Knee Replacements Not Harmed by Most Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pair usually runs between $399-$499, depending on the brand, spring and cuff type. They are available in both U.S. and Europe markets. Feel free to private message me with any questions. I don't sell them but can point you to the various models.
 
I kneel all the time now. No problem at all. It took me two years to get over the "gross" feeling which was probably all mental.
I also work out six days a week.
My feeling is that if the knee fails, get it fixed and go back at it.
Besides, one can live with a bum knee but we do have to keep the "ole Ticker" going don't we?
 
Actually, how in shape and active you are is more a factor when it comes to bocking than is age. For those interested reducing ground impact while jogging, you should check out a product called Kango Shoes.
 
I also follow the advice of my OS who told me that skiing was a great activity after a tkr. I think it would be difficult to learn to ski since there is a great deal of falling down--but I am an expert skier and my doc agrees that I cause less torque to my knees with the techniques that I use.

It is funny to me, but all docs recommend golf--and that is the activity that causes the most amount of knee swelling in me. Probably poor technique!!

I accept whatever other people are doing with their knees----and assume that they are okay with my activities!! This is one place where each person makes his/her own decision---with or without their doc's opinion. Is one more right than another? Who knows and really, who cares.

I am an antsy person who hikes, bikes, skis, cross country skis and exercises at the gym. I also do a lot of dancing--now into Zumba and, of course, yoga. That is just my personality and love of movement. I think it is important not to worry about what others are doing--but, just to enjoy your new knees in whatever way works for you. For me, it is full speed ahead!! Kelly
 
Well, I hate to put a bit of a damper on this topic - knee replacement should last a lifetime provided you treat it carefully. And that means no contact sports. 10% failure at 10 years is what NICE and the NHS Supplies Agency require. However, it is now recognised that knee repllacement is as good as if not better at survival than hip replacement.
 
'Lifetime' is a very debatable word in this context, Bob. What it means to the likes of you and I is vastly different to what it means to someone in their 40s, 30s or even 20s. Yes, we've had 20yr olds on here who've had knee replacements. But no-one would try to suggest their replacements will last a life time under any circumstances. Never the less, the results of this study (you did read it, I trust?) were that the revision will occur at approximately the same stage as if they had never engaged in the sports of their choice.

Obviously, no-one is going to suggest or encourage them to engage in Taekwondo or anything but people will engage in their favoured sports because without them, their life frankly isn't worth living.

But you are right - knee replacements do seem to be outstripping hip replacements in their longevity which is very encouraging considering that, at the Great Debate in London last January, many noted hip surgeons were confidently referring to the 'forever' hip! :yahoo:
 
My thoughts exactly.............right on the money and it's why i decided to go ahead with surgery!
RNTWINS
Nov 3, 2011
RTKR
 
Glad to see posts from active folks. I plan on skiing, but am going to try to limit and hard side to side banging that could lead to excessive wear. I did buy a pair of softer skis and new boots. If I do fall, I sure hope the pain of overbending will not discourage me. Thank you so much for helpful information
 
I read the article, it's positive, especially for younger crowd.

I got JRA at ten and now I'm 31, had LTKR Sep12 2011 & getting RTKR Dec12 2011. I was very athletic up until then (10) and I would like to get athletic!

Now in general, unlike before, the disease is controlled.

When over all TKR etc., I would LOVE to get into speed walking, maybe a lil jogging/running...... I have Stryker Triathalon, and I will get that in next knee too this Dec.....

So, if I make that a goal for 2012..... am I safe? When I ask the OS.... it's basically no high impact advised. But if I was to do a little to keep fit....
anybody have tips?? Tips that a person with TKR would need......

Onwards and upwards
a
 
Well, he has to say that to protect himself but really it depends! It depends how desperately you want to do the athletics thing and how often and intensive you are going to do it. These devices last years and years provided nothing untoward occurs but the more you use it, the more risks you run of it loosening. On the other hand, who knows what tomorrow will bring?

It very much has to be a personal decision. Sure you can do anything you want to now but may be a price to pay down the line. However, do you really want to spend your life now in fear of what might happen in 15 or 20 years time?
 
You are dead right!! I guess it's like all good things in life..... everything in moderation! Thanks for great website.... it really helped me get through my TKR and I'm sure it will help the next one too. Thank you
:)
 
Tykey,

As long as there is a 10% failure rate---why not have fun with it as long as possible!! It certainly does not make me want to be conservative. If my knee fails after 10 years of great skiing, I will feel a lot better than if it fails after 10 years of trying to "save" it.

Just in general, we do not know what life holds for us--my choice, always, is to live the day I have to the fullest and the funnest!! So far, I don't have any regrets or any feelings that I want to change that attitude. Kelly

I agree with you we should have more physical activity and enjoy our life. More physical activity as skiing also gives strength to our knee.
 
Glad to see posts from active folks. I plan on skiing, but am going to try to limit and hard side to side banging that could lead to excessive wear. I did buy a pair of softer skis and new boots. If I do fall, I sure hope the pain of overbending will not discourage me. Thank you so much for helpful information

My knee problems started from skiing with bindings too tight over 20 years ago. (torn ACL on double black).
I so much want to get back to skiing and intend to try this winter. But you can bet I'll be cussing the bindings being too loose this time. Better safe then sorry. That snow is a lot softer than banging down the slope with that stick still attached. :tantrum2:
 
I agree, I usually set my bindings on my teaching/carving skis at 5 and I keep my powder skis at 6---both of which are fairly loose for me, but I would rather have the ski come off. Kelly
 
I know this is a really stupid question but .... what are bindings exactly? First time I heard the term was in a David Soul film "Swan Song" and I have never been able to figure out exactly what they were. I know they must be part of the boot or something ..... :scratch:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom