Guest viewing is limited

THR Just a little better every day -- I'll take it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, look at the time. Sure flies when you're... dealing with a sick dog whose care suddenly takes more attention than your new hip. He'll be fine; the house will air out; and the checking account will someday recover. Pretty sure vet bills don't fall anywhere near my Blue Cross benefits. Maybe I could find a way to describe him as a service animal (not if anyone ever met him). Loyal Cat takes every opportunity to remind me who's my real buddy.

Itching: never did try the coconut oil, but Benedryl seems to take care of it (with its own set of issues, natch), and cocoa butter feels and smells great, so even if it's not the same, it's pretty darn good. I've stepped back to only one (5/325) Percocet every 12 hours and -- pleasant surprise! -- that seems enough to control the dull ache in the hip and let me do my exercises without complaint from bones, joints, or deep tissues. It's also a low enough dose that the itching comes on slowly and not particularly viciously. That can change, of course. I'll see my MD for the first post-op visit tomorrow and will discuss options. I would love to step away from the narcotic entirely, or keep it around on an as-needed basis with OTC or other alternatives becoming my standard by-the-clock meds.

Things I am tired of: Ted stockings, dressing like an invalid, washing my hair in the sink (waterboarding, anyone?) rather than standing in the shower like every human being has since australopothicus afarensis, and keeping track of bowel movements as if I were scoping out a futures market in toilet paper. Oh, and not being able to concentrate. Not taking enough meds to blame them for that, but still can't seem to stay focused enough to do half a day's work in any four. Not such a brutal list, really, but still tired of them.

State of the world: I am slightly spryer now than I was before surgery, except of course that I am repeatedly reminded that particular sequences of twists and turns can detach the boney structure of my left leg the way a push and a twist will release a Nikon bayonet mount. For the moment, the key moves are beyond my volitional range of motion -- barring a lucky fall or a determined lunge -- but that won't always be so. So every move is still bounded by a few seconds' consideration, "Is this safe?" Can't wait for that to become either completely internalized or almost completely moot. Still... I can raid the refrigerator on my own, and a moment's hesitation is much better than having my lens fall off.
 
Sounds about right to me Stargazer....I'd say you are even a bit ahead of the game. To have experienced the whole range of recovery 'issues', you just need a spell of uncontrollable sobbing-- about nothing. It freaks everyone out and garners a lot of sympathy.
 
Vida
I guess it might be a good tactic but you must make sure it's the right audience. I guess if I did it in front of my friends from work that visited me last night they might not visit me again. They might not want to work with me either. Who cares? You got to let it all hang loose occasionally.
I think I acted too well last night though, they might rat on me and try to get me back to work sooner than later. Maybe I should have added a spell of sobbing during the night. I'll save it for the next visit. Thanks for the suggestion!
 
Stargazer, I grew up in the Piedmont Triad area, and really do miss the lovely changing of the seasons, especially this time of year when the brown woods are laced with a deep pink hue. But, before I wax too poetically, I'll change the subject and say that I also have the dogs' clicking toenails on the hardwood floors in common with you. When combined with "the look," there's nothing more guilt-engendering. I had LTHR posterior surgery only five days before you, and am happy to report that after tripping over the crutches and then the cane, I've ditched them both, except when I go for longer walks outside. You will surely do the same, soon. Continue to use your meds as the consummate scapegoat for as long as you like, my dear.

Cheers,

HHH
 
luluohio Sorry, not meant to be a tactic! It just happens, that's the point. Lucky are those who escape a crying jag for no apparent reason.
 
Hi:
Just saw your post on getting into bed and having trouble lifting that leg up on your own. When I had my first hip replacement a pyhsio therapist in the hospital taught me to use the handle end of the cane (hooked under my foot) to assist me in lifting my leg up. Worked like a charm. That might be an easier fix for you. Hope it helps.:loll:
 
In no particular order, but before today's news: Brigitte, I tried lifting my rebellious leg in with the crooked end, but since mine is a collapsible, elasticized tent-pole of a cane, I more or less numchucked myself with only comedic results. No problem, tho: wait a couple of days and all is working again. In and out of bed is no problem now. Watch this!

HHH, our seasons are a little behind the Triad's but the (we hope not premature) buds are out in the trees and producing those delicate spring-time hues everywhere we look (we live in a deep woods with lots of windows). When I saw my PT to the front door this morning, I realized I had left my walker and my cane in the bedroom. She didn't notice, but THAT was certainly premature. By a few days anyway. I went back, carefully, and reclaimed the stick. Thanks for the glimpse of seasons to come.

All, my wife has HAD it with doggy care, self-care, student care, and (truth to tell) me care for a bit. I'll pass the crying jag privileges on; she can use them more effectively. Since I'm my own boss (slavedriver!), there's no sympathy from HQ. I try to be understanding with me, but it's hard to feel really good and still only manage to get two hours of billable work in at a whack. February's deadlines will be met, but it's going to be close. ("Going to be"? It's already close!)

The PT had me doing some are-you-kidding-me-that's-impossible! exercises this morning, then off to the MD for my first post-op visit this afternoon. WHO KNEW (supposedly lots of you did) how exhausting that would be?!? I have been wiped out as I have not been wiped out since before this started. Maybe on days one and two (but I mostly slept thru those). I am rid of staples (yay! shower tomorrow when I can enjoy it and not think, "don't fall over" constantly); no more Ted stockings; approval of plan to ditch Percocet entirely (down to 1 per 12 hours, so this should be easy) but no Ibuprofen while still on blood thinners (duh! slaps forehead, quotes Scarecrow, I should have thought of that for you!).

And a not-so-close neighbor did a not-so-convenient chicken soup run for me/us today. Those cans will be on the Christmas table this year for sure -- Andy Warhol candelabra. 30 minutes to the doc, 90 minutes there, 30 minutes back, and we were both too worn out to cook and almost too worn out to eat; so thank you, Chrystal!
 
Stargazer, try using your good leg hooked under your operated leg to lift it up. Someone told me about that before I had surgery and it helped a lot.

My husband had back surgery 3 years ago, and came home from the hospital very debilitated and short tempered from his exhaustion, the pain, and all the meds he was talking. He was pretty hard on me, to the point where my stepson had to remind him that I was his caregiver so he better be nice to me. Gratitude goes a long way. Acknowledge your wife for all the things she has taken on to help you, say please and thank you, and do something special for her that she likes (even if it's just call one of her friends to take her to lunch so she can get away from you and vent). Tell her you love and appreciate her. It will go a long way.

I hope this helps. We're on the same schedule-- my surgery was the 13 th-- and I'm finding that I feel stronger every day. Hope you do, too.
 
Hi Stargazer - love your wonderful sense of humor! That in itself will get you through, even on the not so good days! And we all have them! In Canada they are big on Physio, but after a few very painful sessions with my first hip replacement I decided to do things by the way I felt. If it hurts too much, or their regime is too intense, I simply slow it down. Too bad if it's not the way they expect me to do things. I feel a lot better and I don't believe it is impeding my progress. Listen to your body and go from there. All things in moderation is working quite well for me. My left leg still hurts at times 10 months after the replacement, whereas the right one done on Jan 10 this year seems to be doing great. Go figure!! Anyway, it all takes time, and one of these months it will all be a distant memory.:dancy: I HOPE!!
 
Agree with Brigitte .....beware the physio induced setback. I too discharged myself from the 'one size fits all' program after diligently doing exercises that left me in crippling pain. A stationary bike and walking, combined with some stretching, has worked wonders for my ROM and gait improvement. I'm very impressed that you have been able to work at all so soon. I also work from home but my creativity is still suffering 15 weeks post surgery. Have just accepted a nice assignment, so here's hoping.
 
Please don't cut back on the meds too quickly. You are still early out and doing some major PT. You need those meds to keep mobile. Hope you are getting some rest!
 
Hey, gang, thanks. The leg-that-won't-go-to-bed issue is fixed; the PT showed me that "hook it in with your good leg" move (just so, DrBabs) and it worked fine. As promised, it was only needed for a couple of days tho. Teh Spouse and I -- We're fine, really. Just passing along crying jag privileges if and when needed since they'll really do me no good at all. Not her thing either, really, so may expire unused. (We've known each other since 1971, but only got together in 1998 -- which sounded like "last week" in my head until I looked at the numbers just now -- so we never forget what wonderful boons we are to each other.) Meds -- 1/2 percocet every 12 hours seems not to trigger much itching; that and a healthy hit of acetamenophin every six hours (on the backbeat as it were) has the pain well in hand. Today, anyway. Always willing to use up the prescription and call in more as needed. I'm still not icing as much as I should; the coumadin (I am told) is making it really hard to find and maintain a comfortable room temperature; a big ole bag of slush on my rump does not help in that regard. Still, if I'm going to fight to stay warm / cool anyway, I might as well use it. Springing out of bed, waltzing down the hall, watusi-ing to the freezer door. It's fun to be mobile, and and all these new gaits fascinate the dogs and cats (one of whom looks at me just a little as if the herd needs thinning). Let's try it now while I sort out some web problems for a client. They better be simple ones.
 
Vida, just took on a new, small, long-anticipated project here, too. It's the first time in weeks, maybe months, that business has come knocking that I didn't think, "Oh, lord. What do they want now?" which is fatal to the bottom line. Try as I might, that attitude shows through in the questions I ask, the things for which I show enthusiasm (or its lack), and the speed with which calls get returned. Today's prospect doesn't require a lot of creativity, thank goodness, just meat-and-potatoes webwork. Brilliance can wait.

Brigitte / Vida: the PT is only booked for five more sessions . So far I have to say her exercises have done me more good than I would've done for myself. I can and will move the hip under supervision in ways I wouldn't try on my own; once I know it can do x, even under such artificial conditions, I'm way more likely to keep using it that way. The stationary bicycle is ready when I am; I'll get the PT to oversee its first use just to be sure I'm not about to do something stupid
 
Stargazer
Well it's good that you are seeing some improvement with PT because my OS doesn't believe in it. I think even without PT I'm moving my leg is ways that I didn't think i would be able to. So I guess it shows we can probably live a normal life with an artificial hip, thank goodness. I was wondering, it took me a long time to really make up my mind if I should or if i shouldn't have the hip replacement. Then I got to the point I didn't have a choice. All is going well but I think I over did it by walking about a mile with a cane the yesterday. So today was a down day for me. I needed to rest, I hope tomorrow i will be back on track. I'm glad to hear you are doing better and getting up and around. Keep it up. I really thought after reading all these stories I would know better not to over do it but it just happens. So be careful don't make the same mistake.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Just a little better every day -- I'll take it!


So I guess it shows we can probably live a normal life with an artificial hip, thank goodness.

Believe me, luluohio, when I tell you that the day is coming when you won't think about your hip at all. It's been 2 years and 2 months since my hip replacement---and I am living my "normal" life. And if it wasn't for the forum, I would never think about my hip at all. I spent 10 years being pretty miserable and in a lot of pain---I have none of that now and can do the all things I want to do except, of course, have a 25 year old body. So you, too, will go back to your "normal" life but the healing takes TIME and you're only 6 weeks post op-----wait til 6 months post op and you'll begin to really know what I mean. Just gotta find a little PATIENCE.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Just a little better every day -- I'll take it!
 
Whoa, a mile with a cane a month from now, when I'll be as experienced with my new hardware as you are, luluohio, sounds otherworldly. I'm planning an evening with some local musicians at the Civic Center three weeks from now and figuring if I take it slowly I can safely get from the parking lot to our seats, and maybe, just maybe, put in an appearance at the after-the-concert show later that night. By summer, I want to back on my cycles (both motor- and bi-) and taking walks in the woods with the dogs; don't know if there'll be any real hiking in it for me this summer or not. We'll see. Somewhere between my tentative escalation of mobility and your gangbusters-hood is something ideal. Hope you're only down for a day.

I think the best thing the PT does for me is remind me how the leg *should* move and show me what's safe to try. I've put up with decreasing ROM in my left leg for so long that we've all (me, myself, and all my muscles) forgotten what to ask of it. Years of habits favoring my rusted-up old hinge need to be unlearned, preferably without breaking anything in the process. That said, I think I'm getting plenty of exercise and practice on my own and will try to cut back the PT to twice (once?) a week -- I'm not sure I have any say in it. I'd rather stretch it out into newer and later phases of recovery than use up all my insurance on stuff I can already do.
 
Jaycey was absolutely right. Much as I like the clear-headedness and absence of itching that comes with the avoidance of oxycodone (with or without benedryl), 2 weeks post-op was too early for me to cut back to NSAIDs alone. Awoke with a sore hip this morning that got worse as the day wore on. By 11, I was pretty sure it wasn't just a bit of muscle pain, 'cause it just kept deepening and building. Half a percocet (the MD on Monday reminded me that they're scored for easy division) seems to have fixed that right up.

In older news, anyone concerned about the dog should rest easy: my poisoning that dog was the best thing I ever did for him. Two days at the veterinary spa on IVs and liver meds and he's acting five or six years younger than at any time in recent memory. All kinds of ills seem to be cured. I just flat misremembered what was safe to give him and buttered up two Excedrin PMs for the old guy last Friday morning -- I thought, incorrectly, that we used to do that to help him sleep off this and that ache and pain. WRONG. Acetamenophin is NFP -- Not For Puppehs. The 1000mg I gave him was at least 300% the maximum therapeutic dose and maybe worse (depends on your source, many say the permissable dose is zero). Anyway, Old Dog and Huggable Dog are holding down the floor in my bedroom while Loyal Cat makes sure the bed covers don't move. And, meanwhile, my half a percocet has me up and putting in a billable day on the computer without discernable fuzz, itch or other reasonable complaint. My biggest issue is with the coffee I made this morning -- it's really awful.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Just a little better every day -- I'll take it!
Oh, yeah, Stargazer---you don't want to mess around with the drugs this early on. You won't get points or stars or medals or any recognition for being a tough guy and suffering---so take those magic pills and don't hurt. Willing to bet this is one of the few time that poisoning a dog ended up making him better than before. Does your dog think he was lucky? I'm sure he's forgiven you. Good thing you didn't do it to Loyal Cat---they're not as forgiving as dogs.

If you don't mind telling, where in NC are you?

Take care and keep us posted (we enjoy your posts). We care. [Bonesmart.org] Just a little better every day -- I'll take it!
 
Don't mind at all: near the town of Rutherford College, which is halfway between Hickory and Morganton, or, if that's no help, halfway between Charlotte and Asheville. And no, not trying to be heroic here: I live in the 21st Century and I intend to take full advantage of 21st Century Pharmaceuticals. I owe that to all those poor sods throughout history who got a swig of brandy and bit on sticks while barbers hacked off limbs.

It's just that once I got down to 2.5mg of oxycodone and a hit of acetaminophen (I never spell that the same way twice), which is what half a Percocet is, I thought, hey, a bit more acet out of its own bottle and forego that microscopic dose of oxy and you're good to go. No more itching, no more fuzz. Good deal. I got clearance from the OS to give it a try at my post-op inspection, but it's significant that his P.A. added, "Good luck, and remember, we'll refill that if you need us to." Well, it turns out that 2.5mg of oxy is nothing to sneeze at -- at least in my system. Never underestimate what just a few of the right molecules can do for you. Timothy Leary couldn't have explained that any better than my half a tablet did this morning.

As for Old Dog and Loyal Cat, you have them sized up. Old Dog thinks life is simply grand and if he knows I almost killed him, he doesn't show it; Loyal Cat would be marking time and planning exactly how to filet me in my sleep. By now, I am sure she would be perfectly certain that between the smell of coumadin in my sweat and the slow-moving leg, she could bleed me out through that left femoral artery. She might try to hang me in a tree, but that's beyond even her feline wiles -- she's never solved the mystery of the door latch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom