Guest viewing is limited

THR Kay9s Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou all SO much! You make me feel understood here, and amongst people who are on my side. This has been like being in some kind of nightmare. But Im not having too bad a night tonight:thumb:. Its 4.30 am and although Ive woken probably every hour, I have slept. After pleading with hospital staff last night, I was given stronger pain relief, I had Oramorph, Tramadol and something beginning with G...Gabatin or something, plus Paracetomol and an anti-inflammatory.
That cocktail took a huge edge off the pain, it was still there but bearable....it was such a relief !!! One of the Nurses in particular has been very nice, she said it must be horrible to not have adequate pain relief but she took the time to explain to me that because the pain " got away with me" I would be playing catch-up all the time so I have to understand that. I don't know if they will keep me on this " cocktail" or not because of the BP, but I hope so. Im determined to walk today, I keep looking at the walker now and Im tempted to try, but Id best wait until someones here. I HAVE to walk today!

I never know when Physio are coming, they just turn up, but if I knew I would make sure I had pain relief before they came . I moved my leg on my own just now, bent my knee up and did a few exercises, such a small thing but to do it without wanting to cry with pain was a good feeling:).

Fingers crossed they are going to continue with this pain relief irrespective of my BP, I will have to see when the staff shift change over happens, but hopefully they will see how much more positive having adequate pain relief is making me, and not be so obsessed with my BP. I know they are only doing what they think is right, but to have a level of pain that almost causes a panic attack, cant be right?

Thankyou so much, everyone who has taken the time to try to make me feel better.:flwrysmile:. I WILL be walking today, I do feel positive of that. My pain right now is around a 4 out of 10 and I can cope with that well. Theres light at the end of the tunnel. Lets hope theres no train:yes:.
 
Sorry you are having a rough start. Once they sort out your BP and your pain med protocols you will be off and walking. I spent the first five days in ICU unconscious and one day in HDU and then to the surgical ward. So I didn't get the opportunity to try out my new bionic hardware for almost seven days. But oh, what bliss it was to put my feet to the ground and take those first tiny nervous steps only to discover the dreadful pre surgical pain was all gone... It is important that they sort out your BP but also important that your pain is managed. Not long now I hope for you :)
 
@Poppet oh gosh you must have been so unwell to have been in ICU all that time, :sad:, what a terrible start for your life with a new hip!

The new Sister from change of shift has just been in and, thankfully, said today she is going to concentrate on managing my pain level.:happydance:. Ive had 2 Paracetomol, an anti-inflammatory , a Gaba-something :what: And shes coming back with 2 Tramadol. At last, Im going to be in a lot less pain!:yay:.

My blood pressure has fallen again, but I dont feel faint or dizzy.

I feel so good in fact, that as the lady collecting the breakfast things was going, I asked her to move the walker close to my bed. I decided I was going to try standing and a few steps. I said to myself " right, come on, lets do this!" And scooted to the end of the bed ( that in itself was amazing, I couldnt even move without intense pain yesterday) then realised Im hooked up to a catheter and have leg pumps on!:groan:. So I had to leave it, but Im going to ask if I can have the catheter out today and start trying to use the bathroom.

Im very determined today Im going to make huge strides. Maybe not literally, but you know what I mean:thumb:
 
@Kay9 So sorry your pain was not addressed in the early days - but happy that you sound more confident and determined to stand up and walk. Just out of interest: Do you know your blood pressure? Mine was sometimes 90/60, which I think is low enough, and they didn't refuse to manage my pain because of low blood pressure issues. I can't understand why they would do that. I received Diclofenac for my pain twice daily which I think is a pretty potent drug and is the kind of painkiller where you have to exercise caution when driving or operating machines.

You will feel better as soon as you can do a bit of walking. If you are on the move, this will make your blood pressure better. But as they say here on Bonesmart, the pain has to be managed first, otherwise you can't become more mobile.

And if you like coffee - ask for another good cup of coffee e.g. after breakfast - that helps, too.
 
@zauberflöte thankyou for tagging josephine, and your suggestions about the ombudsman. Hopefully today things are going to improve so I wont need to do anything. Ive just been given tramadol and the sister said Im down for Oramorph too if I need it. I think, hope, the pain is going to be the focus today.:thumb:. At least that means I can try to be more mobile, providing this damn BP thing doesnt ruin that.

I can move my leg on my own now too. Im sadly excited about that:snork:.
 
@Constanze sorry, we were cross posting then. They did tell me what my BP was but I dont remember, I know it was under 100 and I vaguely recall 60 being mentioned too, I will ask when they do it next. Does coffee help blood pressure? Im a tea junkie, but will ask for a coffee next time.

Im just so so happy to be rid of the pain. Obviously Im not pain free but this now is manageable, at one point last night I almost had a total melt down because the pain was so bad. This is such s relief !!
 
Yes, I think coffee helps with blood pressure. At least it helps me. I drink a lot of it - always. But when I go over to England, I drink English tea of course - with real milk (not coffee cream - yuk). That tastes good. On the other hand, tea doesn't taste so good in Germany and coffee is much better.

Congratulations for being able to move your leg now. I wish you a good recovery, no more pain, that you will sleep well at night, and no more melt downs.
Constanze
 
Ive just walked up the corridor:yes!::egypdance:
Feel like ive climbed a mountain, am so excited! I never would have thought yesterday I would do this today!

Catheters out, so thats good. Ive just gone and had a wash by myself and managed to put fresh PJs on, bit of a tricky moment when I dropped the top, but managed to pick it up with other leg, so all good.

Feel so positive now:)
 
Well done @Kay9 looks like you are well on the way now. Sorry that you had to suffer such dreadful pain before they got it sorted. Hopefully now you will be almost pain free and can start to move more, then you will be home before you know it.
 
You are doing well lass. Those first forays away from the bed are great, I kept going but was caught by a nurse

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Kay9 I hope things continue to improve for you! My BP was also fairly low in the hospital. Sometimes the top number was under 100. But that didn't seem to affect what meds I could get.

This is my first morning back home and I'm also having some lightheadedness. Let us know if you find something that works for you!

Hang in there! It gets better from here!
 
My blood pressure was 80/40 a few times on the day of surgery and that night which seemed to concern the nurses but as I was able to sit on the side of the bed without dizziness and nausea, they decided I could "tolerate" a blood pressure that low. At no time was pain medication held because of my blood pressure; in fact the nurses came round with it every 4 hours like clockwork! Of course if it's so low you can't sit up without nausea and dizziness that's no good. I think it should stabilize over the next day or two. If you can sit at the edge of the bed upright without getting dizzy you should be alright, but move slooooooowly. The physios know all this.
 
@Kay9 oh thank God you are getting the meds you need!! You sound so elated-- be careful not to overdo it from feeling so much better :)
I am so happy for you-- this happiness and excitement is exactly where I hoped you would be. As Poppet said, steady as she goes! Rest rest rest ice ice ice drink and prunes and all that good stuff! Today is for good nurses to get pain managed, maybe later a walk or so :)
I think my BP stayed +/- 90/65 for weeks, but I was not, thank goodness, dizzy. Just cold flashes. Somebody suggested for me to do biceps curls with or without a very light weight-- soup can, say. Apparently that would raise my BP too.
Good going!!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Ive just done 7 stairs! :dancy:.
I would never have believed yesterday I would be doing this today . Im still very unsteady on the 2 sticks, but fine on the walker. My pain levels are very tolerable, just groin pain really. Reading through here, Ive no idea why the hospital has made such a fuss of the low BP, to the extent of me being in terrible pain:what: But I guess they know what they are doing.

Walking on my new hip feels strange but oh so good!:thumb: No more bone on bone pain! And I can stand up straight! I was kind of bent over and tilted to the left before.

Can I ask anyone who knows, why would some of the Pelvis had to have been taken out? i do know my Pelvis had tilted, could that be why some was removed?

Im going to go have a shower now......no stopping me now!:snork:
 
@Kay9 hooray first shower! Feeling better now, are we?!!!!!!!
My vote if you were asking, would be to keep with the walker until you feel very solid. Never mind two sticks that directly depend on your upper body coordination to keep you safe! Also, so I hear, they fall over if you rest them against something. If your walker/cage of safety falls over, you might be living in another universe :lol:
I went directly from walker to nothing, with a pathetic 5 minute stop at a cane, which hurt my hands and wrists, and kept me off balance. It's enough, I reasoned, to worry about what my body is doing, without having to take care of a needy, high maintenance cane :lol:
I did carry the cane in the house to ward off my large, oblivious, and fast-moving son! By the time I was making outings, I was able to use it as a signal to others that "here is an unsteady person"-- it works!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
So happy you are out of that pain zone @ Kay9! I was so sad for you and could just imagine you in the hospital bed in pain. I too had low blood pressure and dizziness but it was never a reason to hold off on pain meds.
Hang in there ~ now that you are truly on the road to recovery~beware of over doing it as your body will tell you to rest and it's important to listen!
Way to go girl!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kay9, so glad you made it through the worst. Stay the course and try not to do too much.. You got this girl!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom