Just told yesterday my knees are bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cortisone and synvisc shots stopped working on me too.
Synvisc worked all of three days for me, but I still had to go through the three-shot regimen in both knees. Cortisone, carefully spaced out into three injections in both knees, gave me about eight months of relief prior to my BTKR. The OS did make sure that the cortisone would wear off prior to the BTKR, though---and I was "ouchy" for some time.
 
I recently took my grandchildren to Disney and I rented the electric wheel chair. I would suggest that you rent one in the beginning so you can enjoy yourself without knee pain. If you wait too long after the park opens there may not be any left to rent as they ran out all the days we were there, but I had gotten mine right away in the morning. If I hadn't had the chair I would have ruined everyone's fun! Have a good time.
 
Synvisc worked all of three days for me, but I Cortisone, carefully spaced out into three injections in both knees, gave me about eight months of relief prior to my BTKR. The OS did make sure that the cortisone would wear off prior to the BTKR, though---and I was "ouchy" for some time.

You had 3 injections of cortisone in each knee all at once?
 
@selketine hi there. I had virtually no knee pain, just leg pain, both sides and especially down my shins. Standing for even a few minutes was agony. After 1st TKR pain went except for slight pain at top of shin after a long day. My second one is due 23rd July. My knees also gave occasionally, and made grinding noises. Hope that is helpful.
Jackie
 
Many folks think that they have to be in absolute agony before they have their TKR.

I disagree---some are in awful pain, but many of us see out lives and our lifestyles slowly disappearing and changing into something dysfunctional. Some can get years worth of relief with injections, but that is, in reality, postponing the inevitable.

You will know when "enough is enough,"

Remember---life is to be savored and to be enjoyed---it is not merely meant to be endured.
 
@selketine hi there. I had virtually no knee pain, just leg pain, both sides and especially down my shins.
Jackie

That's very interesting! Mine is similar although sometimes my knee proper is sore. My legs got to be very sore at one point both above and below the knee (mostly on the sides - lateral it may be called). After stopping "exercise walking" and getting the shots that has gotten better. I really haven't gone back to exercising yet. In the course of my normal day I just get twinges and stabs of pain and sometimes feel like I stand on it wrong and it has to adjust back.

I'm going today to try using an elliptical and see how that works. Right now I feel good but then I'm not out exercising like I want to be so.... My goals now are to be able to exercise in some way including cardio and strength, lose some weight, feel like I can walk and go about how I want (even if I do have to rent a w/c like at Disney as an occasional thing), take care of my knees and be mostly without pain.
I guess I'm still in the denial phase of the 7 steps of acceptance of TKR...hahaha! :cheers:
 
Many folks think that they have to be in absolute agony before they have their TKR.

Thanks Ref and Yes! Reading through the posts here it seems like most people are quite a bit worse than I am when they finally have surgery. I think that is part of what I'm struggling with.

What gets me is that I've been ok until this Spring. Perhaps the signs were there but I just thought it was muscle pain from being out of shape (although my legs are in decent shape). It seems sudden to me but in reality I probably did exercise less the past 8 months because of the discomfort during and afterwards.

I don't want to be in agony or atrophy when I have surgery. Before I started losing weight about 2.5 years ago I was in agony (with my knees, feet and back) and I'm just not willing to go back there. I've lost 60 pounds and need 30 more to be at an average. I really do think losing weight has allowed me to keep going this long - but I also think being that much overweight for so long is what made my knees so bad in the first place sadly.

I also wanted to note that my older son (who just graduated high school) is a baseball umpire and loves it!
 
also wanted to note that my older son (who just graduated high school) is a baseball umpire and loves it!
I have umpired now for 42 seasons---I did ref college basketball for 18 seasons prior to my BTKR---I also reffed football for some time, too. Tell your son that it takes a special type of person to officiate!
 
I thought I would post an update and a question on my old thread rather than start another one. I just got back from vacation (to Disney World) and managed well with a scooter and knee braces (some cheap ones from amazon.com but they work great!). I was able to do everything I wanted to without too much pain. We also went to Kennedy Space Center and it's a much smaller space to walk - no problems.

We don't have a full length mirror at home so for the first time in awhile I was able to actually look at my legs and knees and I was amazed - shocked really - on how knock-knee'd I am - especially my right leg which is the more painful one. I knew it was worse than the left but I didn't realize how visibly worse it was...lol! It would be comical if I wasn't standing on top of it!

Also the right knee is a good bit bigger than my left so I'm guessing that is swelling ...is that right? I am trying to ice it down a few times a day. It is noticeably bigger than my left knee. I'm not used to having swelling that doesn't come from an obvious injury (like falling down or bruising). So is this swelling?
 
Sure sounds like swelling to me. Let me get this straight....you went to Disney World and did ok. But that was because you had a scooter and knee braces! If you still have doubts that you might not be ready for TKR because you're not in constant pain like others, hopefully this eye-opener will lay those doubts to rest. Having to use a scooter and knee braces is not normal! Also, you discovered your knees are deformed. Another symptom of later-stage arthritis. After I had my first scope, the PT mentioned in an off-handed way that I had bowed legs. What? I had never noticed! After that I was very aware of how deformed my legs looked and was embarrassed wearing shorts! (I know, very shallow of me, but truly, I became very self-conscious) I hope ice will bring down the swelling and that you're doing better. Please don't be afraid of TKR....you won't believe the difference it will make in your life! In fact, I'm headed for Disney World myself on Friday! I haven't been there in four years because I was no longer able to handle it, and I had gone once or twice a year for over 20 years. I can't wait to spend several pain-free days doing what I used to love!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
My OS removed three "rocks" the circumference of a quarter from my knee. I'm sure they contributed to a size increase for me. Who knows what's going on in that arthritic knee.

According to my OS, my right knee is quite the horror show. We're both anxious for it to be replaced early next year. At least my TKR knee looks (and feels) great!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

My comments on this website are provided for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for advice from your personal physician or surgeon.
 
Sure sounds like swelling to me. Let me get this straight....you went to Disney World and did ok. But that was because you had a scooter and knee braces!

Yes...lol! Believe me I hesitated on getting the scooter and my family couldn't resist making all the jokes. I don't complain (much) about pains and so I guess I have masked it well so far. I suppose I have thought I was just out of shape so that's why my legs and knees hurt so much. I'm actually feeling better than a few months ago. I was able to do everything at Disney and Universal (including the big coasters like The Hulk and the water parks - and did a good bit of walking) and felt great when I got back to the hotel. But you are right - it isn't normal to need a scooter and braces.

My knees (especially the right) are so bent inward it's amazing. I suppose it has happened so slowly I never paid attention or thought it was normal? To put my feet near each other I stand like a Ms. America pose with one front in front of the other...lol! The doctor said I'd need surgery in maybe 2 years so I'm
wondering if he'd even consider doing it earlier. He seemed very insistent on telling me to do it before I lost flexibility and mobility. I would like to do one knee then the other and so I'd want to do the right knee before the left knee gets as bad. I do wonder what it is doing to my posture and balance and so forth.
 
My OS removed three "rocks" the circumference of a quarter from my knee.

Oh wow - perhaps there are some extra growths on mine as well. The right knee does seem to get bigger sometimes so that has to be swelling in part I guess - but it always seems bigger overall than the left.
 
I've chosen to do mine a year apart, resulting in a two year recovery process. That has quickly become mentally daunting, but I think it will work well. My OS recommends at least three months between knees, so he would do my other one now, but it doesn't fit with our travel schedule.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

My comments on this website are provided for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for advice from your personal physician or surgeon.
 
I'm glad you now have a more accurate view of the shape your knees are in. Please don't wait too long to get them replaced. You're very perceptive to notice that that poor knee alignment will impact other joints in your body! If you have any doubts about your need for surgery, get a second (or third) opinion. Some surgeons are more cautious than others about replacing joints in "younger" patients such as yourself. It's a holdover from the days when implants were not expected to last more than 10-15 years. That's not true today and it is better to get them done when the knees say, not when the calendar does!

Some of our BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

Since you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?


If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?


Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries
 
@selketine, before my TKR's I often had sharp pains in my left hip as I walked. I was sure I would need hip replacements as well down the line. In addition, both ankles hurt when I would get up. Guess what?? Since my knee replacements, I have never had hip pain, and my ankles are fine! You had better believe that your knees throw off your gait and affect many other parts of your body! And yes, I'm no longer bow-legged! :yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom