TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

Is this stimulation painful? The nerve conductivity test used electricity and it was horrid.
 
I notice you’ve reached out to @Jennszoo, and hope she stops in to advise you. She had quite the battle with her quad on the one knee, but it came around. If anyone can counsel about patience, she’s the one!

Reaching out to the physical therapist for walking help is a good move. PT is excellent for working on things like gait and movement. Just don’t work on strength just yet, because it’s too soon and would just aggravate your baby knee. You can work on strength later. It helps, too, that you like your therapist. :)
 
A TENS unit isn’t painful. I had the nerve test as well and know what you’re talking about. Using TENS doesn’t require needles that have electricity running through them. You put sticky patches on and electricity is conducted that way. You control the amount. It really helps some people.
 
The Russian stimulation wasn’t really painful for me... just a little uncomfortable in 10 second increments. I was relieved when it was over, but I’m not apprehensive to do it again nor was I sore later.
 
@LuckyKY Same here with the Russian stimulation.It was an acceptable modality toward recovery.
 
@Beckadeez I agree a TEN units does a great job decreasing pain. I used my so much I went through a battery in 5 Days!
 
Hi, @katchmo. It sounds like we can all agree that your dr. has never had a knee replaced. I hope he needs one in the future so he can find out what a jerk he has been to his patients. I've been reading over your postings and I'm really impressed with how you are handling everything. You are taking charge of your rehabilitation and seeking out people to help you after a lousy start. My surgery was a week before yours and my knee did what yours is doing. I would be walking along and it would "give out". Like you, I didn't hit the ground but it was disconcerting and a little scary. It happened several times. After reading your page, I just realized that it isn't doing it anymore. All I can figure is that I'm walking more and my quad must be getting stronger and can support my new knee better. I am doing PT and riding a recumbent bike but I think it is probably due to the walking. Sometimes getting our lives back seems like an impossibility but it won't be long before you start to get back to your old self. Hiking is definitely in your future! Hang in there.
 
@Beckadeez are we allowed to share links on this forum? I can recommend a company with excellent customer service for your TENS if you are in the US.
 
@Mutti3 I don't like the TENS on my knee, very irritating for some reason, but I use it on my back for sciatica that has been a problem since surgery, and it has been a lifesaver!
 
I don’t think we can post links on here but you could send me a PM.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@katchmo I agree the TENS was a lttle more irritating on the knee than the back! Got to be a more careful due to numbness around the knee post op.
 
i really liked the feeling of the TENS around my knee at p.t. ~ massage, laser, TENS, cold pack on top and bottom, cover me up with a blankie, soothing music, lights down low and leave me for 20 minutes. best part of p.t. for me (alternate acupuncture with TENS). ahhhhhhh!:yes:
 
Well, I just ordered a TENS unit that also has an EMS modality. See if it will help wake up my sleepy quad.
 
Howdy Katchmo: I had my RTKR in Aug of 2017 after having to skip some hikes with my family while we were on vacation. After 2 months I was regretting the surgery because of pain and my perceived lack of progress. I swore that I would never have surgery on my left. Now approaching 7 months and things are very different. I still get a bit stiff, especially in the morning but I am able to go for long walks (with the benefit of cortisone in my left knee), cook, take care of the garden etc. As an indication of how things have progressed in 5 months - I have my LTKR scheduled for May. Hang in there. Mobility will come - it just takes longer than we want.
 
Have you tried working both of your legs at the same time? The only way I could "wake up" right quad was to work the left at the same time. My PT said something about a "sympathetic" effect. he would also gently tap my quad which also seem to help it wake up
 
That's an interesting idea. I will try it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom