TKR Just curious

Oh, your knee looks so much better! Way to go. Swimming, here you come!
 
Hi all...just checking in. My inscion looks great now. Scheduled my last few weeks of PT and making steady progress. ROM is at 106, but I think it is much more since that was measured after doing exercises. One thing I am dealing with the past few days is right side back pain that is causing me to take a break from doing too much of any pt. I've called off work yesterday and today. Been going to the chiropractor as well. So I am thinking it is ok to take a few days away from doing pt. Trying not to let my mind obsess too much about that. Gotta get the back better before doing anything else. Other than that, things are moving slow and steady. And I just want to let folks know to keep going, this isn't a speedy recovery and patience is definitely the key word. You will get there. Take care!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Just curious
    20250603_042054.webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 35
Yes..it's looking good!
You're doing great aside from struggling with back pain. I am sorry for that. :console2:
It is wise that you're stepping back from PT...you're listening to your body, as you should, so please don't obsess over doing what's best for you right now. Thanks for the update and your encouraging words to others. I hope your back pain eases soon.
@Photogoddess
 
When you are at home, you are actually doing natural PT, so you're still getting your exercising done, just in a different way! That all I did for my recovery, natural PT.
 
One thing I am dealing with the past few days is right side back pain
I experienced back pain as I recovered from my second, too. My physical therapist said it was caused by my body trying to adjust to the realignment of my hips caused by the knee replacement. He gave me some very targeted exercises for the low back to do and had me stop most other exercises. It took a few weeks, but the pain lessened and then disappeared.

If you have a therapist who does total body rehab, you might discuss your problem with him/her to see if you can get some help.
 
Hi...now that my inscion is finally healed what is the best ointment for it? My RTKR 16 years ago. I used vitamin E. I was curious if there is anything better now?
 
Hi @Photogoddess Vitamin E is a great option that many of our members use. Others swear by silicone strips (like ScarAway).

Just be sure to keep the incision protected from the sun until it is at least a year old. My team recommended keeping it covered with clothing since sunscreen isn't 100% protective.
 
Thank you @benne68 truly appreciate it. I have never used silicone straps and will give that a try. Have a great day!
 
Some of the more common creams and lotions mentioned here and used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.
Have a great Saturday, Photogoddess!
@Photogoddess
 
Hi...just checking in with a little update. I am finally done with out patient PT as of June 30th. 9 months of out patient therapy along with doing my at home pt. I have now switched to aqua therapy and stationary bike along with leg machines 3x a week. Where I do aqua therapy 2 days of those 3 days a week, if that makes sense. The other days are just doing daily activities and work. One thing I continue to notice is I feel that there is still some internal swelling which stops me from bending fully. I really is like hitting a brick wall. Since my right knee was done so long ago, I can't remember if this is normal at 9 months? I am sure I have read posts here that mention swelling can last longer, but wasn't sure if that included internal swelling as well. So all in all I am still making slow and steady progress. Sending healing vibes to all and hang in there.

Take care
Polly :)
 
Glad to hear you’re doing so well with your recovery. It is possible to have internal swelling that you don’t see for extended periods of time….like a year or more.

Does your knee bend enough for you to do the things you want to do?
 
It does bend for most daily things @Jamie but coming down stairs is still a challenge for me on most days. Going up is pretty good, but, coming down isn't. I have been pushing myself slowly to go down the stairs normally while holding onto the railing. I also notice that sitting at work keeping it bent and then getting up to walk every hour, the knee still take a moment to straighten out, but once I get moving it loosens up.
 
Going down stairs is usually the last thing to come back, so what you’re saying doesn’t surprise me. The need to take a few steps to loosen up your knee after sitting is very normal and also takes a while to go away. Some stretching exercises might help improve this . A good one is the stair lunge where you put your operated leg up on a stair tread and then lean into it until you get to the point where bending stops. Push to some mild discomfort, but don’t go to the pain stage. Hold for a count of 10.
 
Since my right knee was done so long ago, I can't remember if this is normal at 9 months?
My right knee took much longer than my left to stop swelling. I don't think it went away until well into my second year. And, like you, I could climb the stairs, but struggled for a long time with descending normally.

It sounds like you are doing well and getting back to favorite activities. Just keep moving and it will continue to improve with time.

And remember: every knee is different -- even two knees in the same person!

:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @benne68 and @Jamie ....Jamie I do that exact stretch multiple times a day, and you are right, that definitely helps. I will just keep doing what I am doing one day at a time. Thanks again for your feedback, it is so helpful! Take care! :)
 
Hi all...so, is it possible to over do it at 10 months post? I think I might have. I am out of town and did a lot of walking and did aqua pt at the hotel. Knee is pretty stiff and warm to touch.
 
Yes, of course it’s possible to overdo things at 10 months. Remember those days long before you had knee problems and the fact that even with a younger, healthier body you still could do too much and end up hurting? Don’t worry, though. Just try and temper your activity a little bit for a while and take something for any pain you’re having (Extra Strength Tylenol is fine). Things should get better.

It was probably the aqua PT you did that got you. It’s very easy to overdo things when you’re in the water because you have the “support” of the water that keeps you from noticing how much you’re doing. I’d stay away from something like that when you’re already getting extra activity.
 
Thank you @Jamie. I do remember, sometimes it is also easy to forget about that. I will be more mindful of activities, and not try pushing myself to do everything all at once.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom