Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kate's Knee Knews

@SDkate -- Your post about the young man who was training reminded me that every time I am at PT, the majority of patients are high school and college age. It makes me sad to see all the knee (and other) injuries as I am sure that increases their risk for joint replacement in the future. Now that sports practices have started for fall, the number of injuries has skyrocketed. And they all leave with a bag of ice shrink wrapped to the joint and nothing between the skin and the ice but the plastic bag. I have seen a few who were just training, and I have told my PT that I don't want her assigning me any of those moves!
 
The good news, sdgrandma, is your PT is unlikely to do so, because you're not in training. You're in rehab.

I had some mini-cones for one exercise, and I joked it was like the tires I'd seen football players use for their training, and my PT laughed and described what they do for people who are training vs. rehabbing. Very different approaches.
 
@SDkate -- I have told my PT that I don't want her assigning me any of those moves!
The particular young man I was watching was jumping from side to side, over some sort of metal bar, so as he jumped his weight was pushed out onto each leg as he jumped. My PT noticed me watching and he said eventually I'd be doing that in my sessions - Not!!!

Trying to wean down on the Nucynta and using ES Tylenol, but it's not keeping the pain at bay as much as I'd like. The pain isn't too bad at night, but still having a lot of trouble sleeping at night. I seem to have less trouble once my husband rolls out of bed in the early morning hours, feel like I can stretch out more and can sometimes even get comfortable on my right side. Tonight I've got Peter, Paul and Mary songs going through my head. Off to try again for a few more hours ...
 
Still trying to wean down/off the Nucynta for pain relief. My choice a couple of days ago as the weekend grew closer was to ask my OS for a refill on it as I didn't have enough to last through the weekend at the 75 mg. dose, or to see if ES Tylenol would take care of the pain and to wean off the narcotic. When I talked to them on Friday, they seemed to like the idea that I wanted to wean down/off, and the nurse assured me that I wouldn't have any withdrawal symptoms because I hadn't been on it that long (2-1/2 weeks).

I have been having some issues all day that I think are due to having less of the narcotic in my system, such as some diarrhea (go figure), occasional nausea, chills, and pain that isn't controlled with the Tylenol. I take either a 50 mg. or 25 mg dose of the Nucynta every 4-6 hours, 1000 mg of Tylenol every 4-6 hours, so hopefully tomorrow the worst of it will be over ? Right about now I'm wishing I'd gotten a refill yesterday, but I know I have to stop taking it at some point. Very little appetite, ate very little today. Didn't get much sleep last night, had a 2-hour nap this afternoon. I'm hoping to go to bed soon, sleep well, and feel much better when I wake up. Since it's Sunday tomorrow, I plan to have a very quiet day, lay low, read the paper, watch some football, elevate and ice my very warm knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If your pain continues tomorrow you may to get that refill and just need to back off of the pain med a little more slowly. Getting off the pain med is a good thing but it sounds like your knee is just not quite ready for that. Hopefully today will be a more comfortable day for you.
 
Some people have kept a supply of a narcotic pain reliever on hand for night time only, as that's when the pain seems to flare up.
 
I used Norco before bed for about 10 weeks regularly and then some nights until at least 12 weeks
 
I've been searching but can't seem to find anything specific about the knee feeling warm, especially in the evening. Been going to PT two days a week and water PT two days a week, working on stamina for return to work next week. Even before starting the water PT I've noticed that the skin over my new knee is warm/borderline hot at times. About an hour ago it was really warm, now it's cooled down. Is this normal? It's still/always a little swollen as well.
 
My knee is always warm. It's not as hot as it was but I notice a difference between my good knee and the bad one. I just think it means it is still healing.
 
Perfectly normal. It will diminish over time.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Your knee feeling warm is a sign that healing is still going on internally. It will probably last for months.
 
:iagree: My OS said the knee can be warm months up to a year. Swelling will go on for a while. You are just a month no half out, so swelling is normal at that point.
 
Okay, thanks for all the info - I appreciate your responses!
 
Since I have to go back to work next week, it's time to spruce up parts that I've neglected while focusing my knee. Coloring my hair tonight, getting it cut tomorrow as well as removing hair from where it shouldn't be, and got a pedicure today. Pic shows my pretty well healed scar as well - my OS does minimally invasive, so scar is about 4 inches long. I wasn't concerned about the cosmetic look before the surgery, but I'm happy it doesn't look too bad already at 6 weeks.

[Bonesmart.org] Kate's Knee Knews
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Though I have to return to work this coming week (fly to CA tomorrow), I do so with a heavy heart and wish I could stay home one more week. A childhood friend of my husband's died Friday night and I won't be able to attend the funeral. Though I've only known Steve in the years since I've met my husband, he and his wife have been such good friends, we've spent every New Year's eve and 4th of July with them, enjoying the warmth of their home and friendship while we rang in each new year, and enjoying their lake cabin on the 4th, hanging by the water, beach bonfire at night while watching fireworks over the lake, and steaks on the grill. But more than that, Steve was the kindest, most caring man I've known, a super father and a loving husband. That term is used a lot in obituaries, but I observed Steve showing his love for Lauri in many ways - a caress in passing, stopping to kiss her for the heck of it, lots of little ways that showed their love after 30+ years of marriage.

Steve was only 58 years old, diagnosed just 4 weeks ago with a rare form of liver cancer. It's another very sad reminder to my husband and I, who have also lost his sister (57), his mother and a sister-in-law (56) within 15 months, that life is unpredictable and can be cut short way too easily.

I'm pretty sad right now, but other parts of life have to carry on - right now that means going to the grocery store as well as picking up a prescription before traveling tomorrow.
 
@SDkate -- I am so sorry for your loss and that your return to work means you can't be there to support the family. Prayers for you as you travel and for your husband and for Steve's family in the days ahead. We have a neighbor who is dying of a newly diagnosed Stage 4 cancer and I know he will be gone before we return. He and my husband have been good friends, especially since they both retired.
 
@SDkate
I'm sorry for your loss. There's never a good time for someone relatively young to die, and this must be hard for everyone.

I hope that, although the timing could be better, your return to work goes smoothly.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom