THR Just got back yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have a wound drain? I have observed that people who don't can often have a problem with drainage or haematoma which can suddenly open up and drain. Keep it covered with a sterile dressing and don't be over active for a few days and it will dry and heal. It might not have given up draining yet, though, so don't worry.
 
Did you have a wound drain? I have observed that people who don't can often have a problem with drainage or haematoma which can suddenly open up and drain. Keep it covered with a sterile dressing and don't be over active for a few days and it will dry and heal. It might not have given up draining yet, though, so don't worry.

Joe you got that one spot on, had to go back to the royal as i got my staples out at the docs. Gp nurse wasn't keen to take the staples out next to the leakage.
She did and low and behold this tiny bit of my scar started to leak low and behold three hour wait in a&e for steri strips and a fresh change. Doc advised my wife had made an excellent job and it seemed to be drying off.
When he changed it and i got home it was back to square one so i had to lay on my good side with a towel doubled over my wound to stop the sheets getting all blood.
I phoned the advise line the following morning and advised of my concerns, talk about the left hand not knowing what the right is doing:th_DOH:I was sure while leaving after op they told me a nurse woul be out to take out my staples, but doc the other day told me to make an appointment at my local gp which i did and got the staples out.
When i emphasised my concerns they advised they would get a district nurse out to take a blood sample. low and behold a disrict nurse turned up at the front door to take my staples out, when i advised and gave an update she changed my dressing instead and informed it was a heamatoma and it would have to drain but stessed the scar looks fine.
The nurse was coming back Monday but when she realised that I had an appointment at the docs with the nurse she felt that was fine and if there was any ongonging concerns the doc could check it out.
One step forward two steps back just now :th_DOH:
 
Goodness me! What a confusion. But one thing: nurses and doctors outside the orthopaedic wards generally have no idea what's going on this these wounds!
 
Do you mean doctors and nurses dont have a clue with these wounds outside orthepedic , if so do i try and contact the hospital or with just go with my gp and district nurse.
​
 
I do but I was referring to the 'left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing' thing. Most nurse are okay to redress a wound and all that kind of thing but as to knowing why things have happened or what the implications are, that requires very specialised knowledge and experience! Your GP and district nurse will be fine so long as you don't expect them to explain what's happened and why.
 
Cheers Jo back at the nurse tomorrow for a check up but this constant leaking is startin to get me down wish it would just dry up.
I sit still in the hope it won't seep then when I make any movement whatsoever it starts leaking.:hissyfit:
Run out of penicillin tomorrow so will have to speak to the nurse about this in the morning.
Fingers crossed this will dry up soon.
 
Hmmmmmmm.......I bet he can;t take it easy.....I bet he doesn't even know how.......:WINK1: ( A little reverse psychology)? :WINK1:...lol

Take care Forbesy.....behave for wife.
 
I wouldn't worry about the leaking. It's all good. If it didn't leak out that fluid would just pool in the wound and provide a nice little home for bugs to make themselves at home!
 
Nurse said it is looking good and took a swab and is sending it off for testing she advised I am through the worst of it now and the hole is about the size of the top of a matchstick.
She advised that it is the penicillin that is making me sick and is has a tendency to do that. Due to go back and get it checked on Wednesday as they want to keep an eye on me.
Promise Nadine will try my best to behave.:THUMB:
 
Went along to the local shops today and seemed to manage ok still feel a bit stiff lower back but got there and back, feel I still walk with a bit of a swagger
[ does that mean I might pull at the local shops :th_heehee:]
May try a walk round the block tomorrow.:WINK1:
 
You never know your luck! Just flash your shiny new hip at them!
 
Oh what I would do for a nice hot Radox bath Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm:WINK1:
 
Know just how you feel. I managed to have a bath a couple of days before 6 weeks. My main worry was that I wouldn't be able to get out!! I chose a day when my strong son was around as I thought if the worse happens him and my husband would have to lift me out. As it happens I managed quite easily. Really missed having a relaxing soak.
Cathy
 
Another reasonable day always feel better in the morning [ Is that how most of you feel] but have noticed that I hit a brick wall round about three in the afternoon and for the first time tonight I had a nap on the couch that's a first.
Playing catch up with my exercises as I have been worried about the leakage and didn't want blood all over my bed sheets.
I have started to ice my scar a bit more often.
 
I think 3pm is the perfect time for a nap. Siesta time .....I often think I'd like a one when I'm at work. I'm 8 else post op now and haven't felt the napping need for a couple of weeks now. Go with the flow for now I think.

Lisa
 
Yes, that was my time as well! Also 11am, 1pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm ....... :th_heehee:

forbesy, please, please put your surgery date in your signature.
 
RTHR 22/02/11

Had a better day today and went along and back to the shops twice and to my father in laws along the road and back and went round the block.
My back still feels stiff and when I stand up it seems to release and feel better.
Jo don't know if that was what you were after if not you better get my idiot guide out.:scratch:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom