THR Just a little better every day -- I'll take it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I said to my better nine tenths, whoa, I'm going to need some help with the nails on my left foot, so she surprised me with a pedicure today. I thought we were just running some errands. It's akin to the overkill that led me to spend ten enthusiastic minutes on the exercise bicycle when five sedate ones were more in order. That led to a restless night, but between the pleasant afterburn and the pedicure, I have to admit that the lower ends of my legs feel great this evening. Also this evening, I took my newly-lovely feet out for their longest walk in several months, up and out from under the pines to a clearing about half a mile west of the house with a low western horizon over the Blue Ridge mountains about 30 miles away. There I sat down with binoculars and waited while the stars came out and the temperature dropped through freezing. As soon as I could tell exactly which way I was looking, I adjusted my perch to frame a slightly different swatch of sky and, with the binoculars, swept Comet PANSTARRS out of the twilight. As comets go, it's not much, but as a trophy, it'll do.
 
If it's not one thing, it's another. None too bad, but they do keep the mania ("I can walk!!") in check. First, now it's a mild outbreak of shingles. No, really, very mild. If I dress in pajamas ("lounge wear"), keep the shower dialed down to lukewarm, and keep the mind busy (easy enough as long as clients keep asking me to make their websites behave as they like, wisely or not) they're not so bad. They weren't diagnosed in time to take any medical steps to mitigate them, but if they're like last time, they'll disappear by mid-April on their own.

Anybody know if there's a causal relationship between our common surgeries and shingles? It seems a mighty coincidence to me.

I took a very short, unauthorized drive up to the mailbox today (quarter mile or so round trip) in Amy's automatic Subaru. Completely routine from getting in to driving to getting out, so I can tell my OS with some confidence that that's not going to be a problem when I next see him in about two weeks. Fortunately or un, the shingles and their sensitivity to touch are going to keep me from prematurely checking out the motorcycle (I refuse to ride in lounge wear, thank you, even just up the driveway and around the neighborhood -- I can too clearly imagine the mortification of explaining how I came to get road rash -- or hypothermia -- while riding in flannel pj's). And there's no way I'm donning protective gear when a simple tee-shirt sets off a round of itching (I have to ask myself about the wisdom of behaviors that call for Kevlar body armor and helmets, but that's just intimations of mortality intruding on my fun; this too shall pass).

Second, the numbness in my left leg is pretty clearly meralgia paresthetica -- Google that and THR and you'll end up back here in the Smartypants forums benefitting from the experiences of those who have gone before. It's caused by an abused nerve pinched by displaced or swollen muscles of the upper leg, some of the very ones that were so rudely stretched and spread out last month to gain access to the hip joint via posterior approach. It's characterized by tingling/burning sensations in the upper, outer thigh accompanied by numbness down the outside of the leg, aggravated by light touch but often relieved by more vigorous contact. And by heat or by ice (of course). Exactly. That may last a while -- up to several months. It's not alarming as long as it's no worse than it is and has a name. Still, put it on the list to mention to the OS; an official diagnosis is called for in case it needs treating.

Really, it's all OK: I can walk! I don't even limp much (if I concentrate).
 
Stargazer, ugh shingles, really? What do you mean you can't be treated? I only know this disease from the eye side, but patients do get better faster with treatment, even if it's caught late. So go see your doctor! As you know, shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox, and once we've had chicken pox it continues to live in our bodies in the basal ganglia of the spine. Stress and a suppressed immune system (major surgery??) can cause an outbreak. And we're about the same age so, no, I haven't had the shingles vaccine either, but boy are you making me rethink that one. Anyway, ugh, that totally sucks and I hope you feel better soon. Can your PT treat the numbness?
 
PT ended a couple of weeks ago and the tingling/numbness is one of those "revealed" things -- didn't really notice it while there were bigger fish to fry. It responds to massage, so I'm thinking that someone who really knows how to work it could probably help if it gets to be a real problem. I'm counting on it to improve as swelling continues to diminish. Hm, I say, hm with respect to treating shingles. The urgent care / ask-a-nurse lines gave me to understand that there wasn't a lot to be done unless they were caught early (and these have been going on for a couple of weeks, at first mistaken for narcotics itch) which jibes with the advice from a dermatologist I saw the last time this virus acted up (10 years or so ago). Sounds like fresh expertise is in order. Pathological patience ("just wait it out") may not be working in my favor this week. Thanks for the nudge.
 
The dermatologist would definitely know best, but are you sure the itching wasn't from the drugs? Also, there are new meds and ways of thinking about the disease in the past 10 years-- I definitely think a consult is in order.
 
Oh, I think some, most, or all of my early itching came from the Percocet. But it's been 3-4 weeks since I took anything stronger than Tylenol, and now I have these characteristic itches and red rashes brought out by even slight irritation from clothing, hot showers, etc. It's very familiar from last time. If there's new thinking about how to handle this, it's definitely time to make an appointment. Thanks!
 
Ditto what Barbara said, maybe you can still get the pills that reduce the shingles episode.

Sucks to have the old MP, mine is on my non-operated side. As my op lasted 3.5 hours, its not too surprising that the outside of that thigh is numb. Fortunately, I do not experience nerve pain along with the numbness. It just feels weird: not worth worrying about in the scheme of things.Everything feels so insignificant when I look at your photos of the universe, which are incredibly beautiful-- thanks for sharing.

I wonder if our surgical experience leaves us more susceptible to other bugs. I thought I had pink eye -- turns out I have a corneal ulcer. It wasn't caught early enough and is currently threatening my vision. Hopefully the new meds and eye specialist attention will sort it out. Meanwhile, I am wearing an eye patch around the house. If I still limped, and had a parrot on my shoulder, I might have a new career with Disney. Happily, the limp is history, I just look like a saddo!
 
How are you? Was it shingles? Hope all is well....
 
I love your attitude. Your experiences are very close to mine and at nearly 5 months I am a happy and ambulatory camper. All the best for your recovery.:kittykiss:
 
BarbaraR Not you! I thought this was stargazer's thread...... didn't he say he thought he had shingles a little while back?
 
BarbaraR No worries. I am a bit worried about Stargazer though.. but perhaps he is just progressing so well he isn't dropping by any more.
 
BarbaraR, DesignerGirl, et al! Sorry for any concerns my absence may have engendered. I *AM* doing great, and I just got tired of rehearsing my piddly*ss trifling bothers (shingles indeed! I have the most minor episodes of those anyone ever saw; they come, they go). Rewarding as it is visit here, something about it sometimes seemed to keep me focused too much on what was wrong rather than what was right about all this. But it was rude of me to just drop off. My apologies. One week became two, weeks became months.

I'm now inspired by your 6 month updates to chime in: the hip is perfect! No pain in it no matter what. I push a little beyond the angle limitations because I *missed* tying my shoelaces and trimming my toenails. And I got on my bicycle a couple of weeks ago and took it as easy as possible during a few cruises around the neighborhood. I put a softer seat on it to remind myself that I am on it to enjoy the ride, not to qualify for the Tour d'Whatever. Even so, I did not take it easy enough (of course) given the hilly nature of the Carolina foothills. "Flat" is a theoretic concept, only, round here, and for my troubles I have done something to the knee of the same leg, but the hip is perfect. Tendonitis, muscle strain, some cussed thing. Enough to get the cane out again to help it rest. This, too, shall pass. Recovery DOES continue past the four and five and six month marks but it becomes ever-lovin' tediously SLOW. I only *think* I can do anything now and it is increasingly hard to remember to take it easy. If not because of the surgery, then because that leg (and all of its joints and muscles) has been neglected for years.

Life has overwhelmed the details of surgery and recovery --as it should-- was all that really This Year?!? Impossible-- since then, we've sold my parents' house; Amy's filed for retirement; we're kicking the credit card bills into submission and getting our fiscal house in order; I'm picking up some new skills and learning (for the umpteenth time) how to keep records so what I do and what I bill for bear at least some resemblance to each other. Same old, same old. Except both my legs work! Carry on.
 
Recovery DOES continue past the four and five and six month marks but it becomes ever-lovin' tediously SLOW. I only *think* I can do anything now and it is increasingly hard to remember to take it easy. If not because of the surgery, then because that leg (and all of its joints and muscles) has been neglected for years.
This is so true Stargazer! For some recovery is measured in weeks - others in years. The good news is what was impossible yesterday becomes very easy soon after. Keep on keeping on! You'll get there!
 
so good to hear from you! Yes life does go on. I haven't posted in a while, was thinking about for my 6 month anniversary in 2 weeks. My hubby asked if I wanted a party to commemorate the date and I replied "bring it on". I'm doing very well also, my theory is when hip is forgettable (no pain) we forget to post. Sorry you are experiencing knee pain, it's always when one problem is solved, another pops up, isn't it. Saw my OS this past week and he emphasized the one year plan for recovery, so true. Good to hear from you, your posts were always so eloquent and funny.
 
Hello, gang. One Year Down today! The hip is great. I can tie my shoes (last time I was this pleased with that accomplishment, I was about three), clip my nails, lower myself into a kayak and clamber out without thinking (much) about it. I'm still paying for habits slowly developed as the hip failed -- who knew that muscle tone and endurance wouldn't come back as quickly and easily at 58 as they did at 28? Last year was for fixing up the joint; this year is for Getting Back In Shape, and no more excuses.

I ran into the surgical assistant out in the community a couple of months ago. He remembered my operation -- which is not really a good sign. He remembered because the femur head did not want to slip out of the joint for nuthin. It took quite a while to free it, he said, and lots of manipulation. I think the conversation either included the phrase, "Like twisting the drumstick off a Thanksgiving turkey" or came very near it. That would bear on the variety of nerve symptoms that have been slowest to heal. All of them ARE improving -- no tingling or burning in my left thigh for several months now, for instance -- but very slowly indeed compared to muscles and gristle and attitude.

Immodest and icky details follow; skip the next paragraph or read while peeking between your fingers if you're *sensitive*.

Which brings me to something slightly embarrassing and something slightly icky that I don't recall being any part of pre-op considerations. Since the operation, erections have become somewhat rare --over the course of the year, I could have given them names like hurricanes and still have a few letters to go-- and less, uhm, durable. Not many class 4's and 5's are making landfall, so to speak. All is not lost, but there is less sensation all around. As for icky, a probably related issue: I still have normal bowel function, about as regular/irregular as ever, but I have no sense of how "successful" I have been until I actually look. (Oh! Ick! Sorry.) Both conditions are improving, but the word of the day, and of the last several months, is "slowly." Except that in this area, "slowly" sounds much too fast. Variations on Kegel exercises are helping, but I can't say it's a fun workout.

OK, it's safe to read again. That's it for ick. I've no idea if those experiences are unique to me and my THR, or if they should be underlined as possible post-op issues. Neither would have made me decide against fixing the hip, but better to have been forewarned that such things might develop. (For that matter, maybe such a warning was down there in all the fine print; if so, I read it and forgot it.) Anyway, there you go.

Happy anniversary to my fellow Smarties (I might've called you "Boners" but not in this note). May you all walk straight and have only manageable surprises.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom