TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

Well, I overdid it yesterday and am paying for it today. My right leg is quite sore, so I took a pain pill and I am back to elevating, icing, and rest. No church today.
 
Well, I just agreed to somethings that is probably very foolish but it feels like the right thing. Our middle daughter, who is a nurse who lives about four hours away, asked me to go on a trip to British Columbia with her and I said yes. We will go on September 9th and be gone about a week. I know she would prefer one of her sisters but neither is available . And she doesn't really have any other really close friends; her sisters are her best friends(which I love.) I did so well sitting in the rear seat of the Suburban with my leg up that I know the driving won't be a problem. And I will rent a wheelchair for sight seeing. It might be foolish but she is a quiet girl who doesn't open up easily. So I will jump at any chance to get closer to her. We have a good relationship but I just really want to share this time with her.
 
Remember to let your daughter know that you will need time each day to rest, ice and elevate your leg, @katchmo .
It's really early in recovery to be taking that holiday, so do your best to look after your knee, as well as to spend quality time with your daughter. She may be a nurse, but she may not realise the extent to which the energy drain will affect you as well. Warn her in advance, so that she's prepared for it.
 
Yeah I told her I didn't want to be holding her back and that I wouldn't be able to walk and hike at all but she still wants me to come!
 
15 days post op, drove myself to the OS and got my staples out. Everything looks great and he is happy with my progress. My bend was only about 70 but he wasn't too concerned, though he did show me an exercise to sit on a rolling chair and roll the chair back "and force your knee to bend to discomfort, then hold it awhile." I just smiled and nodded. :bignono: I showed him how Leftie has gained at least 10 degrees flexion since Rightie's surgery and he was amazed, said, "I've never seen that happen before!" I asked him if he did anything different this time and he said, "I think I did it a little tighter, but I don't remember for sure." I plan to get a copy of both operative reports.

Afterwards I went to the store and got a few goodies for dinner. Now I'm home icing and elevating, sipping a Kombucha, and feeling good.
 
:wowspring:
You drove at 15 days!!

It took me 11 weeks to want to drive, and it was only because my husband had an eye dr appointment and he was dilated and couldn’t see right!! I’m such a wimp!

You are doing awesome! I hope IF (big IF!) I ever do this again that I do as well as you. :happydance:
 
You drove at 15 days!!

I know, can hardly believe it myself, especially since it's my right knee. I feel a pulling sensation when driving but no pain. And you are not a wimp! Driving was very difficult for me last time; if I had the same feeling in my right leg, it would take me a long time to tackle driving.

I feel incredibly grateful at how much better it's going and I wish the same for you, too.
 
I still feel a pulling in my knee sitting on certain chairs and depending on how far forward I have the seat when I’m driving. And it’s my left knee.
Miss Drama Queen Knee. :doh:
 
Actually, after walking around the store, I realized I was having almost the same amount of pain in Leftie as Rightie.
 
Leftie is still young! It like having kids less than a year apart. The child is older, but still a baby!

You probably shouldn’t gallivant around town too much just yet! :dancy:
 
Ha, well......maybe you didn't see my post where I'm going to British Columbia? :whistle:
I did. I hope you have a great time with your daughter. :console2:

I have 2 daughters, and they have lived far away for years. (My oldest daughter spent 3 years teaching in South Africa)

I often wonder how different our lives would be if they had gone to college local and married young, and married local boys and we all lived in the same area.

I think I did too well teaching them to be independent. They don’t need me for anything. They are very self sufficient. It would be nice to feel like a mom again.
 
My family (brother and sister) are very scattered; we were all out of the nest and independent right out of high school. My mom said the same as you a few times. Our own kids aren't quite as scattered, and the two that are far away (Memphis Tennessee and Abilene Texas) hope to make their way back to Montana eventually. It's really hard being a parent of adults. :friends: I'm very thankful for Skype.
 
It's really hard being a parent of adults. :friends:
It sure is. When they were little things were pretty much black and white. Now they have opinions and there’s a lot of gray areas! :rotfl:

I’m proud of my daughters, I just wish we had a closer relationship.
 
I was on my feet quite a bit today. I actually have less pain with walking than I do sitting, oddly, though my leg gets fatigued and I have to sit after awhile. But the muscles in my thigh are still quite tender and are aggravated by sitting. So today my daughter and I cleaned, though I did small stuff and she did large stuff. Then I went to her volleyball game and a quick stop at the store. When I got home, I had my husband and son move my recliner into my office. I have tried a few times to sleep in my bed, the latest being a nap yesterday, and my knee really doesn't like it. But the other three people in the house do not know how to be quiet when they get up early for work, and they get the dog and cats worked up and they won't leave me alone. So now my recliner is in my office and I can shut the door. My left knee hurts about as much as my right one does right now, so I am icing, took pain pills, and am looking forward to a good night's sleep.
 
Oh, and I tried out the little portable stool at the volleyball game and it worked well. I was able to fit a thin sofa pillow in the backpack part and that provided good padding. I was able to carry the pillow, a water bottle, my cell phone, and my wallet in it, and carry the whole thing on my back, which is easier than carrying a bag on my shoulder or in my hand. It wasn't perfect but I think that is more due to my sore thigh muscles than anything. Weird that my thigh hurts more than my knee, from the tourniquet, I suppose.
 
It took me nearly 5 weeks to drive, so good for you. I’m also finding that walking is less painful standing. I was baking yesterday, and standing was tough. I planned my work so I could just lie down at times, elevate, ice or use my tens machine.

For me, the pain is mostly my outer thigh, above the incision. Quads? My PT thought the muscles in my outer side were weaker than the inner.

I’m sure you’ll have a great time in BC, just let your knee do the talking!
 
@katchmo wow look at you go. I also have pain in the thigh at the back just above the knee. Yesterday it was non stop, so annoying and yes standing is better but I don’t have the endurance.
 
@DLR I have had a sensation of a rolled up towel behind my knee, and no matter how much I smooth out the pillow and the clothes it still feels like it's there. Very annoying.
 
I had that sensation early on and it's incredibly annoying. :gaah: Hope you get rid of it soon.

You've put your new knees through the paces and it's no surprise your left knee joined the party. It sounds like you've got things under control and are managing the activity. I love your volleyball game setup: a compact bundle of essentials. Did you take a cane along? Just wondering if that might have helped your legs a bit. You certainly did plan well!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom