Guest viewing is limited

TKR Just curious

@Photogoddess I know 3 months seems like a long time, but many of us experience soft tissue pain for months post-op. I had it -- also medial -- up until about 6 months out and it was usually worse at night when I was trying to sleep. I did a lot of self-massage to try to find relief.

I don't think it's anything to worry about -- especially if the Xrays show that the implant is good. Most likely what you are experiencing is pain from the ligaments and tendons relearning what they are supposed to do.

Remember that, prior to surgery, as our knees deteriorate, our bodies make adjustments to ease the pain. We start limping, favoring the leg or splaying our foot out to the side. We live with that bad alignment for so long that, when the knee is fixed and our alignment is corrected, all the surrounding tissue has to adapt.

It can be painful and frustrating, but it does get better. It just takes time.
 
Most likely what you are experiencing is pain from the ligaments and tendons relearning what they are supposed to do.
Agree with @benne68 it is most likely ligaments or tendons.
I had medial pain on stairs for months after my PKR. In my case it was due to my leg have become very twisted with valgus ( knock knee) deformity as my lateral compartment collapsed with arthritis. This made the MCL very overstretched and weak. It took a long time and lots of quad strengthening once I was up to it- to get it back into some kind of shape
 
Thank you so much @benne68 and @EalingGran for your encouraging words, it was what I needed to hear. Sometimes when I am in the midst of crying from the pain I feel like I am the only one, which I know I am not, but you get what I am saying. I talked to my doc today and he said to keep pushing through but don't kill yourself, it takes time. So thank you so much! Happy Holidays!! :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon::merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
Most likely what you are experiencing is pain from the ligaments and tendons relearning what they are supposed to do.
Agree with @benne68 it is most likely ligaments or tendons.
I had medial pain on stairs for months after my PKR. In my case it was due to my leg have become very twisted with valgus ( knock knee) deformity as my lateral compartment collapsed with arthritis. This made the MCL very overstretched and weak. It took a long time and lots of quad strengthening once I was up to it- to get it back into some kind of shape
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey sorry about the auto correct typo..I meant it was what I needed to hear. So sorry!!
 
Merry Christmas everyone! Hope today is a good day for y'all and getting to eat some good food and enjoying good company!

I've got a non-knee related question, but I think it pertains to the surgery...I have noticed that I have been losing a lot of hair. I have a full head of long hair, but when combing it I see a lot coming out. No bald spots or anything, but just curious if this is from the major surgery and if anyone else has experienced this?

Take care
:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Hello Photogoddess and Merry Christmas to you too!

You are not alone..here is an article on the topic of hair loss -

Enjoy the rest of the day!
 
I think physical stress can definitely affect hair and nail growth but it generally settles OK.
At about 5 months after my PKR I had a serious illness ( strep A septicaemia).
A few months later I was having a pedicure. The beauty therapist asked me if I was very ill a few mont hs earlier.
I said yes- but asked how she knew.
She pointed to some ridged horizontal lines on my big toes and said she had been taught about these at Beauty College but hadn't seen them before.
I looked it up and they are called Beau lines.
My nails have now regrown fine. I didn't notice hair issues but I have very thick hair and tend to shed a bit anyway. Good luck.
 
Hi all and Happy New Year!! I wanted to give an update on my progress. At 3.5 months post I am doing pretty well. ROM is just past 100, measured yesterday at PT. Extention is still slow going, but heading in the right direction. I measured at 11. I bought this tool called the IdealKnee and it has really helped me with my extension. I do it very carefully and talked with my physical therapist, actually took the tool into to show her, and she was ok with me using it slowly. So I do it 5x and hold it for 10 secs 2-3 times a day. No pain with using it. I am also starting to walk without the cane around the house for now and it's going well. Since I am from Pennsylvania we are in the middle of winter, so I still take it out with me. One thing of note, as many have seen in some of my older posts, I still am dealing with the medial pain, it isn't constant, but when it hits, it is pretty intense. Still hoping that this will go away in time since it really affects my extension. All in all I am glad I had the surgery and look forward to continuing to heal the bonesmart way and be patient with it. (Sometimes this is hard to do). My short term disability ends on 1/12, and I am still on the fence a little on asking for an extension, just a little more time before going back to work. We shall see. Sorry this is so long. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and is doing well!

Thank you to all the Bonesmart folks who constantly help out and run this site. You are all very much appreciated! :tada:
 
My extension lagged behind my bend, too. What helped me most was walking with a much longer stride, (while holding on to something), with a heel to toe gait. Walking this way helped to stretch out those large tendons and muscles behind my knee. My extension improved, but not overnight! Patience it the key.
 
still am dealing with the medial pain, it isn't constant, but when it hits, it is pretty intense. Still hoping that this will go away in time since it really affects my extension
Is there any pattern to the medial pain?
I had this too. Mine was mainly on stairs which I struggled with for months.
In my case it was due to a chronically overstretched MCL which took a lot of gradual strength work to improve.
If you were valgus ( knock kneed) before your surgery- then the MCL will have got stretched and weak.
 
Have you seen your surgical report? I ordered mine from the hospital because I was having medial pain also. It was the last pain to go. When I read I report, I saw that my surgeon had done a medial release. Well, that certainly explained my long-lasting pain! Tendons take much longer to heal than other soft tissues. I suggest you get your report and see if that is what your doctor did during surgery.

Here is an explanation of a lateral release. Medial is the same, just on the opposite side of your knee.
Lateral Release Explained
 
Hi @sistersinhim. Thank you for that suggestion. I didn't know you could get the report. I am going to do that. He said he had to some more work in that area to get my leg straight, so it is quite possible he did the same as you had. Also, I remember from prior post of others how you suggested doing longer strides and I have actually been doing that along with my new aid. Thank you so much for your reply and encouragement! Have a wonderful day!
 
After reading about sisters suggestion to get the surgery report, I also asked for mine, at my one year check up. I was surprised to read that my surgeon did a lateral release while doing my PKR, which I’m sure complicated my recovery, as rehab efforts that I read about at that time for the lateral release were different from rehab for a PKR. I had “one size fits all” rehab which was not in my best interest. I wonder if my PT even knew about the release.
 
Hi @Jockette...I am super curious now. My surgeon did my right knee 15 years ago and it is doing fine....but this knee seems definitely different, which I know each knee is, but you know what I mean. I am going to call Monday and request my notes.
 
You had 15 more years of damage to your new knee, and I bet it is why your recovery is different.
 
Hi all.....I wanted to share some exciting news....today at physical therapy I was able to make a full rotation on the stationary bike!!!! This is a HUGE milestone for me!!!! I am beside myself right now, so happy and emotional lol! :yay:Happy continued healing to all of you!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom