TKR KMLknee's Second TKR Recovery

“Only” 0/114 is actually fabulous for 3 weeks post op. Many would be thrilled with that instead of living with it.

Try not to worry or be discouraged if that number goes up and down, activity can affect swelling which will affect ROM.
 
Wow. That’s fantastic news and is very encouraging. I’m heading into post-op week 4!
 
Hello all. I'm laying here awake and in pain at 6am. It's 5 weeks post op. Overall I'm doing really well. My ROM is great at 0-125°. But for some reason, I've been in pain since Sunday. Today is Friday. My pain medicine is no longer really effective so I'm mostly taking extra strength tylenol. When I walk, the level of "clunking" far outweighs my previous knee that was done the end of May. It seems like the clicking and clunking actually makes the pain worse. The clunking didn't just start but it did just start hurting to walk just a few days ago. I see my surgeon for my next follow up visit next week.

Right now I'm a little angry. My mother who is 81 lives in assisted living. They are allowing her to leave the facility for the first time since March. I am taking her this afternoon to finally get her hair cut. I told her on the phone last night that I was really hurting and that we would have to go there and straight back because too much walking really hurts. She said and I quote " I have to go to Walgreens you can sit in the car and wait for me. And also the dollar tree around the corner from there, again, you can sit in the car. Then you can take me home." Keep in mind that my husband and I, or my son go to the grocery, Walgreens, and run any other needed errands for her every week. I understand that she hasn't been out for over 6 months but I feel like she's being inconsiderate of the fact that I am in pain. She walks with a walker and moves very slowly. Much slower than myself and I'm still pretty slow since surgery. I know that her 1.5 hour hair appointment is going to turn into a 3.5 hour trip that I'm just not up for. Since I am driving I won't be able to take anything strong for pain and sitting in that position with my leg bent for that length of time is excruciating. My husband isn't going to be available to help me and my son will be working. I feel awful for being upset but I'm in pain right now even with my knee elevated and iced. I am having major anxiety about what I'm going to feel like later today. I don't expect any answers, I just need to vent. Thanks for listening.
 
At the very least, while waiting in the car, can you sit in the back and put your leg up? I agree, knee bent and foot on the floor at this stage is going to do you in.

If it was me, I’d either ask someone else to take her, or just cancel. It could take days for you to recover from this outing. I really think your physical condition is more important than taking your mother to this particular outing. I don’t think it is selfish in this instance to put yourself first.
 
@Jockette Unfortunately there is no one else. I've decided to take her to get her hair done because it's been 6 months since it's been cut and she looks awful. But I am going to have my son go to Walgreens and the Dollar Tree for her this weekend because I just can't do that. It's too much.
 
I agree with Jockette. Your knee's healing is more important than your mom having her hair cut and your running her around here and there. Good idea to have your son take her this weekend. Stick to your guns and don't let her talk you into anything else but the hair cut!

As for your added pain, it's good that you're seeing your doctor next week. In the meantime ice and elevate as much as you can. Something has angered your knee and you need to get that anger soothed.
 
All I can say is take some ice with you in the car and salon when you take your Mom. Great idea having someone else do the other errands. I hope your knee settles down soon.
 
You came up with a good compromise. It can be hard to say “I’m not ready for that yet,” but I believe you made the right decision. We’re the only ones who know how our new knee really feels and how it reacts to more activity than it can handle. Best wishes to you!
 
Well guys, I got home from taking mom to her hair appt 6.5 hours after I left the house today. She said over and over again "I'm sorry you are hurting but I really appreciate you" and then she would ask me to stop somewhere else. I told her my son would go to the store for her tomorrow and she replied " well that's stupid when we are right here and it won't take me very long". How do you just say no? So I didn't and it took 6.5 hours. OMG I will not be doing that again. She had a good day and got everything she wanted/needed and I'm glad she was able to get out. I am sitting here with my leg up on 3 pillows, ice machine running and took two tylenol 3 because my Percocets no longer work. I just want to cry. I tried to say no but she just wasn't having it. I think I earned a few more feathers for my wings in heaven.
 
I'm surprised they don't have an in house hairdresser at the assisted living. Sorry you had such a hard day... :console2:
 
Wow. You certainly earned more than a couple of feathers! I hope your pain finally gets under control soon.
 
@Dizzy they did have an in house hairdresser until Covid, and then it has just been essential employees. However, it didn't matter. She will only go to her hairdresser. My mother is something else.
 
It is hard to say no to one's mother. I hope you can rest this week end and recover from all the activity.
 
Hey KMLknee. I've been following your progress as I also have had two knees done about 3 months apart. Now, I see we have something else in common - stubborn mothers! I'm rooting for you on your knee recovery and parent management.
 
@Bikeknit Lol, parent management, that's funny. She called today to thank me again and to apologise for having me "do too much". I'm glad I was able to take her, she really enjoyed getting out. Last night was rough, but today I'm in less pain than I expected. Manageable with Tylenol. Still a little swelling so icing all day but I will live.
 
@KMLknee , one of the first things I noticed with my first knee was my recovery from over working my knee seemed faster as I healed. In other words, I bounced back quicker. It is nice not to have to pay the price for over activity for days and days.
 
@Starsfan22 I'll be glad when I get there. It's getting a little easier though. Send to take a two days instead of 4. Lol
But it's cool and raining here today so now they both hurt. I thought maybe after surgery the weather related pain would get better. I guess not. :bawl:
 
But it's cool and raining here today so now they both hurt. I thought maybe after surgery the weather related pain would get better. I guess not.
It does get much better. But, that takes time, too. The only time weather affects my new knee is when there is something really bad coming that causes a quick drop in the barometric pressure. Then, my knee pains for only about a minute, letting me know that it has had 6 knee surgeries! Before the surgery, it would hurt for hours and sometimes days when the weather changed.
 
Hello all. I just wanted to check in. Overall I am doing great. Not sure if my exact numbers as one therapist measured me at 0/125° in left knee (newest) and 9/120° on the right. While a newer therapist measured me at 0/116 in the left and 0/125 on the right. First therapist is Doctor of PT so I trust her numbers more.
I'm still struggling with pain in the left knee but swelling is much improved. All out of pain meds so just Tylenol and Aleve at this point and ice when that doesn't help. I see surgeon for my 6 week follow up tomorrow. I do have a question though. It seems that my posture has changed after knees replaced. I feel like most of my weight is in the balls of my feet instead of in my heels and that I'm leaning forward kinda like a forward slash mark /, probably not that exaggerated but still. Dirt if feels like I'm gonna fall backward if I lean back into my heels. I tend to lock my knees when I stand which puts a lot of stress in my quads. I think I was slightly hyper extended by 2-3 °. I don't know if that's it or what. Has anyone else experienced that? Also my stride is much shorter no matter what I do.
 
You’ve got to work on your stride going from heel through toes. That way you can work on increasing your length of stride. If you are feeling unsteady trying to do this use your walker to practice the stride at first. This will help you feel a little more secure. You might then be able to use a cane and progress to walking that way without any aids.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom