Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR just throwin it out there<'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all

Even if I did not thank you all individually from the bottom of my knees, I appreciate the help more than you know
 
Dennyside, you are doing both training and mobility exercises; as Josephine says, you don't need and shouldn't do any training. Here's a longer explanation https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-operative-exercise-–-the-bonesmart-view.25463/
yes but i am at 5 weeks post op
I am not sure what you mean by this reply, so I shall - at the risk of labouring - repeat the point. 5 weeks is very early days, far too early for training. All you need now is (at most) gentle mobility stretches. Anything that puts force through the knee will probably be counterproductive.
 
Hey Roy it was that Josephine thought I was a couple days post op not 5 weeks. Thanks I do realize I'm trying too much. My biggest dilemma getting up in the morning. Knee s stiff as a board and pain is unbearable. Have not been able to find pain meds. Nothing the Dr gives me works
 
Stiffening up overnight I'd say is clear indication of doing too much. I'd really now do as little as possible daytime; Rest, Ice, Elevate as we always say. Relax, that telly's there, someone has to watch it.
 
I really did nothing yesterday, just a couple of short walks in the house
 
Denny, take a good look at the Activity progression for TKRs because it doesn't seem to really matter your age or level of physical activity prior to TKR, this recovery requires a lot of rest/ice/elevation. If you don't do this early on there's a possibility you will lengthen your recovery. So, if you were too active early in August it may take a week or more of doing nothing to settle your soft tissues down.
 
Still confused about pain meds. Can't find a combo that works The Dr at pain clinic acts like I am making this stuff up and gave me this xtanza and pretty much said that's all she can do. I have nothing for break through pain (oxy and Dilaudid didnt help much) so I guess she's just ruled that out. All I have been doing is ice every 2 hours till the ice pack is gone, approx 1 hour. Don't know if should call PCP or what
 
Denny, call the PCP. Some here do that and have better results than their docs can provide. You might want to also research other pain management techniques like meditation. It can't hurt and might help.
 
If your OS can't help you, yes, try your PCP. Many here have success with a Tramadol/Tylenol combination. Your PCP can prescribe Tramadol.
 
What I was going to say was just that - go see your PCP. Nothing to lose by it. You other doctors don't seem to be doing much for you.

But to be honest, from all that you've said regarding your drug problem (years ago) and so on, I somewhat doubt it will work but again, there's no harm in giving it a try - if your PCP will prescribe it. You can only try.

Assuming you have success there, you should maybe try what I took and often recommend here which is 50-100mg Tramadol with 1,000mg Tylenol 3-4 times a day.
 
ahh at the point where i might regret having done this,,,,,,may be waited i dont know not happy right at this point in time
 
Most TKRs regret having it done until around month 3 or even later. Good news though, if you don't overdo things the surgical pain will go away with time unlike the bone on bone pain post op.
 
Oh @dennyside, I am so sorry you are going through all this pain. I suggest that you ice and elevate all the time you are sitting. I did that. I had a cold water circulator that you fill up with ice of frozen bottles of water that melted and circulated through tubes to a baffle. I had this on all them time, even all night long. This kept my pain level controlled more than the pain meds did. You can find them on Amazon or sometimes used ones on Ebay.

You can't ice too much if you have a thin cloth between you and the ice receptacle. Keep those knees above your nose and the ice on them all them time and I bet your pain level will decrease.
 
good morning all just back from lite pt feelin pretty good for now .got ice also they goin to put in for me to get tens machine whoooohoooo even though you can buy them cheap dont have any xtra cash to spare cause dont know how long i be out
 
Jeez, @dennyside, just read your thread, I'm one of your bilat buddies, mine was done on June 30th so I'm at 10 weeks and back to work this week, half days.
I really followed the BS bible for the first 5-6 weeks, minimal PT, constant elevation and icing.
I pretty much iced around the clock.
Anyway, I just wanted to reassure you - IT WILL GET BETTER!
Keep sharing anything you need to, especially your partner frustrations, I've had my share of those, too.
The folks here have your back.
 
Hang in there. I've also heard many people say they wish they'd never had the surgery. Usually this happens in the first two months, especially the first, and then they come around later and say "Hey, now I'm really glad I did this!" Having both knees done at the same time is a really rough early recovery. Give yourself a few more weeks and chances are you'll experience less pain, more mobility, and a whole lot more energy.

At one month out, I was still in pain upon standing or walking. I was using a walker still, sometimes a cane.
At two months out I was in much less pain and I was walking a few blocks using a cane.
At three months out I was in almost no pain (my left knee lagged behind my right) and walking a mile.
At four months out I am in no pain. Some stiffness upon rising from sleep or a seated position. I walk for miles.

And like Nancy, I elevated and iced all the time. Still do after any exercise and every night before bed. :sleep:
 
i had no idea what was involved before hand..my fault wasnt prepared
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom