TKR kmak's TKR recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Smarties! I had my two week follow up appt with the OS today - he removed the aquacell bandage, declared the wound to be in good shape, and released me from the TED socks. I may still wear one on my op leg as I like having the compression when I am up and about for any length of time. While he is encouraging me to get to 90 flexion soon I did not sense the urgency around it or the edict to be aggressive like he was with knee #1 - perhaps he is also learning and coming around to the "less is more" philosophy. I also had a good PT session today and surprisingly my extension is already close to zero - with knee #1 I did not achieve 0 extension for 6 months :yikes:. My PT reaffirmed what I've learned from this forum - that no two knees (even on the same person) heal or recover the same way. I have been cleared to do some gentle rocking and stretching on a stationary bike. I have a bike set up on a trainer in the house but my PT does not think it is stable enough or easy enough for me to get on and off safely at this point, so I will try to get out to my gym or to the PT clinic to use their stationary bikes a few times a week. All things considered, a good first couple of weeks --:yes!:-- now about that sleep deprivation. :mcoffee:
 
Hi 5 :ok:sounds like you are doing great, hope you manage to get some sleep soon, I am learning to live with 2-3hour blocks:)
 
Agreed on the short blocks of sleep. Occasionally I get a 5 hour block - woo hoo! Hope you are getting along ok.
 
Got to be the worst phase.....lack of sleep....for me it built up til 4-5 weeks til i thought 'stuff it' and pulled out the narcotics left over in the cupboard. ....like winning the lottery having 7 hrs straight....the whole world suddenly became color compared to black an white.
Keep on soldiering on @kmak81230 and @gecko
 
No two knees are alike, for sure! I argued with mine, because one was acing recovery and the other was... well, having a perfectly normal one that just seemed slow by comparison. You never know what kind of recovery a given knee will have. I’m so happy about your right knee being a champ for this TKR! :happydance:
 
agreed about the sleep @Kiwigirl62. Last night I dozed on and off (mostly off) until 4:30 am, then took a Tylenol PM and slept until 8:30 - still groggy and hoping for a couch nap today. The good news is that I am starting to be able to sleep on my side for bits . . I'll be glad to get through this phase of recovery. As I recall it lasted until about week 7 or 8 last time :bored:
 
Week 3 update: Doing well I think; more mobile and stable with walking - primarily using a cane with a need for the walker with longer walks as my quad gives way when tired ("the wobble"); I am rocking the pedals on a stationary bike for about 10 minutes 3 x day and trying to walk at least 1500 steps/day. Pain is minimal most of the day with some achiness at night or after a lot of activity. I still ice and elevate multiple hours a day. Drove for the first time yesterday - a mile back and forth to PT and a mile back and forth to work. I got a 3 month handicapped placard as we have a lot of snow and ice and it will allow me to park closer to buildings. I started back to work half-time yesterday - going in the afternoons so the ice has a chance to melt some (it was -12F here this morning). I have a desk job with lots of meetings and have the ability to ice and elevate as needed. Severe fatigue after work yesterday but I think I can manage it. Have had a couple of 6 hrs sleeps in the past week - yippee - it's still my biggest complaint. Probably 70-75 flexion with 2-3 extension. Seems like my recovery is going more smoothly this time around - I knew what to expect and I'm not exercising at home, aside from walking and rocking on the bike.
 
:wowspring:
Back to work and all that walking already?! That’s incredible!!! I send you happy healing vibes for continued progress and can’t wait to hear about all the little victories. You go!!!
 
@kmak81230
You've gone back to work very early! In view of that, I don't think you need to do any other exercising. Work is your exercise, even if you have a desk job.

Don't forget to get up and walk around every hour or so, so that your knee doesn't get too stiff.
 
I will be cautious @Celle. I have an ice machine at work and can also work from home more if I find it too much. I plan to walk every hour. I was getting stir crazy at home . . . bit of a workaholic (I was answering work emails from my hospital bed after surgery :oyvey:).
 
Just let your knee be the boss and you should be fine!
 
@kmak81230 wow working. ...you are eager. :tada:Hope you make it ok. I also got a fatigued first week at work but you are still in the twilight zone of sleepless night.:mcoffee:
Hope it works ok for you -i find hard to fit any formal exercise in during the work week:eeeuw:
 
Week 4 update: My first week back at work halftime went pretty well and I was also glad to have the weekend to rest. I am able to ice while at my desk and I get up to take a walk at least every hour. This week I am working 4-6 hours/day depending on my meeting schedule. I cancelled one of my PT appts this week as I am getting plenty of activity. I am feeling more stable getting around and primarily using a cane. I am also glad to have the temporary handicapped placard for the car as we currently have a lot of snow and ice. PT is going well - starting to work on balance and strengthening the glutes. I would guess that my ROM is currently between 75-90 with 2-3 extension, depending on the swelling. I have my 6 week follow-up appt with the OS in two weeks so am hoping to have 90 degrees more consistently by then. Sleeping is a tiny bit better -- probably a good night sleep (of 6 hours at a time) three to four nights a week. Today I was more achy -- perhaps because of a snowstorm moving through. If I compare to 19 month old knee #1 my emotional state is much better this time around - not stressing over the progress and taking it easy. Knee #1 balks a bit at the increased load (still have the numb, tight area on the lateral side and I notice the knee more in the past month). I've increased my step count to 2-3k per day and am still rocking on the stationary bike -- last time I made a full revolution at 6 weeks so probably will not do so any earlier this time. Glad to be at the end of week 4 instead of week 1 -- for you newbies, it does get better!
 
You go @kmak81230

:loveshwr:

I am so happy for you and can’t wait to hear the updates next week too. You give us all hope!
 
Thanks @traceys! Good week this past week. You never know what next week will bring but am glad to celebrate the small victories. Last time at this point I had not yet found BS and was miserable, crying, with a seriously inflamed and overworked knee. I hope you have a good week.

Just had a crappy night sleep so once again reminded that this is a long journey.
 
Week 5 Update: Nothing too exciting to report except slight improvement in sleep, in bendiness, and in stability. I rarely use my cane in the house, just using it for longer treks outside of the house and at work. I am currently averaging 3000 steps a day -- trying to increase by 500 each week. :walking:PT says I'm doing well though my bendiness is not quite 90 - hoping to get there by my 6 week OS appt next week. Also hoping to get a revolution on the stationary bike soon. I am working 6-8 hours a day with no ill effects. I ice at work when at my desk, walk every hour and elevate as I can. I look forward to a date with Dr. Lounge and the ice machine at lunch and each night after work. I am also looking forward to several days off next week to catch up on rest.:sleep: I can go up and down foot over foot on a 4" step (using railing) and almost up foot over foot on a 6" step. This week I have more moments of feeling like I'm making progress - YEAH!! This week I maneuvered into the hot tub - :happydance:, keeping my op leg out of the water, and wearing a sock and compression sleeve as the temps are frigid here --- icing my leg while the rest of me is warm! :SUNsmile:. For you newbies, it does get better ---- hang in there.
 
Last edited:
good for you. amazing you can go to work 6-8 hours a day. isn't it great having the knowledge and previous experience to get through this with confidence and the appropriate tools to recover with, not that i would wish this upon anyone. you are an inspiration. good luck at your 6 week appointment and enjoy those days off over the holidays.:reindeerlights::merryx:
 
Thanks @liam2015. As you know recovery is not linear - today I am a little achy so taking it easy. Yes, it is much easier mentally this time around as I know what to expect and don't get freaked out when I have a new ache or pain or if I regress a bit. Have a great holiday season :santa hug::reindeer:
 
Red Letter Day for me: over the past couple of days I have felt a little more bendy and a little less swollen. At PT this morning I was able to do a backwards pedal revolution for the first time and I got to 90 degrees flexion on my own --- what a nice pair of Christmas presents. With five days off work I expect I may even see more reduced swelling over the next week prior to my 6 week OS checkup! :happydance::dancy::spin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom