Guest viewing is limited

THR Kelly's Right Hip Recovery

@Hip4life I also love camping, last summer I camped in my Ford Escape with my two dogs across country to Montana and back---for 3 weeks. I did take one hotel room along the way!! I love being in nature and it is always fun to talk with the other campers---people in hotels do not even look at one another let alone speak!!

My daughter just bought an E bike and I am so excited to think of riding my bike again!! Last year I could not throw my leg over the saddle---I had to put the bike on the ground, straddle it and then lift the bike up!! embarassing. I just want to hop on the bike to go to the grocery store (I have a little cart behind which i use for dogs and groceries). Right now, of course, my goal is to walk all the way around the block about a half mile. small goals first!!!
 
@skigirl Jennifer and I plan to visit my friend Debra in Prior Lake and our friend Erin and her family in the Minneapolis area next summer. Of course we will also have to visit the home of Prince while we’re there. That will give me an opportunity to ride the carousel at Mall of America! Definitely added to my to-do list. I’ll have to check out the rabbit because I definitely want to go up and down. Strange things sometimes happen. One would be for us to arrive at the same time and both head for the rabbit. If we do, I will be glad to wait and ride after you. :)

When I worked in telecom in the mid-to-late 1990s, Minneapolis was one of the markets in which I worked.. I spent about 6 1/2 years on the road between 1995 and 2001. Jennifer was in college at the time, and I flew her to all the interesting places I worked. We went to museums and other noteworthy places. When I was in Minneapolis, the Mall of America was a must-go-to-see because Jennifer loved to shop. As for that, she still loves to shop. But the carousel will be my main destination in the Mall of America. As an aside, my friend Debra is the site acquisition specialist who negotiated and closed the deal with the Mall of America for its wireless network. That was quite an accomplishment.
 
Omg yes if you visit mall of America we can flip for the rabbit, I will be my twin granddaughters as cover for why grown women are riding!

I take the children there occasionally! My grandson and I have red hair and one of the girls has our neon white skin so indoor amusement park with no subsequent sunburn is a YES!
 
Today is po day 13! Today I woke up and without thinking strolled into the bathroom without even thinking of the crutch. I noticed that I was leaving it behind all day yesterday and had to go back for it several times!

I was so jealous of Wander03 who had friends invite her out to lunch!
Must have wished myself into an invitation cause a friend offered to take me out to lunch! I am so excited to leave the house.

So, at nearly two weeks I can stroll around without a crutch, I am going to walk all the way around my block which is a half mile! Everything is starting to look up!

My daughter has been after me to eat more and to my surprise I have lost 10 lbs since the surgery. Part of it is that I am a lazy cook. I eat yogurt for breakfast and formed the habit of eating y main meal at midday. Mostly out! Since I have been home I just eat cheese and crackers and since that is so boring I have not been hungry enough to cook! The microwave stuff I heat up and throw away after two bites. Ugh. I will be fine once I am mobile enough to eat out again. I lost 10 lbs after my left hip and it has been nice having loose clothing! But I am not into a new wardrobe so will have to eat myself back into my clothing!

I don’t mind living alone but eating alone is boring.my husband of 30 years died 5 years ago and my partner died last October 20, right after my hip replacement. I don’t usually eat meat and suddenly salads don’t taste right, even Nutella is not doing it for me these days! I have a piece of lemon blueberry bread on a saucer next to me. I have finished my coffee so will have to make more to eat the bread! I cannot throw it away since my daughter bought it for me! But first a shower!

I am rereading all the Darkover books of Marion Zimmerman Bradley this week! Last week I reread all of Louisa Mae Alcotts books! They were wonderful and I have loved Marmee from Little Women most of my life!
 
Wow! Two weeks already tomorrow. I’m sure it hasn’t flown for you, but then again maybe it has. Great news on your transitioning away from assistive devices. I hope you’ll carry your cane today though in case you suddenly feel the need for support or become unexpectedly fatigued. It will also signal others to keep their distance, giving you space.

If you’re not hungry, you’re not hungry and I’d say congrats on the weight loss, but it doesn’t sound like it was a goal of yours, or intentional. I certainly don’t need to lecture you on eating, but want to share some info I read either before, or right after my THR.
It is regard to protein. As we age it’s important to eat adequate amounts of protein. Following surgery your body needs a high amount of protein and iron. The amino acids in the protein help repair muscle damage by regenerating tissue and speeding up wound healing.

When you have time dig up that list I left somewhere on this thread, or your pre-op thread on protein ideas. You may find some more appealing than when you initially looked through it. And high protein snacks throughout the day may work better for you temporarily as opposed to full meals.

Enjoy your outing and meal with a friend!
@skigirl
 
Layla yes u
I totally agree on protein needs. Liz my daughter just brought in a bunch of protein drinks and a bag of walnuts, pecans and almonds. SO much easier to eat.
 
Today was two week check up. I was able to get a Lyft ride in and walk in with no crutches Yay!! The Doc said I am a good patient today---this from the man who talked about my fat pad with my last hip!!!

I feel really good today, but know that I am more fatigued than ususal and I do burn out faster than I think I will!!

One of my friends invited me out to lunch today and I am looking forward to getting out of the house!

The best news for me is today I realized that I have not had any bad pain since the surgery. I was starting to get twinges when I stood up or began walking which panicked me. I read on a Mayo website that if you have a flexible back it will flex if the hip is stiff. That is the sentence that made me schedule this surgery to ruin my summer!!! I think that Layla also had some back twinges before the hip surgery. I had forgotten about my back until the doc asked. It was then that I realized with great happiness that my back has not caused me a moment of concern since the hip surgery. For that, I am profoundly grateful.

So, at two weeks I can walk unaided for a mile---around my block which I began doing yesterday. I am going back to work on JUly 30---I work events and my boss assures me that I can have a chair. In our industry if you show up on time, are neatly dressed and can laugh a lot you are a valued employee!! I will be security for the MN United's farm team's games. Anything about soccer and I am there!!!!
 
I think that Layla also had some back twinges before the hip surgery.
YES! My back used to go out. I’d be crooked and couldn’t stand up straight and would have to contemplate my every move! At times it could take days to slowly ease out of one of these episodes, then I felt tentative for days afterward. This would happen at least once and sometimes more than once each year leading up to my THR. I was never diagnosed with any back problem, but back issues seem to run in my family, so I just assumed it was a “family thing”. One of the best surprises after my THR was that I haven’t had a bad back episode since then and fully believe those episodes were hip related. I had twinges and fatigue in my hip off and on for probably ten years before my THR. I don’t mean to highjack your thread, Kelly, but some may recognize this as common to them, or someone they know. My 40 yr old son has complained of back issues similar to mine for the last several years and I keep reminding him it may be his hip, but up until now he’s been unwilling to have it checked. Easy enough to ignore when we’re feeling good the majority of the time.

I’m glad your appointment went well. I’m sure you’re surgeon was impressed to see you without an assistive device. I do understand the fatigue, but also realize you have ants in your pants :heehee: to get back to life and living. Please don’t lose sight of the fact that your body has endured TWO major surgeries within months of one another, all in the same year. That’s a lot and you will be fatigued easily as your body uses energy to heal first, not leaving a lot for the rest of your daily activity. Listen to your body and give it what it needs.

Look upon these surgeries as an investment in your future. Take good care now and these new hips will serve you well for years to come.
Enjoy lunch with your friend!
@skigirl
 
Yesterday I took the dog for a walk, got tangled up in her leash and did the dreaded pivot as I turned, I was on my backside before I knew it! I quickly got up but I have a bruise on my left hip, right now it hurts more than my right!

Silly mistake, I was not even aware that I pivoted on that leg! Last time I hurt on the hip bone like this I was 11 years old and fell while roller skating!

On the plus side my friend took me to an eagle rescue that I did not know existed and I had a wonderful time. The doc told me that I can drive now which is a relief sibce I am stir crazy!
 
Oh my stars... @skigirl
Please, no falling!
You must share the ice with poor lefty.:ice:

Glad you are able to drive and get out a bit.
Hope today is a good day.:SUNsmile:
 
Ugh, some people’s kids! That be you, Kelly :wink: The poor dog can’t take you anywhere!
Tangling yourself up in his / her leash, embarrassing the dog because you can’t manage to stay on your feet, stalling his fun on the streets. :dogwalk: :rotfl:

Couldn't resist kidding with you. The fall isn’t funny and thankfully you’re okay, aside from feeling sore and sporting a bruise. Ice, Ice, Ice, consider taking a day of rest and
Feel Better Soon!
@skigirl
 
LoL@Layla. I jus got a lecture from my daughter too! I am a little sore but otherwise okay! I can drive again! It is so nice to just be able to drive to the bank when I want to do so!
 
@skigirl I know what a relief it is to be able to drive! Just knowing one can get in the vehicle and go somewhere at a moment’s notice is so freeing.

After my right THR, Dr. Bradshaw’s nurse said they suggest waiting until after six weeks to drive, but she did not prohibit my doing so once I was off opiod pain meds. So, since I took my last pain meds at 4PM on July 10, I’m planning to drive for the first time on the 19th for the one-year check-up on my right TKR. If Jennifer is here this weekend, she will probably want to ride along on a test run, but I’m quite sure I will be fine. After all, it’s my left hip and not directly involved in driving.

No more falls, please. :flwrysmile:
 
You’re so far ahead of me skigirl! I still haven’t gotten down on the ground and gotten back up again. I’m sorry you fell but how in the world did you get yourself back up? At only 2 weeks postop?

Also! I am just now driving again at 7 weeks but haven’t really had to go anywhere except appointments and hubby drives me!

I didn’t start walking my dog until recently because until recently, I wouldn’t have been able to bend down and pic up her dog poop!
 
@Zoebichon I can bend over and put my palms flat on the floor ( long arms!), so I just got up first with hands and feet flat, then stood up! I felt like an idiot, so I was up in 5 seconds with the hope that no one was looking!

I live alone, my husband died in 2017, so I have to drive myself to the bank so I have money for the dog walker! I work events like soccer games as security! I did work for six hours last night. I worked in the press box and discovered how great it was to talk soccer (I am a passionate fan, played soccer for 15 years and coached for many years)!

I was in a room with sports reporters and a ref from the US Soccer Assoc! The best buffet of my life as we analyzed every play!!!! I sat in a chair for most of the time, it was a playoff game for the new almost pro women’s team, I have worked all of their games! I just could not miss last night! But I am tired today, really tired it is 10 am and I am still in my bathrobe!!
 
Wow, sounds exciting, but I honestly don’t know how you do it. At two weeks post op, I don’t believe I had left the house yet, let alone go to work for six hours! Maybe today will be a day of rest? I guess I won’t count on it. It sounds like it’s something you have a passion for so it’s great you enjoyed. Now….go lie down! :heehee:
@skigirl
 
Wow, you are doing amazingly!! That evening does sound fabulous. Well worth being tired for the next day.

Not buffet!!! Evening
:heehee: I did wonder when I read “buffet” in your previous post, picturing the sports reporters chowing down on some sort of gourmet feast! In my case, it would be a Freudian slip, but you don’t seem to be a greedyguts like me, so I guess it must have been autocorrect gone utterly bonkers.
 
@Layla omgosh, I am so tired today, no problem with resting. But, after two weeks in the house, it was fun to be around soccer again. I was wondering if there was a team and now that my hips work, maybe I could play a little!! BUT I will wait six months before i do anything!!! I am going to ski this winter, so I am excited enough about that!!!
 
@skigirl You are absolutely amazing. To be so active at 2+ weeks post op surely is not the norm. You are certainly far ahead of me, but I plan to continue my slow and easy recovery and try not to be intimidated by your recovery progress. That shouldn’t be too difficult since my body is not even close to achieving the physical activity level you have achieved. For my hip, sitting on a regular chair for six hours would be absolute misery. It does not like to be anywhere except my lift chair for any extended period of time. When I ate lunch at the Mercy Orthopedic Hospital Cafe on Tuesday, I was extremely uncomfortable after a short time, even though I was sitting in a chair at at bar-height table. You are something else, girl. I’m impressed.
 
Back
Top Bottom