TKR Kayak59's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but bored is part of the deal! Your knee needs all that rest.
Watch some mindless TV, look at a magazine, learn a new, sedentary hobby - I believe that skigirl learned how to knit during her recovery.
 
You are doing so good my surgery sister! I could not be happier for you. I understand the bored!! Luckily I have had phone calls and visits from many. My girlfriend is bringing dinner tonight and they will stay and eat. It will be nice to have a "normal" dinner with friends. I do need to eat more and better. Keflex is NASTY when it gets stuck in your throat and dissolves. :sick: I got more protein drinks like you suggested.

How many days until #2?
 
Hi Roy. I had my right knee done 8 days ago and getting my left knee done in 3 weeks so you can follow my progression. Almost a bilateral - dr would not do both at the same time. I decided to do this because of financial reasons but also because my left knee is as bad or worse than the right and I don't want a prolonged recovery period. I am extremely fortunate that I can work from home so am taking only 2 weeks off for each knee. Of course, if my right knee doesn't go well, that may change but we will see. I cannot imagine doing this in the summer when I'd be itching to go outside! I am mentally preparing myself for a rough time after the 2nd knee is done, but at least there won't be anything to stop my recovery. Intend to be on the bike, the trail and in my kayak by Spring.
It's the brain fade you'll have to watch, don't count on doing too much, your body might not let you.
 
how do you know if the swelling is "too much - don't push it" or it can be ignored? If there is no significant pain, it just feels like the skin is going to split if you bend the knee, should you go ahead and do the heel slides and strive to reach max flexion? I am going to measure a couple points above and below my knee daily to track the swelling progression/reduction. And of course, I'll be asking my PT this question tomorrow.
Always don't push it, never try to reach max flexion against heavy resistance or swelling, there's no need to bother measuring every day. If your PT says anything even remotely like 'push through', sack them.
 
You sound like you are doing great! I wish I had your extension numbers, my miserable 23 will improve will time. After having one knee done and hearing about the folks who do both knees at the same time or one right after the other - I think I am a sissy who lacks character and has no pain tolerance :)
 
@Chimera , we are all different and I know my left knee could give me a totally different miserable time. I'm doing my 2nd knee so soon because its as bad as the right and the OS would not do bilateral because of the strain on the body. Having one good knee and one bad knee would be worse than two bad knees for me. I thank my lucky stars that everything is going so well and can only hope the 2nd will do the same. Otherwise, I won't be bitching that I'm bored, I'm sure! Oh, and in my opinion, pain tolerance is something genetic, like the color of your hair although it also depends on your life experiences, your personality, and goals. I've had arthritis since my teens and for better or worse, I'm used to ignoring the pain and doing what I can anyway. Although, yes, my PT said to don't do that and I'll take her advice regarding my knees.
 
Right--recovery pain is different. It will go away if you listen to the knee and let it heal.
 
Yay! 0-123 ROM today. PT is pleased but says I need to continue with the walker because my quad is so weak where the bone spur ripped it up. Get my staples out tomorrow, hope it doesn't hurt too bad. I am such a baby when it comes to that kind of thing.
 
Enjoy the boredom. If it's nice out sit outside with you leg up and watch the clouds go by!!! 115 extension is GREAT. I didn't get there until almost 2 months. My thigh muscle was so annoyed by the surgery that I could feel a knot just above the knee. I iced the knee and the quad also as suggested by my therapist. I neve was able to handle those carts. I always drove into things.:vespa:
 
I am so happy for you and it is nice to read that things do go well! Thanks for sharing a good outcome. Our journeys all follow different paths and reading about each of them makes a hard journey easier to bear when you know they can go smoother. :wowspring:
 
Wow! That is a great ROM for two weeks out! Good for you!
 
You're doing great. The staples are a bit pinchy coming out but it will feel great to have them gone.
 
Went for my first checkup and the OS was pleased with my progress but said to back off on the flexion exercises as there is a distinct bulge and heat where the bone spur ripped the quad. I have been measuring my knee at the bottom and top of the incision and 5 inches up the thigh just for kicks for the past couple days. Forgot to do that before I went to the doc but there was a 3 inch increase in diameter at the top of the incision (bone spur spot). Icing and elevating since I came home. Removing the staples did not hurt at all except for the ones right on top of the knee cap (and then minimal). Doc said I could switch to a cane but my PT says no because of the weak quad and I do feel safer. The knee unexpectedly moves and locks every so often and the PT says that is the quad giving way and the knee locking to prevent falling. When I walk, I am concentrating on my gait, trying to stay up right and just resting my hands on the walker to give support if needed. The PT still says no outside walking, just 2 revolutions per hour around my living room and kitchen which is really short. Thank goodness I do have a wonderful view outside my living room, several bird feeders and occasionally deer.

Last night I did go out for a short time, sat in a comfy chair with my leg up and ice on the knee but when I got home, I felt tired and went to bed early. Same thing happened after the doc visit except it was utter exhaustion! I guess that is normal but I hope it isn't indicative of a "new phase" in my recovery - not that I intend to go anywhere next week except on Thanksgiving -- and then its just ride and sit with ice again. Do intend to start work next week but it will just be a question of swapping personal laptop and cat in my lap with my work laptop. Or in the case of the cat, trying to. I definitely expect some mental fatigue but it should be a very light week. I am a project manager and will not be given anything major to do as I'll only be working for two weeks before the 2nd knee. My hours are flexible so I can make time for PT and naps if needed.
 
@kayak59 , sounds like a good report overall - just cautious. I understand about feeling safer with the walker! I panicked when the PA took away my walker and was relieved when PT said to use the cane inside and the walker at night for my bathroom excursions. I bet it was nice to sit outside! Exhaustion? Oh my! When I got home, I could hardly hold my head up. Naps are good! Good views are great! You will be doing great when your sister knee has her turn!
 
Pretty soon to try working, but you'll find out soon enough if it's possible. You'll be surprised at how much it takes out of you. Your body is still healing. Even if you're at home working with lots of breaks, it's just more of a strain than resting with your laptop and dozing off. You may also have a bit of "brain fog" yet, so don't be surprised if it hits. This is a time to listen to your body and respond accordingly.
 
itch, itch, scratch scratch. My knee has been itching since the staples were taken out yesterday and the "railroad track" like bandage strips were put on. I was REALLY getting itchy this evening and all of a sudden it was like DUH! Smack Head! How can you forget you're sensitive to adhesive girl! Pulled up one of the strips and I've got red welts underneath so I pulled all of them off and put hydrocortisone all around the incision but not on it. Now I've got bandage size strips going down my incision, interspersed by a thin line of normal skin. Going to leave the incision uncovered this evening and until the welts go away. Don't have to go out until Sunday and then I'll create butterfly bandages from paper tape. Don't know why I didn't think about that. Oddly enough, the cheap bandaids don't do that or aren't on long enough but obviously this adhesive is very sticky and the skin already compromised. Whatever kind of adhesive used on the silver bandage did not bother me -- thank goodness!
 
must not have occurred to me what was going on because of that "mental fatigue" everyone is warning me about when I go back to work. ;-)
 
Wow, that was quite a reaction! I hear you about allergies- I am highly allergic to latex, must inform every doctor, dentist, etc. And my underwear is "special". :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom