Guest viewing is limited

TKR kmak's TKR recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Jockette & @liam2015. Jockette: i’m sorry you are still struggling in recovery. I hope you will turn a corner soon. It is great for kids to learn to ski or do other activities so young. They will be able to participate for a lifetime. I surely was not prepared for the length of this recovery.
 
Does anyone know if it is ok to get the shingles vaccine before or after TKR - I'd like to get the new vaccine which requires 2 shots (2-6 months apart) and I am planning on my 2nd TKR in late July.
 
Yes, of course it's okay. Just leave about 6 weeks before but after doesn't really matter.
 
11 month Kneeversary today! Slight improvement over month 10 in that I am noticing the knee less and less (though I still notice it every day). ROM remains the same - flexion less than the other knee and extension better. I can do all the activities I enjoy and am still working on stamina, quad strength, and balancing on that leg. I am making plans to have knee #2 done at toward the end of July. My shoulder has been acting up but it's just going to have to get in the queue behind knee #2. I have my annual hockey tournament in Florida in a couple of weeks, and am training for a 60 mile road bike ride in early June. I go to spin class twice a week, lift weights and walk the other days and am doing some rides outside as the weather allows. I've done some weekend hiking - nothing more than 3 miles so far but know I can go longer as I did 5-6 mile hikes last fall. I've made my 1 year follow-up appt with my OS and am curious what he thinks and what the x-rays show. Still some tendonitis in the medial area of the knee but it's better than it was a couple of months ago. All in all doing well at the 11 month mark.
 
Hello, almost knee-twin! I'm at 11 months today, too. It's a pretty good place to be --far better than being at two weeks-- and everything you say hits home. Like not thinking about the knee too much and doing all the activities you enjoy. That 60 mile road bike ride sounds amazing! As the weather improves, I can see you riding your bike outside lots more. Wishing you well in your hockey tournament! (It still blows my mind that you play hockey with that new knee. :wow: )
 
Thanks @SusieShoes. I was quite tentative when I first started back skating but have taken a few falls which were no problem with all the padding so now I don't really think about it. I don't know how many more years I'll play but the Florida tournament is fun as we are all over the age of 60. Probably lots of implants out there on the ice. The men have an over 75 division!!!
 
i am also amazed that you can skate so soon ~ that takes a lot of guts to even try! i skated just before my surgery but had to rent hockey skates as mice pooped in my figure skates that i left in the garage lol. i found out that it's a lot different skating on hockey skates and had to stay close to the boards. i would love to try again though. good for you and good luck at your tournament in florida. i'm impressed at your dedication to fitness and participating in so many activities. you can be happy that your knee replacement was a success ~ you'll know what to expect for your 2nd knee replacement and hopefully it will go as well as your first.:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Liam. I like being active which is why I needed (and need the TKR's). I am less nervous about #2 but wish I had kept better notes - though I do have my BS diary - and I did keep a diary of my meds. I have to stop weightlifting for awhile as I have developed a sore shoulder . . . If you decide to go back to skating, get figure skates -- it takes quite awhile to learn to transition from one kind to the other. I grew up on figure skates and still don't skate quite as well on hockey skates.
 
Last edited:
One year Kneeversary for me today and I had my one year follow-up with the surgeon. Both he and I are quite pleased with the outcome. I do not have to return for follow-ups unless I am having an issue. I still have stiffness and swelling after standing for long periods or after heavy activity but no pain during activity or general arthritis pain and the medial (pes anserine) tendonitis has diminished significantly since adjusting my cycling cleats. I can do any activities I choose and have skied, played hockey and pickleball in the last three months, hiked, and am riding my road bike 80-100 miles a week. I learned from one of the surgeons on the JRAD webinar that those of us who are really active might take up to 2 years to feel totally "normal" so I guess I'm on the 2 year plan. I have no issues with general day to day activities, including stair climbing and descending. I was planning on #2 TKR in late July but have developed an impingement in my shoulder which I would like to get taken care of prior to #2 knee as it is more bothersome currently. My surgeon prescribed some exercises for a month and then we'll see if I need more follow up tests. All in all I am in a good place 1 year out. For you newbies, try not to compare yourself to others - each of us is on our own journey through recovery. Some more slow and scenic (and perhaps painful) than others. Be good to your new knee - don't force the healing or bending. Patience is your best friend during this recovery. I thought one year would never get here and now I might be looking at two -- and I'm ok with that. [Bonesmart.org] kmak's TKR recovery thread
 
Hello, almost knee-twin! It’s been quite a journey, and it’s great to read you are doing so well! I think you’re right that more active people might take a little longer to feel “back to normal,” because normal is so much more demanding.

I hope the shoulder impingement doesn’t involve a major surgery. It makes perfect sense that you would want to address that issue before having another TKR. Before TKR I would never have guessed how much I would need my upper body strength!

Your legs are looking good! :happydance:
 
Thanks @SusieShoes! I think it's interesting how my "righty" looks more crooked. We are hoping no surgery for the shoulder. Congrats to you on your kneeversary tomorrow! So glad to be at this place in recovery instead of where we were last year at this point.
 
Hello Smarties! I've been living life with LTKR #1 for 18 months and #2 TKR lurking in the future.:hiking::tennis2::treadmill: Well the future is here and I am having RTKR on 11/13. I have a shoulder problem that will likely need some surgery but my surgeon and I decided to take care of knee #2 first and put the shoulder in the queue for some future date. My date for #2 was also in jeopardy as I broke my arm at the end of August playing pickleball (tried to break my fall and protect my knees and broke my arm :yikes:). Well I got my cast off last week (luckily no surgery required) and we are hopeful that in a month the arm will be strong enough to provide support for TKR #2. With knee #1 I did not find BoneSmart until week #5. This time I will be smarter with the recovery from the get -go (I was seriously over-exercising!). I am less anxious knowing what to expect this time around and seriously want this to be over so I can on with the lonnnngggg, slowwwww, recovery. Cheers everyone :cheers:
 
Best wishes for Knee #2!! So sorry about your arm!
 
I'm sorry to hear you broke your arm and I hope it heals well.
Best wishes for getting your right knee replaced.
 
I’m glad your arm seems to be ready for knee #2. Even though it’s a long recovery isn’t nice to know ahead of time that you can take it easy during recovery?
 
Great that you have your right knee scheduled! Next year this time it will all be over with and you'll have a brand new life ahead of you! I haven't gotten up the courage to do my other one yet, so I admire you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom