TKR karol723's Recovery Thread

@karol723
Not eating too many bananas or nuts or dairy? Trad Chinese medicine would have you avoid those for your condition. Bananas are a very portable snack food but a killer on the digestion!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry, @sleepilu ... but research shows just the opposite regarding bananas. They are very easy on the body and recommended for people with digestive problems. If you're going to make these types of statements and recommendations, you need to include links to a source for your information.

https://www.naturalnews.com/031828_bananas_digestion.html
https://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/06/best-and-worst-foods-for-digestion.html
https://www.symptomfind.com/nutrition-supplements/banana-health-benefits/

Dairy, especially yogurt can be good for digestive issues, but for many people with lactose intolerance it's not an option.

Nuts are also a healthy food, but may present problems for people with disorders such as diverticulitis.

@karol723 .... I think your schedule for withdrawal from the Tramadol is just perfect. I do believe you'll see these symptoms diminish as you continue to reduce your dosage. Remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day. It might be helpful to talk with your GP about a probiotic for a couple of weeks since you cannot eat yogurt.

When you have flareups of pain, use Tylenol at 1000mg dosage. This dose can be taken at 4 hour intervals as long as you don't exceed 4000mg in any 24 hour period. Tylenol plus icing can work quite well for pain.
 
Started doing the gentle strength building exercises yesterday. I was surprised at how sore my legs felt later on that day. Makes me realize how much muscle tone I've lost. Guess there's still a lot of work ahead of me. .
This is the way to do it!

From my 1st TKR experience, the full recovery takes 6 months to a full year. In my case it was a full year. Muscles will come back in time, you just need to be patient. All the soft tissues, ligaments, tendons and muscles have traumatized with this surgery. I remember that on a day where I was very active and doing lots of stuff, I realized at the end of the day that I never thought all day about my knee. I was living again a normal life!

Being gentle with the knee will ensure a steady progression!
 
Hi, I seem to be doing OK with the taper so far. Will know better in a couple of days. Tinking of going back to the gym today. Woke up to snow this morning, it is Spring, isn't it ??? May go there this afternoon, after the morning work out people are gone. I didn't sleep that we'll last night, so I may put off te gym till tomorrow. Want to feel good for my first time back. Will decide later, no hurry.
 
Hooray, made it back to the gym this morning! Felt so good to get back there. Although I only did 10 minutes on the bike and a few upper body machines, I can now see a path back to normal life. Iced both knees when I got home, don't want to be in pain later. Sleeping not great lately but I know that will pass in time. Hope everyone has a good day.
 
How are you today after going to the gym?
 
@kneeper, I seem to be doing OK after the gym. I just need to remember to not push myself too quickly. It does seem to be helping with my energy level. Also have been sleeping better, that awful jumpy feeling has not bothered me for te last couple of nights. Don't know if getting some exercise has anything to do with it or not. Going to my mother-in-laws tomorrow for Easter. Hope you have a nice holiday.
 
Feeling very achy in both knees today. Not sure if I've been doing too much or what. Also had a few sharp pains in newest knee. My beagle is having some issues. Had to get up 2x overnight to walk her in our yard. Maybe getting up fast, bending to lrssh her, and going down a couple of steps each time did it. Didn't seem like that much at the time, but.....,..?
 
Karol, how is your little beagle? I hope the tests came out ok. Perhaps you stepped wrong in the night going out? I have noticed that when the weather is rainy I hurt more. Strange since there is no arthritis in the new knee. Try to rest and ice when you are sore. I have found that heat helps when I am "achy".
 
@Timetolive, Weather has been good, no rain so I don't think achy feeling is from that. I'm icing & elevating, took 2 extra strength Tylenol this A M and after dinner. Maybe all that activity overnight and the fact that I was feeling good and doing more just caught up. Hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up feeling better. I'll skip the gym tomorrow and take it easy. I'm almost 17 weeks so I thought I wasn't overdoing it, but the knees aren't agreeing with me . Went to lunch with my grandson, that was a nice change. Daisy had her blood work today to check how her liver handles bile. She is scheduled for a sonogram of her liver on April 6th. She's acting like her usual self, so whatever is going on isn't causing any pain or distress at this point, I'm grateful for that. Will need to see what tests show.
@referee54, do you remember how long it took for your knees to stop having those aches and pains? I know the first tkr has taken alot while the second one was healing, it's just kinds upsetting when they both hurt. Lots of stairs in my house too. Laundry is downstairs and our home business is upstairs. Stairs are still not that easy, especially going downstairs. I'm almost 17 weeks now, hope it's just a matter of time.
 
I think it is just a matter of time - even though time is dragging for you.

It's not unusual for the first knee to complain while the second one is recovering. After all, it's suddenly had to bear a much greater load and be your "good" knee.
 
Hi everyone, doing better after resting my knees & icing more. My LTKR done over a year ago now sometimes gives me a funny little twinge. It's at te top left just over the knee. I mentioned it to the surgeon last time I saw him. He said it was the area where the ligaments or tendon was stitched (I forget which one). He didn't seem concerned. Wonder if it will eventually go away. Anyone else have this ? Usually feel it when going upstairs with that leg.
 
Karol, I am sorry you are having this pain! I have pain at about the same place, although my knee is only about 6 months. The OS old me there was a place at my spot where the tendon had been cut and sutured. I have been massaging the area and using a TENS unit. I hope you can get some relief.
 
@Timetolive,Sounds like the same problem, it will probably pass in time. I guess these issues can go on for some time. Nothing like the pain we've had in the past, thank goodness. My beagle had her 2nd blood test to check for liver bile acids, that came back normal. This Wednesday she will have a sonogram of her liver to check size & color. She is acting like her usual feisty little self, hoping whatever is going on can be treated. Will have to be NPO again on Weds., she's not gonna like that !!! As you know beagles don't like being hungry. It's cold & rainy here today, need to get out of bed, planning to do a little exercise at the gym today. That seems to make me feel better once it's done. Hope you are doing well today too.
 
Karol, I am glad the blood test came back normal! A cold and rainy day is made for resting! Ha! Enjoy your day.
 
Feeling down today. Took my beagle "Daisy" for her liver sonogram. Liver is enlarged& mottled. No masses or cancer, thank goodness. Today is the first day she's not acting like her self, doesn't even want to eat. Tomorrow I. pick up meds to support her liver and antibiotics. Will see how she is doing in a few weeks. Hope she starts eating, this just breaks my heart. Now I'm getting better & this happens. Hopefully the meds will help her, I'm just so down about this. Been crying all day, never cried throughout my 2 TKRS, feeling so helpless!!!
 
:console2:
Two knee replacements within a short period and now a sick beagle. I'm not surprised you're crying! Things have all piled on top of one another. Remember that tears are healing, so go ahead and cry - and then do all you can for your little dog.
 
Cry all you want. It is so hard to see our furbabies suffer. The good news is it isn't cancer. Just as you did with your surgery , try and take one day at a time.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom