THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey LuLu! Sorry you're having some residual pain. It does sound like you're standing quite a bit. I thinkI read from Jo: during recovery, don't stand when you can sit; don't sit if you can lay down, and don't stay awake if you can sleep. I wouldn't worry about your sleep patterns too much as long as you are getting good sleep when you do go down. I know it makes it tough for your sister to get things prepped for you, but you'll find it gets a little easier moving around the kitchen after a while. Just make sure she can pull the things within reach for a while yet. The schedule is probably pretty weird for Bumper too, but they're pretty adaptive. Don't feel guilty about slugging around for a while as you recover. I took it really easy during my recovery and I'm feeling quite good at almost 12 weeks. I stayed on my pain meds for about 4 weeks until I could transition over to my NSAID. This last week I transitioned from the strong rx NSAID to an advil/tylenol combo (Bonesmart cocktail). You'll be able to get your clock turned around leading up to your return to your regular schedule.

Transitioning to increased wb is interesting, but when you get the green light, do take your time and don't rush it. That's what they refer to as weight bearing as tolerated. You won't be ready to do it unaided. We all test it but be careful. It does get better very day. So do you visit the OS ar the 4 or 6 wk mark? Either way don't worry it will be there before you know it.

Sending you continued good healing vibes your way!

dede62 Hi dede, Thanks for the encouragement. I have a 4 week and a 8 week follow up. So I guess I'll find out if I can get rid of my wb restriction at that time. He said 4-6 weeks but he seemed to be unsure if what he saw was real or just an artifact of some type. I hope the next x-ray is more definitive.
I had a friend visit and bring some dim sum today. I think I'm getting my appetite back, I have to watch that. I've been pretty good so far, I don't feel that I've gained any weight anyway. I guess I can't tell because I just have been wearing loose fitting clothing. The dim sum was pretty good from downtown China town.
Do you work, if so, are you back to work yet? I hear some people go back to work really early. I would think the first couple weeks will be difficult in both energy and pain. I guess I'm not in a position to judge that yet.

Jaycey Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure if this is energy drain or something else. When I'm up in the kitchen first thing in the morning for the last 3 mornings. I get up get washed up and get some coffee and food for breakfast, I'm only up for a total of 10-15 mins. I'm just dead by the time I get back to the couch, like I've been doing a whole day of physical activity. I kinda feel like you do when your BP drops. I'm not having any bleeding or nothing else unusual. Is this what the energy drain feels like or maybe something else? It only seems to happen in the morning. After I rest for about an hour I'm OK and later in the day I can do my excercises and walk a bit without feeling like that. Has anybody else felt like this during their recovery. I'll probably call the OS office on Monday and let them know, see what they have to say. The nurse is drawing my INR every 3-4 days and takes my BP it's always a little on the low side normally, maybe that has something to do with it.

TIRED 1.jpg
TIRED.jpg
Yes, Lulu, what you are experiencing is Energy Drain. Your body is using almost all your energy to heal and is leaving you very little to spare for any activity but resting. Take a look at this from the library
Energy Drain for THRs

As the days go by and more healing takes place, there will be a little more energy for you to do some other things---but right now---rest, rest, rest and let the body heal, heal, heal.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. valentine cat 8.jpg

Hi Lulu,

I didn't realize you were all alone. It's hard. I'm in the same boat. I have a good friend caring for me, but worry about it getting to be too much. I also hated asking her to run for groceries. At least she's keeping a tab.

And the days get long when it's you, and books, or the computer or TV. And if friends come by you feel like you need to entertain. Somewhere I read about asking friends to maybe do one or two things so you spread the work out.

What does 75% weight bearing mean? That you use a walking or crutches and keep most of your weight off the operative leg? I'm so sorry you ended up with a fracture.

Since you're in the US, you may want to try the Safeway delivery service for food and home items. I used my first time free credit and had about $100 worth of food delivered. No asking anyone to do it for me, and they bring it in. I had a delivery 2 hours ago and really liked it. It's not that expensive, so I may use it a few more times. People in the US can go to www.safeway.com and get going. I also belonged to an organic food delivery service in the past. We have a lot of options if we're close to a metro area on the West Coast. Probably food delivery is getting popular anywhere there's a good size metro area.

And rest as you need to; your body will surprise you after you take a break. Recovery isn't a steady uphill climb. I just don't post so much here when I'm tired, but that's me. I retreat to bed and watch movies or read -- or sleep. Our bodies tell us what we need.

So be good to yourself, and keep in mind this is temporary. The reason I don't have such a case of the blues is I've been through this before, and know I'll be better soon, besides do you really want to be out in the rain? We had a lovely day down here yesterday, and that was HARD, because as a NorthWesterner, we want to be out every time the sun shines. But you picked the right time of the year for this, because we'll be out playing in the Spring :).

Hope you feel better soon.

HappyHippy

Lulu, yes I've been back to work. I started back after 6 weeks and was fortunate to have 2 short weeks when I came back (week between Xmas and New Years and New Year's week. If it was a regular week I think I would have either done half days or every other day for those two weeks.

I was lucky enough to have my husband home with me during my recovery so I really let him do a lot for me those first few weeks. He held on to some things as long as he could and I had to remind him that I would have to be able to do some things on my own, so he relinquished things grudgingly. I am grateful that I had him there in those early days else I definitely would have experienced more energy drain. I have a brother on the east coast that would have come out had I needed him to.

My blood pressure ran low pretty much the whole time I was off from work. It's normally low anyway, but it was at least 10 points lower during recovery. They were OK with it because I wasn't experiencing any dizziness. Make sure you're getting some good lean proteins in your diet. Not only will it help with the energy drain, it also helps with the muscle healing. Not sure if you have any special dietary needs, but something simple like turkey or roast beef lunch meat or if your sister can cook up some boneless chicken breasts for you that you can have with a salad could be good. The chicken won't take more than about 12-15 minutes to cook up.

Hopefully the xray in a couple weeks will be clearer and you can move on with the recovery a little less restricted. The main restrictions probably won't be lifted til about the 6 week mark.

Are you taking any blood thinner medication? It made me very dizzy and tired when I took it every morning. But in answer to your question - yes what you are feeling is the energy drain. Just take things slow and steady. Don't worry about the washing up until you feel up to it.

Jaycey I'm on coumadin does it cause dizziness? I am on Meloxicam, I was wondering if that would cause dizziness, it is an antinflamatory but it has the warnings of increased risk of MI or stroke, so I stopped taking it for a few days but I don't see an improvement. I think you are right, I might just need to get my coffee and go back to the couch and sit for a while before I wash up. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Lulu

Wow, I didn't realise cockatoos lived that long! So you have a friend for life there don't you. Nobody likes to ask for help.....especially us women.....we're rubbish at it! But I'm sure your neighbour would be happy to come in and throw a blanket over Bumper. I really don't think it's too much to ask.
Just wondered how you are feeling on the emotional front? I'm just over 4wks out now and feel like I've hit a wall. I'm sure my body is mending in ways that I can't see, but I still feel a little bit low due to it all being such slow progress. It's so frustrating having to stick to all these rules...........Especially when you've always been a rule breaker!!!

Give bumper a squark from me.

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxx

Hi Lulu,

You sound like you have my sister. I'm too far away from her to ask for any help this time, a good friend is, and she's much kinder. I'm the one who worries about asking for too much, especially shopping.

I'm wondering if you might be able to devise some tool to get the blanket on your bird's cage, or use one of assistive tools. Do you have a grabber? You might be able to fold the blanket 1/2 to 2/3 over, and see if you can hoist it up - leave a slightly shorter side on top and once you get it up, pull the other side down. I use my tools in lots of creative ways! I like asking the neighbor better. It's safer.

Hope you are mentally feeling better, and I can see how having a caregiver make you feel like you could lose help at any point wouldn't make you feel good. All I had to do was imagine my sister taking care of me, and immediately I felt down.

Is it too late to get a bath aide or other Home Health? I had it set up this time when I said I was living alone and was a fall risk. I did fall last replacement about 4 months out and broke a few ribs. Maybe if you tell your Dr. via his nurse that you're worried about losing help, then tell them what your sis is saying, and also reinforcing you live alone and getting dizzy or feeling unsteady, they may prescribe it. It's worth a try if you're interested.

Good luck, girl!

Hi Lulu,
That must have been such a terrible shock to lose your boyfriend so suddenly I am so sorry.
Bumper sounds like a lovely girl -I believe they can be a bit feisty. I remember years ago when we lived in Dorset my husband and I were in a large pet store and there was a beautiful cockatoo on a perch there with a very large sign underneath warning you not to touch this bird as he would possibly bite. Always one for a challenge my husband raised his hand to stroke the bird's chest and spent a very painful few minutes with his index finger firmly clamped in its powerful beak, eyes watering, trying to look as though he didn't feel like a total idiot, until one of the staff managed to free him! Lesson learnt!!
This sleeping business is a pain isn't it. I've been waking up in the night with headaches on the right hand side of my head and the sound of my pulse beating in my ear for about the last week or so. It's driving me mad, I'd give anything for a good night's sleep. Talking of which I shall now attempt the impossible- but there again I do have an episode of The Mentalist to watch......
Take care Lulu
Anne x

Lulu,

I think you're better than my family, so I'll put you in the good friend category. I even lost a boyfriend, like you - it was my first real love to a head injury from a bicycle accident 35 years ago. It took awhile before I could love again, and I think it still affects my ability to get close to someone. I've been married and divorced, but haven't liked dating post-divorce. Sometimes I wish I found a soulmate when young and kept them, but it wasn't meant to be. Now I like having things my way, and it's hard to think about romance when recovering from a Hip Replacement.

I'll have to check into the rental, sounds perfect.

And don't Cockatoos live almost as long as we do? I had a friend who had several and those big beaks are daunting, but the birds have high needs for attention and it must be hard for yours. Still glad you're having a good day. I had my bath aide finally show. They said I needed one when I was released from the hospital, but my nurses have been covering while waiting for the paperwork. Now I'm almost independent. But things are going well. Hope you continue to have good days!

HH

Hi Lulu. I just read your thread. I was thinking about your issue with Bumper. Is there a local teen who might come in to help with her for a few dollars a day? Maybe the vet knows a bird lover who might volunteer to help out a little. Maybe a local girl guide troupe might even send in kids who are trying to get their pet lover badge! Check out the local volunteer bureau. It doesn't hurt to ask. Lots of students applying for college courses need to show they have logged lots of community volunteer hours. I know all this because until I was sidelined by the hip thing, I used to run a volunteer care team to help terminally ill people who wanted to die at home. We faced all sorts of odd challenges and found that there are people out there willing to help with virtually any problem. Just a thought. Take care. Vicki

@vida Hi Vicki. That is a thought. I'll look into that, we have a nice community here and your right that would be a good way to take some pressure off my sister too. My sister did come over tonight and she was in a better mood. As I mentioned, when she wants to be, she can be very nice. I just don't like to be so dependent on anyone especially when you know at any moment it can change. It's better to be prepared in case things do go south. I'll look and see what I can find. I am a bit worried about liability though. Thanks for the suggestion. It should only be a few more weeks before I can take care of things on my own.

Hi ladies(luluohio, Vida and HappyHippy)

Thank goodness for friends eh? Well, they always say you can't chose your family. My own family has certainly had its share of 'issues', but I'd never go so far as to describe any of them as toxic. Over the years, I'm ashamed to say that I have often felt extremely sorry for myself in the health department but reading your posts has made me appreciate my family more and made me feel not so 'unlucky'.....if you get my meaning. Don't get me wrong we're not perfect by a long shot, but in times of need we're there for each other. I'm truly very sorry that you feel uncomfortable asking them for help. Sounds like in some cases you'd rather chop your arm off than do so!!!

On the upside you all seem to have turned out lovely!! We all have a story or two to tell. Its true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I look forward to hearing the kind words of wisdom that you are all dishing out to us folks on the rocky road to recovery. I don't know how I would've got through without all you super Bonesmarters.

Keep smiling

Queenie xxx

How are you doing today, Lulu? Glad to hear you are mixing it up with having friends help you. I know your sis has a lot going on, but I never consider it an excuse for bad behavior. But there's no reason to stir up trouble if there isn't any. Just keep working on doing better every day and letting us know if you're having a tough time.

I'm an HGTV junkie, and they 're looking for a property in the Seattle area - reminding me just how expensive it's become. Portland isn't that far behind. And I'm looking at things to buy, but am keeping the credit card in the wallet for now. I can see how online shopping could become a habit ;)

Be well.

H.H.

I'm feeling pretty good. I'm cutting down the pain meds and finally. I'm still pretty couch bound but up and around the house a bit more. Still walking with my walker my first follow up is next week. I hope my wb restrictions will be lifted.
It seems like forever to recover and so much longer to go. It will be a month Monday, I'm so happy to have that behind me. I'm doubling up on my PT exercises to get stronger, to prepare for when I can get rid of this walker.
Got my legs shaved today. Boy that felt good! I never went a entire month without shaving my legs. It's usually every day.

Getting the extra- hairy legs shaved for the first time is amazing! You'll soon be able to do it yourself, tape a razor to a wooden spoon for reaching down your operated leg! How is your pet birdie doing?

Vida, Yes I didn't even realize they were that hairy. My sister kept making comments when I took my showers but I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see how bad they were. Me-Ape woman! I can't imagine doing that with a wooden spoon it sounds dangerous. (I bet there is a lot of up coming innovations for us baby boomers, we need more tools for hip percautions. Could get rich, I think a lot of people would buy it.) My sister did it and went through 2 razors, one for each leg. I couldn't believe it.
I remember once when I was on a trip I shaved my legs for 3 days in a row and they kept getting hairer and hairer, I didn't have my glasses on then either. I found out the cap was on the razor. I thought that was pretty funny. I always double check now. My legs still need some work but they look and feel a lot better.
My incision is looking very good. My OS did a good job.
Bumper is doing well and everything is going smoothly. She is getting use to staying in the cage and seeing me on the couch all day. She is such a good girl.
I do feel like I'm a lot lazier than most others but this is what my OS wants me to do. I guess this is slow and easy, I'll get there sooner or later, not in a rush anyway.
Bumper is doing well, she is getting use to seeing me on the couch and seems to be accepting it better. My sister has been down every night and brings her over to visit, for about an hour each night and she seems to be OK with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom