TKR Katchmo's Knees: Round Two!

[Bonesmart.org] Katchmo's Knees: Round Two! I bought a car adapter for my icer and it's working like a charm. My leg is stretched our more than it looks like in the photo. It's under the dash.
 
That's neat! What size is your car? Thinking about the space involved and if it would work for all cars/trucks or just bigger ones.

I can see this being very handy for members who have to make longer trips to their medical appointments, or like I do for can't-miss family get-togethers. Go you!
 
We had a Toyota Matrix when I had my surgery. There was very little room above my feet in the front seat to try to elevate much at all.

I did ride sideways in the backseat a few times, but I had trouble getting across the back seat to where I needed to be to have my leg up on the seat. I had to use my arms which was probably a factor on the shoulder tendinitis I had a week after surgery.
Acute tendinitis that is. :blackcloud:
 
I had the same thing coming home in my Prius, hardly any room to elevate and I over an hour from home. I wanted to sit in the back seat, but the nurse wouldn't let me. I had read that to scoot across the backseat, to put a trash bag on the seat and sit on that. It's easy to slide on that. After about 15 minutes I had wished I had sat on the back seat!
 
Yes, it is a cigarette lighter adapter that I bought off eBay. I just searched my specific icer and car adapter.. I have a Suburban and my leg is not really elevated. It's not quite straight either. I wouldn't have been able to tolerate it right after surgery but at this point it's fine. I much preferred sitting in the third seat and elevating on pillows but I want to sit by my daughter. Shorter drive today to Vancouver BC and using the icer really helps me put up with the discomfort of the less than perfect positioning.
 
I tried to upload this pic but no matter how much I cropped it, it was still too big, so I will just share my Instagram post. The beautiful redhead is my middle daughter.
 
That’s pretty amazing. Pretty scary too (fear of heights kicking in... I’d probably freeze mid-bridge). How is your knee holding up after that hike? One month is still early, and even the best of suspension foot bridges move a bit as you walk.
 
My knee is doing very well. I walked a lot in addition to the bridge and the knee is getting stronger every day. Today will be more driving and walking, taking the ferry to Victoria. Hoping the weather holds out, so far it has been perfect.
 
Last edited:
Very impressive! So glad you are enjoying the trip. I can’t imagine being in a car that long at this point or hiking. Good job
 
Amazing! I would never have thought a month old knee could do that!
 
Ok, I overdid it today! We visited the Butchart Gardens, 20 acres of gardens on Vancouver island near Victoria. I didn't want my daughter to have to push my 200 pound carcass uphill, so I walked uphill and she rolled me downhill. And there was some pretty good uphill spots. I'm a hurting unit tonight but not awful. I'll be fine and it was worth it!
 
Can you have a rest day today, to make up for overdoing it yesterday? Your new knee is still so very new!

Your photo of the Capilano Suspension Bridge brought back happy memories. I chickened out the first time I tried to cross it (don't like heights, or swaying bridges) but I managed it on the second attempt.
 
How awesome! I hope I can do such adventures soon! [emoji175][emoji175][emoji175]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Can you have a rest day today, to make up for overdoing it yesterday?
I had a hard time getting settled down last night but today I seem to be fine. We are going whale watching today, so that will mostly be sitting. It's our last full day of vacation, then tomorrow we start the drive back.
 
Woot woot!! I tried stairs with Righty a few weeks ago and I was able but it hurt so I backed off. Because Righty did the stairs exclusively for 15 months, she still automatically tries to go first and I have to stop her. Last night we stayed at a bed and breakfast that is up a full flight of stairs, and again Righty wanted to try, so today I let her. You guys, she did the whole flight easily and with NO PAIN!!! Lefty still hurts doing stairs! Righty felt strong and sure, and no pain for the first time in 40 years!!!! :happydance::yay::spin::dancy:
 
Righty felt strong and sure, and no pain for the first time in 40 years!!!!
Yahoo! Yippee! What a wonderful blessing! This is quite an achievement for so early in your recovery! What an inspiration to others you are!
 
Well, my trip has come to an end. My knee is quite irritated from two long days in the car but overall I am doing well. I am really looking forward to sleeping in my recliner tonight. I tried the bed last night and woke up with a very unhappy knee. I just had a wonderful time and am glad I took the chance of going so soon after surgery. :angel:
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
I just had a wonderful time and am glad I took the chance of going so soon after surgery. :angel:

Sometimes it's worth it to overdo things a bit!
I'm glad you had a great time.

Give your knee lots of rest, ice, elevation and TLC now, and it should settle down again after your adventure.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom