Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kayak59's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, I got an automatic feeder as well for those morning feedings will get another for the day so I don't have to get up so often. Can't wait to get home. My cat sitter sayes my Nemo (Mama's boy) spends alot of his time waiting for me in the front bedroom window
 
Your kitties will be so happy to have you home! I have two little spaniels. Though well cared for in my absence they were ecstatic to see me after surgery, and have been my constant companions since.
 
5 days post op and just had my first PT visit. Flexion/extension 5 / 90. Working on edema reduction this weekend. I have skinny feet and ankles and the swelling hurts. Knee pain is not bad, thank goodness.
 
90 already is pretty great! Hope the swelling goes down for you soon. Keep taking good care.
 
@kayak59 , you are doing great! I got the 90, but could only get 10 on extension. How are you counting your days? I thought we would be 4 days out. Tuesday being day one, Wed 2, Thur 3, Today 4. Your way makes our time go by faster! hahahaha! Can you believe it was just Monday?? Have the kitties settled down? GiGi is getting even more clingy and following me around. She is laying on the bed while I do the CPM and PT. Gotta love a snuggle cat.
 
@Timetolive, you re right about the counting. I should consider the surgery date as day 0 so by that, today (Saturday) is day 5. Swelling was really bad yesterday afternoon and evening and when I next did my knee slides, I was nowhere near 90. Looking through some library articles I realized, duh! I am nowhere near elevating my knee enough. I tried to sleep part of the night with the leg elevated and this morning, my ankle and foot was significantly smaller. So I'm now on my recliner with my knee well elevated and Nemo boy, you are just going to have to figure out how to get up on my lap. He's looking at me like "What ARE you doing?"

My sister is coming over today so I'm looking forward to going out for a short walk.
 
Ha! GiGi jumped right on the knee last night and we both had a shock! She is snuggled in beside me on the bed while I am in the CPM.

Did the OS give you any instructions as to what to do? I do hope you can get your swelling under control. My ankle swelled for the first time while I had it down showering this morning. I walked some and it helped pump that fluid back up I think.
 
@Timetolive, the PT gave me 3 exercises specifically designed to activate the lymph nodes and suck up that fluid. With elevated legs, she told me to do 3 sets of fast 10 heel pumps, 10 knee presses, then 10 butt clenches. Do that 3 times, rest for 20 minutes with legs elevated, then 3 more sets. I am doing that every hour or so, ten for my 3-4 times a day PT, I do that plus add heel slides and a couple different leg lifts.
 
Congratulations on your new knee!! I used ice and kept my leg elevated the majority of the time for the first 2 weeks or so. It does help. Be careful about walking too much right now. My knee and leg would swell up pretty quickly and it always seemed much longer to get rid of it.
 
Thanks, @newlybionic. I think my biggest problem right now might be patience and not doing too much. Question for anyone reading this: how do you know if the swelling is "too much - don't push it" or it can be ignored? If there is no significant pain, it just feels like the skin is going to split if you bend the knee, should you go ahead and do the heel slides and strive to reach max flexion? I am going to measure a couple points above and below my knee daily to track the swelling progression/reduction. And of course, I'll be asking my PT this question tomorrow. I've got 14 staples and the silver bandage still on. Do I really think I will pull apart the incision...... well, not all the way, but......

6 days post op, 25 days before left TKR.
 
it just feels like the skin is going to split if you bend the knee, should you go ahead and do the heel slides and strive to reach max flexion?
Short answer, NO! Ice and elevate to get that swelling down. Trying to push through will only cause even more swelling.
 
I put a picture of my knee in the photo section. Truly "lovely" colors. By the way, someone mentioned using arnica cream My thigh muscles are hurting, I have shin splints and having minor "surface pain" all over. I used the arnica cream this morn and those areas are still feeling ok.
 
I could have been the person who mentioned arnica cream. It worked well for me.
Do be careful never to put it on you wound, though. I know you can't because you still have the dressing on - but that warning was for other people whose wound might not be covered..
 
Had a look at your badge of honor. You could really get some sympathy from your family with those bruises! I am sure they will be a distant memory soon.
 
I just saw your poor leg. You'll get to see them turn all different colors of the rainbow as they fade. It truly is a badge of courage!
 
Welcome to the recovery side wishing you good recovery with few setbacks.
 
Just had my 2nd PT session - with a new therapist. I was a bit concerned at first because I thought I 'd be using the person I had last week - who also had both knees replaced - but she seemed pretty nice and did not push me. She said the incision looked good and not too much swelling. ( think those exercises I was doing to reduce the swelling really work well!) I was able to get 115% flexion but only 5% extension. She also explained why my upper thigh was hurting - not because I overdid it as I had thought, but because that and all the other muscles are now in their correct alignment, whereas previously they weren't, so of course, they are complaining. But she also said no walking other than around the house. Waah! Good thing its raining or I'd be very tempted to ignore that. I think this weekend, I'll get someone to take me to Menard's or Costco where I can drive all over the place in one of their electric carts. I did that after my foot surgeries and it was kind of fun. She did tell me to keep using the walker which I don't mind too much, keeps my back and hip level and I am barely putting any weight on it.

She said I can probably start on my stationary bike next week so that will be good.
 
I think this weekend, I'll get someone to take me to Menard's or Costco where I can drive all over the place in one of their electric carts. I did that after my foot surgeries and it was kind of fun.
A knee replacement is much bigger surgery than your foot surgeries and teh weekend will be too soon forgoing to a store.
Apart from how that outing will make your knee swell, your energy levels will be very low and you are going to feel completely wiped out if you attempt it.

Your job right now is to rest, elevate and ice your knee and just take little walks around the house.
Have a look at this article again: Activity progression for TKRs
You'll see that it's recommended that trips to a shop wait until about 6 weeks post-op.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom