TKR Just curious

Hi All! Just curious about stationary bikes....now that I am able to slowly do full rotation, I join my local rec center to be able to do some bike exercises more since I only have pt 2 times a week. Today was my first time at the rec center and I used the recumbent bike. Normally at pt I have been using the regualt upright bike. I noticed that the recumbent was much tougher to navigate than the regular upright. Has anyone who is currently able to do the stationary bike noticed this or experienced this as well. Hope every one has a wonderful weekend and sending comforting healing vibes to all!
 
Hi all....I am almost post 5 months from my LTKR and wanted to ask what is the longest time it took for anyone to achieve "0" extention?
 
I can't say definitively that this is "the longest" it took anyone -- but with my right knee it was something like 10 months post-op before I could comfortably manage full extension of my leg.

For most of us, extension does take longer to come back than flexion. But there is no limited window for ROM. The best thing to do is to try not to focus on it (you'll make yourself crazy), but do keep moving --and you will get there.
 
@benne68 Thank you....and you're about driving myself crazy with focusing too much on the number. It's almost like ptsd every time I get measured at PT. Which they have been great slowly working with me.
 
With my second knee I took what I learned from my first: nobody on my orthopedic team ever asked for or measured my numbers. They watched me walk in, asked me how it was going, looked at me swing my leg around, and done.
So I focused totally on functional milestones and capabilities since, really, that’s what it’s about!
 
Checking to see how you are doing, @Photogoddess. It's been a few weeks since your last post. I'm wondering how things are working out with recumbent bike? Has it become easier?

Give us an update when you have a moment.
 
Hi @benne68...thanks for checking in. I am doing well. Still working on my ROM with my physical therapist, who has been extremely great. Slow and making progress. I went back to work on 2/18 with a reduced schedule for 2 weeks, and this week was my first full time week. I work 4 10hr days and have Fridays off, but it has proven to be too much right now for me. Never realized how long 10hrs really is until I had the knee replaced. Anyway, I am going back to reduced schedule for the remaining of March, and gradually work up to the 10hrs. I no longer use the recumbent bike. I have been using the regular stationary bike at PT and my rec center with good results. So all in all I am moving in the right direction making progress each step of the way. Hope you are doing well and thanks again for reaching out. Have a wonderful evening.

Polly
 
So happy to read that you are doing well and seeing progress, @Photogoddess. Remember that this recovery can take a full year or longer. Slow and steady wins the race.

That work schedule does sound like a lot -- 10 hours! -- glad you are able to go back to the reduced schedule for the rest of the month. Listen to your knee and be sure not to overdo the gym when you are working long days.

We are here if you need us.
 
Hi Polly,
Ten hours days...whew! Without a new knee that's a lot. It is understandable that you were struggling upon your return. Thankfully you have the flexibility to slowly transition back into your regular schedule.
If you're on your feet a lot at work, hopefully you can take some sitting breaks, or you're able to modify work duties to avoid straining your knee. If you sit a lot, try to take short breaks to walk and stretch to avoid stiffness
Hopefully icing and elevating after work brings you some relief. It's not too late for either.
Best wishes as you continue healing. I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Photogoddess
 
Thank you @Layla ....I do mostly sitting but it's is also getting up and down a lot. But I do set timers to walk every hour and stretch, work has been very accommodating for me. I do ice and elevate when I get home and do gentle exercises. Hope you have a lovely weekend and take care!

Polly
 
But I do set timers to walk every hour and stretch, work has been very accommodating for me.
You are so blessed to have a company that will work with you. Many people don't have that. It's a good idea to get up and walk every hour, like you are doing. You are definitely headed in the right direction!
 
I have had knee problems all my life and had had 11 knee surgeries before I found Bonesmart. It was 6 months before my TKR. I always had recovered the Bonesmart way, even having no formal PT after all my surgeries. Being 'read-up' on what to expect after my replacement helped to ease my worries. Knowing how scary this recovery is has led me to stay here to help others. It will be 10 years in December that I've been a member, and I hope to stay another 10 years!
 
Hi...just wanted to give an update on where I am at. I am 6.5 months out from my tkr-l. Currently my rom is flexion 103 extension 8. I am still dealing with swelling, (see pics) which I know can last quite a long time, and feel this is causing the slow progress on my rom. My surgeon is still very happy with my progress and told me to keep working at it. In one of the pics you will see a bandaid on my inscion, this area refused to heal right due to my body not liking the dissolvable stitches. I only need to keep this on with apply medihoney to it for a couple more weeks and it will be done healing finally. Then I can start aquatics and hot tub therapy. It does get discouraging at times at how slow I am progressing, but I know this will not last forever. I am happy that I am moving in the right direction all in all, despite slowly. Just wanted to encourage anyone dealing with slow progress to not give up, just give yourself time and rest and be good to yourself. It will eventually happen.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.
Polly
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Just curious
    20250415_093443.webp
    57.8 KB · Views: 53
  • [Bonesmart.org] Just curious
    20250415_093428.webp
    112 KB · Views: 50
I’m glad to read that you are confident that you will recover, albeit slowly. You go, girl! :yes!:

Some of us take longer than others. I’m so glad your doctor is happy with your progress, that is such a blessing! We all need our medical teams to be encouraging.

Best wishes as you continue healing.
 
Oh yes, you can see the swelling. Are you icing and elevating enough? Doing so will help that swelling go down. Getting that down will also help with stiffness and discomfort.

It's good that your doctor is happy with your recovery. That always eases our minds!
 
Hi Photogoddess!
Thanks for stopping by with an update. Happy Seven Month Anniversary! Only a couple days away. You're right about the swelling, it can last up until a year post op. I agree with, sistersinhim, about the icing and elevation, it should help. Some great news that your surgeon is pleased with your progress and small area of your incision is almost healed. Getting back to aquatics and hot tub therapy will be such a wonderful milestone for you.
It was very thoughtful to share your progress and encourage those coming up behind you that recovery is not a "one size fits all" You've worked hard and brighter days are on the horizon.
Wishing you a wonderful Spring / Summer 2025! :SUNsmile:
@Photogoddess
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom