Guest viewing is limited

THR Kelly's Right Hip Recovery

Wow I am impressed @skigirl ! :wow: Walking unaided at 2 weeks, working for 6 hours at around 17 days, picking yourself up after tripping and falling, my, my!!!

Were you very fit before the operation? I do believe that if the muscles are strengthened (if it is possible, given that pain levels often prohibit exercises) the recovery is easier.

Take care and do keep on posting - your progress is encouraging!
 
I can't believe you fell and got back up at only 2 weeks, holy smoke, I would have been terrified. All my OS keeps saying is "don't fall." Like who wants to fall??? I didn't want to slip on ice and break my hip, didn't do it on purpose this is why they call it an accident.
Well good for you, try and take it easy and not overdo but we all recover at different rates, some fast some a little longer, no right or wrong.
All my best.
 
I was wondering if there was a team and now that my hips work, maybe I could play a little!! BUT I will wait six months before i do anything!!! I am going to ski this winter, so I am excited enough about that!!!
This is inspirational, Kelly. You’re not the norm, I mean that in a complementary way and as former colleagues, I realize that you know when I’m kidding around. I admire your courage and fortitude. I’m not as brave or adventuresome as you.
 
Kelly, you give us all hope and do it in a way that doesn't make us mere mortals feel like we are lacking in our recoveries.

You have such good energy and it's always fun to read your recovery threads.

Other members, be advised not to try this at home! :good-bad: (falling)
 
so, Yes, I have always been an athlete---of sorts not high powered!! ski instructor, hiking guide, but since I moved to Minnesota five years ago, I have slowed down and I am not as fit. I do pilates twice a week and water aerobics twice a week at my gym.

I do walk a couple miles plus each day with Little Girl, my corgi. and I play soccer with my grandkids and bike with them a fair amount.

This hip has been so easy---easier than my left hip I assure you. I had some nagging pains and stiffness at the Iliac crest and i think the scar healed stiff. I had to go to a scar massage therapist to get that thing softened up!!!Ouch by the way!!!

This hip--which had more pain the first day or so has settled right in and I am amazed myself. I did get it replaced before the nagging 24/7 tooth ache pain of the left hip---but my doc assures me that it was worn out and just as bad as the left one.

I used to read about people who were walking around at 2 weeks and think how? myself. So, yes, of course each person and each hip is different. One thing is that my legs feel totally even right now and last time I felt like the left one was a little long---but who knows!!! I get to work in the press box on Sunday for the Aurora's second play off game, so I am a happy camper!!! Doing secuity is funny---sometimes you find yourself in front of an obscure door in the bowels of the earth, other times you are dealing with the public, which is more fun, of course.

The press box is a primo spot and I am glad to have it, thanks to my hip I got an easy job!! yay!!
 
@myglasshalffull ; I loved your remark---who wants to fall!!! That is my reaction to "Don't fall" who knows when they are going to fall??? It just happens and hopefully it turns out that you only get a big bruise like I did--but who gives advice like "don't fall?"

It would be far more practical to tell people how to get up if they are unlucky enough to fall. I managed to fall on my left hip!! Yay and I had to put my hands flat on the pavement and shove my rear end up in the air like a baby to get up!! No one has mentioned it to me, so hopefully my neighbors were not watching!!! I got up as fast as I could and then could feel the big bruise and had to think about sitting down for a couple of days---but luckily no lingering effects!!! When I had a Dexa scan the technician told me that I had big bones---he said" i bet you have always weighed more than people think, right?" Of course I do---so I told him that I have waited all my life for someone to affirm this for me! I have big bones!! I think that does help---I fell multiple times a week when skiing, for instance!! I have learned to roll when I fall like a paratrooper so I rarely get hurt---but falls are falls. No one expects to break a hip but as my grandson's bib says, "Spit happens". I am glad you are recovering from such a traumatic event. At least medicine is there for us---I would have been a cripple without fake knees and hips!!!
 
Thankfully you just got a bruise.
I think I'm now being too cautious but I am doing everything other than walking the dogs, just don't want one to pull me and I go flying. So every once in awhile I throw caution to the wind and do a little extra! LOL!
Have a great weekend!
 
Today is the three mark for me!! I worked a soccer game last night--I only worked from noon to 6pm. I came home, sat in a chair while I drank a glass of water and woke up at 11:30, still in the chair!!! Obviously tired!!!

I am still glad I worked, the new woman's team, The Aurora won the second play off game and it was really a good game to watch. I got to sit in the Press box again and talk soccer for an hour and a half. I think I am so lucky to work around sports which is a passion for me.

My hip is stiff---I still feel like I can sort of feel it move, but it is not painful. I find that I am a little unsteady---I pivoted on my right foot without thinking and almost went down again---luckily a large man was standing next to me and I grabbed on to him!!

I am definitely tired, but it is exciting to walk around with no hip or back pain. I put my bike rack on my car---I am going to wait until four months to ride my bike, but I am excited to be on it again. MY daughter just bought an E bike and it looks like fun too, but I am still pedaling. I did put away my road bike and got a hybrid last year--it is carbon fibre and only weights nineteen pounds, which is easier for putting it only the bike rack!!

I hope the rest of you are healing along as well. I cannot wait to be past this fatigue and onto my normal energy level.
 
Happy Three Week Anniversary, Kelly!
I get nervous when I see you posted. I’m honestly afraid to read your updates. :heehee:
On one hand, I think it’s great how well you’re doing, but on the other hand I worry after hearing about the accidental pivot last night, and that you almost fell, I worry that if you did fall again this early on, would you be as lucky as you were the first time you fell? Basically, just getting back up and dusting yourself off.

I don’t believe there’s any stopping you, so all I can do is hope you stay on your feet, get enough rest and sleep, don’t go bungee jumping, parasailing or leaping tall buildings in a single bound and hopefully you’ll be okay. :fingersx: :praying:

A great week to you!
@skigirl
 
Tomorrow is four weeks for me and this is the time I grew impatient last time too!!!

I can walk around with no crutch but there is still a lot of rehab in front of me!! Most of the extreme fatigue is gone but I am still very tired at night!!

I have been working two days per week with sitting jobs. Last night I stood for two hours and it was way too much for me!! Today is a day of rest, I need to speak up to save myself!!

Now is the hard part for me, I need to work to bring my muscles back to life but not too hard !! I still have not been back to Pilates yet it is hard for me to lie on my side!! Ouch!

I am hopeful that when this rehab is done I can move without joint pain. Osteoarthritis is much more debilitating than people realize!!
 
Last night I stood for two hours and it was way too much for me!! Today is a day of rest, I need to speak up to save myself!!
I don’t know how you did this, Kelly. I do hope you will speak up in your defense, reminding whoever it is that you answer to that you’re recovering from major surgery. It’s good to hear you’ve taken a day of rest and that you’re feeling less fatigued overall.
I think sitting for any length of time can be miserable also early on. Hopefully you’re able to take breaks and walk a little in between sitting while on the job.
I hope you have a good week!
 
Layla sitting is not so difficult! I get up in the am make my bed and do not go in again until night. I just cannot see myself lying in bed during the day!! I have a chair with an ottoman and did put a couch cushion on it for elevation but I am so antsy I move around a lot!!
 
get up in the am make my bed and do not go in again until night. I just cannot see myself lying in bed during the day!
Same. I have always done this though. I am not a napper, never was, not even in my THR recovery, sometimes I wish I could take a nap….I just can’t. :groan:
 
Yes I have the same problem!!! Also I live alone and don’t have the luxury of waiting for something to happen unless I do it.

I dragged the laundry basket behind me to the laundry room, did three loads of laundry then hauled it back up two flights of stairs by putting the basket up two steps, step up to it, haul it up two steps then step up!!

I can fix meals load and run the dishwasher and even filled two yard bags with fallen leaves and twigs!! Love the reacher for twig pick up!! Then plop down in the chair and read for a while!! No times for naps!!!
 
You’re doing a lot, Kelly, but I guess if you’re used to being very active, it’s extremely difficult for you to sit around. I understand figuring out how to get the laundry done, doing the meal prep and clean-up and even gathering twigs with the grabber, but not sure about how you got the leaves in the bag without a lot of bending. Don’t know if I want to know either. :heehee:
 
Lol Layla!! I put the leaves in a rigid trash can I use for yard waste!! I have these big claw things and picked up the leaves with three waist bends!!! Good thing I had an anterior approach!

I also bought this large dust bin with a long handle, from Amazon someone on Bonesmart recommended it for feeding my dog! I can slide the dish in, then slide it out onto the floor. That is great for yard stuff, I can sweep in a large pile and then use the handle to pick it up. It is my favorite helping tool!!!!
 
Pretty resourceful of you, Kelly! :wink:
Where there’s a will, there’s a way! And we know you don’t suffer from any shortage of
“will” Lol.
@skigirl
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Kelly!
I hope your week is off to a good start and you enjoy this little one month milestone.
A great rest of the week to you!
@skigirl
 
In some ways it is hard to believe a month has gone by!!! My scar has a lump under it, swelling that just stays around which my doc told me was normal!!

This scar is two inches longer than the left hip!! They look like two different people operated!!

Yesterday I walked a two mile trail with the dog!! It was easy I felt like I could do it twice but I did not!!

I will see my doc at six weeks and will do formal pt then!
 
I felt like I could do it twice but I did not!
Best news so far today....but it's early. :wink: I love this because I know how difficult this s-l-o-w process is for you, but I do believe meting out activity will keep you on a steady trajectory with no setbacks. You'll be in such great shape by the holidays, without the pain. Super happy for you, Kelly!
 
Back
Top Bottom