA's study can be found on a number of rebounder/trampoline selling sites.

For those interested in seeing what "bocking" is all about, check out this video: Video-1

The product is sold under various brand names like "Poweriser", "Air-Trekkers", and "Powerskips".

I intend to return to bocking next summer. I still have bocking dreams at night. And, yes.. at 58 it's a challenge keeping up with the 20-year olds but I do my best. LOL
 
Puts me in the mind of Oscar Pistorius, often referred to as the Blade Runner!

[Bonesmart.org] Knee Replacements Not Harmed by Most Sports
 
I might have to look into those. I spent as much on a Rollerblades in years past...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom