Revision TKR Knee replacement is not nice to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Coachie,

I have flared up bursitis in my knee by doing the breast stroke and my pt said not to do it.
I got a small kick board to work on my kicks and I am going to buy a noodle to the the bike on. Sometimes I tread water for exercise but my pt said to be careful cause I might get the bursitis again.
I do practice walking in the pool as well.

Good luck as you continue to recover.
Minnie
 
I use a noodle to bicycle in the pool. I also walk laps using the noodle for resistance I push the noodle down with both hands holding it about thigh height as I walk, it forces me to move slower and correct my balance. After about 10 laps I walk without the noodle. I couldn't breaststroke to save my life but I do laps on my back and side stroke. After an hour when I climb out of the pool my legs feel like huge old iron anchors. Slow and steady as you go!
 
I'm a lap swimmer (and will be again once I heal from the recent surgery!) Do you wear flippers? Otherwise known as "shorties"? They are flippers that are very short at the end by your toes - like maybe 1" in length. They not only help with the kick (I've always had a weak kick), but they also help to keep your legs up higher in the water behind you. See if the pool has some you could try out. They might be just the ticket!

Good luck!
 
Wow- seems like I'm on here a lot lately...

I just started swimming again, and have been swimming quite a bit. This increased activity is probably the answer to the questions I am going to ask, but I just want to make sure.

I have had a lot of pain on the inside of my knee and I figured that was from the breaststroke kick, so I slowed that down. I haven't done any vigorous swimming since last Wednesday. I did swim some on Saturday, but went slowly and did some easy kicking, strokes without kicking, etc.

Yesterday I noticed my knee hurting a lot more. It still hurts on that lower inside area, but also right around the tibial plateau area. When I step, it twinges. Both yesterday and today it gave out on me while walking. I grabbed the wall yesterday to keep myself up, and today I grabbed a desk in my classroom to avoid falling. It hurts right now- achy and stiff- as it has for almost a week now.

I never got rid of the pain behind my knee either. Am I just having normal reactions to a new exercise plan or should it be hurting like this?
I am almost 9 months out from my revision and 2 years from the original tkr.
 
I posted over a month ago and didn't get any answers, so will try again.
My knee revision was almost 10 months ago. I am still having a lot of pain.
My knee hurts when I stand up; hurts when I bend it; hurts when I straighten it; hurts when I am just sitting. Sometimes (like right now) it just aches and aches. My muscles all around my knee hurt as well- especially in the calf and behind the knee. I've had a few episodes of my knee giving out on me and that is not only scary, but will hurt afterward. My knee is also swollen- I have quite a squishy "lump" to the lower right of the knee cap when my knee is bent that I know is just swelling and probably excess fluid or something.
I see my orthopedist on August 2nd, but didn't know if any of you had any ideas between now and then about what it could be. Is it "normal" for me to still have pain and swelling at 10 months post-op?
Thanks in case anyone reads this or responds.
 
Hey Coachie! I'm sorry that the revision isn't doing as well as you had hoped. Yes, it is normal to have some pain, stiffness and fluid, even after 10 months. Sometimes, one or more just doesn't go away. We hope all the "abnormal" symptoms will be fixed with surgery, but often, they are not completely. I would suggest making an appointment with a physical therapist and have them evaluate how you are walking. The muscle aches and pains may have to do with your gait. The "sqishy" lump is, as you say, probably excess fluid build-up, which comes and goes. What type of pain are you having? Is it an "ache", or a sharp pain, dull or throbbing? Being able to describe the "pain" is a big help in determining what may or may not be going on. Are you taking any mild pain meds or anti-inflammatories at this time? I am taking Naproxen, and it helps with the mild pain I have every day, and with the swelling and fluid build-up. How is your range of motion? What degrees are you at? .....When your knee "gives out", do you mean the joint itself lets go, or the muscles around it fatigue? I'll help you all I can! ~Audrey~
 
Hi Coachie,
I am ten months out from my primary TKR and still have pain and swelling.
I will tag Josephine; for you.
 
] What type of pain are you having? Is it an "ache", or a sharp pain, dull or throbbing? Being able to describe the "pain" is a big help in determining what may or may not be going on. Are you taking any mild pain meds or anti-inflammatories at this time? I am taking Naproxen, and it helps with the mild pain I have every day, and with the swelling and fluid build-up. How is your range of motion? What degrees are you at? .....When your knee "gives out", do you mean the joint itself lets go, or the muscles around it fatigue? I'll help you all I can! ~Audrey~

The pain is almost constant. It is a stabbing pain when I stand, walk, etc., and achy when I am sitting. It frustrates me that it hurts all the time and that I don't ever have any pain-free days with this knee, nor have I in over two years :(
My left tkr doesn't hurt at all and didn't hurt like this at 10 months out.
I do have an appointment with my primary care physician tomorrow, so she could possibly give me a referral for PT (otherwise my insurance won't cover it at all) to see if I just need some work on strengthening muscles and such.
My last measurements were maybe 120 degrees bend and I was a few degrees shy of zero for extension.
When I say the knee gives out, I am not sure what happens. I will just be walking and it will just sort of "collapse" on me. I'm thinking it's probably muscle related.
All I have for pain is the occasional Tylenol. I am allergic to anti-inflammatories and never had anything else anyway. Last year I had a major battle trying to get some pain relief before they realized my knee cap was loose, so I don't want to play that game again.
I hate coming on here and complaining as it seems like that's all I've done on here- find one bad thing to complain about after another and not look at the positives. It is just frustrating to me as I am so tired of acting like it doesn't hurt.
 
Coachie, I'm guessing your knee is fine mechanically. There are a number of soft tissue things that can be off. I have soft tissue problems but little pain. There are also pain syndromes that seem to haunt some people.

It sounds like you have some synovitis, and I don't think at your juncture that would be completely normal. It's just something I guess your ortho will have to sort out with you. You could search on plica syndrome, one of the soft tissue problems that can occur. Sorry you can't seem to cross the TKR finish line!!
 
I hate coming on here and complaining as it seems like that's all I've done on here - find one bad thing to complain about after another and not look at the positives. It is just frustrating to me as I am so tired of acting like it doesn't hurt.
Coachie, I really hope nobody ever feels like they have to act like there's nothing wrong on here else we are failing in our objective. BoneSmart is all about dealing with things as they are, so please don't ever feel like that.
When I say the knee gives out, I am not sure what happens. I will just be walking and it will just sort of "collapse" on me. I'm thinking it's probably muscle related. I do have an appointment with my primary care physician tomorrow, so she could possibly give me a referral for PT (otherwise my insurance won't cover it at all) to see if I just need some work on strengthening muscles and such.
I would suggest that it's definitely not something 'muscle related' nor that PT would resolve anything. PT rarely resolves a painful situation such as you have described.
The pain is almost constant. It is a stabbing pain when I stand, walk, etc., and achy when I am sitting. It frustrates me that it hurts all the time and that I don't ever have any pain-free days with this knee, nor have I in over two years :(
That's what is concerning me - that you are in constant pain that doesn't even let up when you are sitting. I'm sorry I've not kept up with your posts but can you tell me about your revision? Was it for loosening or what? I think you need to get an opinion from a revision surgeon.
All I have for pain is the occasional Tylenol. Last year I had a major battle trying to get some pain relief before they realized my knee cap was loose, so I don't want to play that game again.
"occasional" Tylenol?
How often are you taking it?
How much are you taking - one regular Tylenol at a time?
 
Coachie, I really hope nobody ever feels like they have to act like there's nothing wrong on here else we are failing in our objective. BoneSmart is all about dealing with things as they are, so please don't ever feel like that.
I would suggest that it's definitely not something 'muscle related' nor that PT would resolve anything. PT rarely resolves a painful situation such as you have described.
That's what is concerning me - that you are in constant pain that doesn't even let up when you are sitting. I'm sorry I've not kept up with your posts but can you tell me about your revision? Was it for loosening or what? I think you need to get an opinion from a revision surgeon.
"occasional" Tylenol?
How often are you taking it?
How much are you taking - one regular Tylenol at a time?

I will take 2 500 mgs of Tylenol at a time and take it every 6 hours or so. I don't always take it as it really doesn't do a whole lot now.
My revision was knee cap related. I had a cement-less replacement in both knees. My right knee cap never stuck so my new surgeon removed it and cemented a new one in. He also released my Popliteus tendon- though I think that is what still bothers me now.
 
Coachie said:
I will take 2 500 mgs of Tylenol at a time and take it every 6 hours or so. I don't always take it as it really doesn't do a whole lot now.
My revision was knee cap related. I had a cement-less replacement in both knees. My right knee cap never stuck so my new surgeon removed it and cemented a new one in. He also released my Popliteus tendon- though I think that is what still bothers me now.

You are taking too much tylenol! 4000 mg per 24 hours is the max. The issue with it is your liver. I'm sure Josephine will expound on this!
 
That isn't exceeding 4,000 mgs. 2 500 mg tablets is 1,000 mgs. Every 6 hours could be 4 times a day if I bothered to take them at night (which I don't) and 1,000 times 4 is 4,000 mgs.
However, I might take them twice a day, which means I am only taking 2,000 mgs or so a day at the most.
Not sure if you misread my post or what, but I am NOT taking too much Tylenol.
 
Coachie said:
That isn't exceeding 4,000 mgs. 2 500 mg tablets is 1,000 mgs. Every 6 hours could be 4 times a day if I bothered to take them at night (which I don't) and 1,000 times 4 is 4,000 mgs.
However, I might take them twice a day, which means I am only taking 2,000 mgs or so a day at the most.
Not sure if you misread my post or what, but I am NOT taking too much Tylenol.

I AM confused! Mg is milligram and Mgs is milligrams, the plural, although not needed. The same and equal. Are you sure you don't mean mcg, micro grams? Or there is another designation I'm not familiar with? I'm all ears! LOL!
 
I AM confused! Mg is milligram and Mgs is milligrams, the plural, although not needed. The same and equal. Are you sure you don't mean mcg, micro grams? Or there is another designation I'm not familiar with? I'm all ears! LOL!

I think the confusion is with the way Coachie is writing the numbers. She's writing 2 500mg, which you (and I at first) interpret as 2,500 mg. However, I think Coachie means 2 x 500 mg.
 
Coachie, your tylenol use is fine. Although "they" now recommend a max of 650 mg per dose and 3,000 mg a day. Still, I bet it's not really getting the job done. [sigh]. Gee, still another 2 weeks before you see your ortho. Can you get on his cancellation list? Also has voltaren (topical NSAID) been tried or does that cause a problem for you as well? Someone needs to invent some new pain drugs!!
 
Celle said:
I think the confusion is with the way Coachie is writing the numbers. She's writing 2 500mg, which you (and I at first) interpret as 2,500 mg. However, I think Coachie means 2 x 500 mg.

Oh, that makes all the difference! Lol! My eye was seeing 2500, but you are right, there is a space in there. Whew! I was worried for the liver there for a minute! Sorry Coachie!
 
I AM confused! Mg is milligram and Mgs is milligrams, the plural, although not needed. The same and equal. Are you sure you don't mean mcg, micro grams? Or there is another designation I'm not familiar with? I'm all ears! LOL!

It's got to be the way you are reading it. I take two 500 mg tablets which means I am taking 1000 mgs.
I should have written the word two instead of putting it in front of the 500 as I guess it does look like 2,500 even though there is no comma there to separate the number in the thousands place from the hundreds place.
In other words, I am only taking maybe 2,000 mgs of Tylenol a day. Not 2,500 all at once...
Sorry for the confusion.
 
I met a woman the other day who had a knee replacement done about a year ago.
As we talked about our experiences, it felt like she was trying to "one-up" me with her replacement issues as she kept talking about all these little things that she had wrong. Then she started talking about back issues, headaches, heart issues, etc. I felt bad that she had been through so much until I talked to her sister...
Her sister informed me that this woman is always talking about how sick she is or how bad her knee is or whatever; and their family realized that it seems like she only brings up these "issues" when the subject is changed or if the attention is not on her.
She said that they think that she WANTS her knee to be bad and they have actually seen her intentionally twisting it or damaging it and such. I guess that after her knee surgery she would be having a good day (recovery wise) and she would either be jealous of other attention or something else would be going on, so she would do something to herself to get the attention- like poke it with needles or push the kneecap off to one side, etc. She seems to like to be sick and wants to have to have surgery after surgery.
Her sister said they all think she has something called "Munchausen Syndrome" and they are hoping to get her to therapy or something- though they can't force her to because she doesn't think there is anything wrong with her mental state.
Has anyone ever heard of this? The sister wasn't sure what to even think anymore and was unsure of what to do.
Thanks.
 
I have heard of it. It is a very real mental problem, really. There have been some very sad cases where mothers poison their children to keep them chronically sick for the attention they crave from the doctors and such. Sad.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom