TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

I am in so much discomfort but it is not my knee that is bothering me. It's my thigh and calf, really my whole left side from the waist down. I have the TENS going on my back. It hurts less when up and around. The thigh pain feels like it would be relieved if only I could BEND MY KNEE but I am only at about 90 right now. It just feels like if I could yoga sit the discomfort would go away. So weird. I have always had good flexibility, which has come in handy for putting on socks etc. I guess my body is just rebelling against not being able to bend the way it used to.
 
Yes, good flexibility is a wonderful thing. I could put on socks within a day or two after surgery, which was very handy. I’m not sure if that’s why you’re feeling this discomfort, though. You can’t force your knee to satisfy your thigh, of course, so you might have to keep trying other things.

Have you tried heat on your thigh? We advise against heat on the knee, but heat on the thigh a few inches or higher above the knee might be a way to relax the muscle.
 
Yes, heat is very soothing, I will try that. I also had a close friend die two days ago, and I couldn't get to see her in the hospital, though I did get to talk to her on the phone that morning and say goodbye and she did answer me. So I think my body is in mourning too, even as I have seen some gains in my function.
 
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. :console2: :friends:
 
Oh, I am so sorry about your friend. Not being able to go to her had to really hurt. We lost our senior deacon at church shortly after my tkr and I couldn't go visit his wife and good friend. Nor, could I go to the funeral. It still is a disappointment. But, people understand that you couldn't go. Your friend most of all. She would want you to be where you were safe and out of danger. She would want your healing to come first.

It's very possible that your extra pain is stress related. When you're uptight, like stress does to the body, then your muscles aren't relaxed. Plus, during your tkr, the OS bends your knee back and forth to make sure you have the ROM needed and the correct tracking. That will cause your muscles to be extremely painful. Mine sure were.

I'll be praying for your peace of mind and stress released!
 
Thank you for the kind words. We became the foster family of her cat when she had to go into assisted living and Patrick the cat meant the world to her. She became a member of our family, sharing most holidays with us. This picture was from Thanksgiving. She was in the hospital since shortly after I had my surgery, and towards the end she was wanting to see him. My husband was looking into getting permission, but when I got the call that she was most likely not going to last the day, he and my kids were out of town and I was home alone. I seriously considered trying to crawl down my outside steps in the snow and ice carrying a large cat, but I knew it wasn't safe. I feel like I let her down and I start crying every time I think about it. A friend who is cleaning out her room called me today and found a little "will" she wrote concerning our care of Patrick and it was so sweet, so I have been very emotional all day. She was younger than me but very disabled after a severe stroke, and she was so brave, she rarely complained. So she inspires me to try to be brave and try not to complain.
[Bonesmart.org] Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!
 
Your friend sounds like she was a wonderful, warm, and loving woman. Though she might have wanted to see her beloved Patrick, she would not have wanted, ever, for you to endanger yourself (and maybe Patrick too) by trying to venture out in the ice and snow. I’m sure it eased her heart to know you were caring for, and would continue to care for, her beautiful boy. And he is beautiful!

He makes you happy, I think, and will be a great companion for you in the days and years to come. :catbutterfly:
 
I’m so sorry you lost your friend. And I agree with what Susie said, your friend would not have wanted you to venture out in bad conditions so soon after your surgery. Our minds are so quick to accuse us of making the wrong decisions.

Taking care of Patrick and loving him is a wonderful way to honor your friend.
:console2:
 
Woke up feeling optimistic after a decent night's sleep and let the dog out. I have already gone up the six steps from the door foot over foot twice now and it really isn't painful, though my left knee can't do all the work yet. Has anyone else noticed that when ROM improves then the knee feels more wobbly and has a tendency to give out during walking, and conversely when mobility and strength improve the ROM regresses? Before my quad started waking up a few days ago, my bend was about to 90* but now that I am excited about being able to do stairs etc, I've lost some bend and have increased stiffness. I guess it makes sense when you think about it.
 
Swelling will feel like stiffness and decrease bend. It’s ok, it will vary often but will improve over time.

Great job on the stairs!
 
Doing steps foot over foot is causing your knee to swell, which makes you lose ROM. You might be over zealous this early on your new knee. Back off on your steps that way for a day or two.
 
Doing steps foot over foot is causing your knee to swell, which makes you lose ROM. You might be over zealous this early on your new knee. Back off on your steps that way for a day or two.

How do I prioritize strengthening my extremely weak quad vs ROM? It doesn't really hurt to do the steps. I just took a shower and after steaming awhile I was able to get back to 90* without much trouble and no pain and then I was wibbly wobbly again! Seems like I will need to put up with both as I recover.
 
Don't worry about strengthening yet. We usually say don't start strengthening exercises until 3 months post-op. In the time leading up to then, your muscles will gradually strengthen with daily use.
The principle is heal first, strengthen later.

Many people can't manage stairs one foot at a time for about 4 months, so you are ahead of the game there - but maybe you could do it two feet to each stair half the time, to give your new knee a rest.

Keep using a cane until your leg feels less wobbly - it's a wise precaution, to prevent falls.
 
Strengthening the quad isn’t something you have to do right off the bat. Mentally, you can put that on a back burner, because you are doing some strengthening every time you walk and do daily activities. Reducing swelling gives you more bang for your buck at this point in recovery. Reducing swelling allows your knee to move better, and causes less pain, so you get way more benefit than if you worked on strengthening just now.

Later, once your knee is less swollen and your pain faded to not much at all, you will find lots of fun ways to make your quads stronger!
 
@Chemist I’m glad to read your post. I’m where you were at the 2 month mark and not sure about doing my left knee. Although it does scream at me once in a while to remind me I will need to do it also. I’m glad to read you are ready to do lefty in May. I look forward to read about your recovery.
 
@Babushelen: I am sure that there will plenty to read. I wish I had had this forum when I did my right knee. It would have been nice to be able to vent and also find reassurance/words of wisdom. I will probably wait until a few days after surgery to start reporting on progress. I have tried to do work related reports and emails too soon after surgery (impact of anesthesia/heavy pain meds) and was advised to stop because I was being "too creative" in communications. Not sure what that meant, but I stopped.
 
My afternoon:
Several hours of elevating and icing.
Got up for bathroom and snack. As I walked I thought, "Wow, when I walk I can move my knee in a nearly normal way and no pain or tightness. Cool!"
Went back to the recliner. Ice packs were warm so I just hung out for an hour or so, reading a lengthy thread about someone who had a ton of complications that started at 5 weeks (bad idea!)
Get back up to bathroom. Knee feels so tight that every step feels like I am ripping stitches!

SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THINGS CAN CHANGE SO QUICKLY??? Why is this such a roller coaster? :gaah:
 
It's cause and effect. You do a little more than your knee is ready for and it rebels by swelling and gets more painful. The only cure is more icing and elevating. Remember that your knee is an infant and needs to be treated very gently and with lots of TLC. It's always the boss.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom